The Student Room Group

10-year-old British girl weighs 24 stone

Seven primary school children weighed more than 20 stone, data shows

Hospital stays for child obesity-related reasons rise four-fold in 10 years

Hundreds of thousands suffer from problems usually found in middle age

'The size of the child obesity epidemic has been illustrated by details of England’s fattest boys and girls.

Seven primary school children tipped the scales at more than 20 stone between 2006 and 2012 including a 10-year-old girl who weighed more than 24 stone and a 11-year-old boy of over 23 stone.

The figures follow warnings that that British children are eating themselves into an early grave, with hundreds of thousands suffering from high blood pressure, liver disease and health problems usually associated with middle and old age.

NHS statistics show the number of children admitted to hospital with obesity-related conditions has risen four-fold in just a decade.

The latest figures come from the National Child Measurement Programme, an England-wide scheme in which schoolchildren are weighed and measured twice before the age of 12.

A Freedom of Information request revealed that in that seven youngsters weighed in at more than 20 stone between 2006 and 2012.

They included the 10-year-old girl, who lived in Hounslow, west London.

When measured and weighed during 2006-2007, she was 4ft 10in and weighed 24 stone 5lb.

A woman of average height would be judged overweight if she weighed half that amount.

An 11-year-old boy from Manchester was 4ft 4in and weighed 23 stone 11lb in 2011-12.

This is about twice the healthy weight of a man who is 5ft 10in tall.

The same year, an 11-year-old girl from Bolton, Greater Manchester, weighted 22 stone 11lb, while a 10-year-old boy from Wandsworth, south London, weighed 21 stone 10lb.

One in ten children are obese when they start primary school and one in five are obese when they leave, with experts warning that today’s youngsters run a real risk of being the first generation to die at an earlier age than their parents.

Professor Mitch Blair of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health said that psychological health can also be damaged.

He told the Sunday Times: ‘Being severely overweight at such a young age has clear physical health implications, including a higher risk of diabetes, heart disease and joint problems.

‘In addition, there can be serious psychological repercussions teenage years are tough enough without the extra burden of being obese.’
One in ten children are obese when they start primary school and one in five are obese by the time they leave (file photo)

One in ten children are obese when they start primary school and one in five are obese by the time they leave (file photo)

Recent research from the United States found people who are stigmatised for being fat are more likely to become obese.

Similarly, those who are already dangerously overweight are less likely to lose weight if they feel they are being treated differently because of their size.

It is thought ‘fattism’ drives those who are already sensitive about their weight to comfort eat. Fear of ridicule may also mean they avoid exercise.

Research by Imperial College London found that soaring numbers of British children need hospital care for asthma, sleep problems and diabetes and other problems linked to because their weight being out of control.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2384389/The-10-year-old-girl-weighs-24-stone-Britains-shocking-childhood-obesity-epidemic-revealed-official-

What are your thoughts TSR?

Scroll to see replies

Right, where the **** are social services in this? What the **** is going on.
Reply 2
How does a 10 year old frame take on 24 stone? Surely she can't walk or anything...
Reply 3
If kids can get this fat then I'm breaking out the the pizzas for pet cats.
Obese = fat = lazy.

Thats my viewpoint. No doubt I'll be shouted down and reported. But that's the problem. We no longer have boundaries in society. Anything goes and personal and family responsibility have been eroded so much that peer and social pressures are no longer allowed as we've turned into a society of 'its never my fault.'
Reply 5
Original post by MatureStudent36
Obese = fat = lazy.

Thats my viewpoint. No doubt I'll be shouted down and reported. But that's the problem. We no longer have boundaries in society. Anything goes and personal and family responsibility have been eroded so much that peer and social pressures are no longer allowed as we've turned into a society of 'its never my fault.'

I would normally agree with you, but a child as young as 10 did not get to 24 stone on their own. Your parents control your diet at that age so i feel nothing but pity for that poor soul.
Reply 6
Parents, why you no parenting?!
Obese = fat

Spoiler

Though I would agree with you normally that obesity usually boils down to poor diet/ exercise/ choices by the individual, a 10 year old does not get that fat on their own, the parents control the diet, control how much they exercise, they're to blame here.
Reply 8
Screenshot or it didn't happen.
Why did the school not report it to social services, it's so damaging to her health and was really obvious before she got to 24 stone. The government make it so hard for people to foster/adopt because of all the arbitrary criteria but they leave children with parents that are completely unfit.
I'm wondering why social services aren't investigating this when they are all too willing to investigate people who have baseless accusations thrown at them from people on the internet, that's for sure.

Also finding it hard to imagine what a 20+ stone 10 year old looks like, poor child.
Reply 11
It's really sad seeing kids like that. Kids are naturally full of energy, they can eat tons of sugar and because they like running around so much, they come to no harm except rot their baby teeth. For them to get fat (not even 24 stone fat), they'd have to have been essentially caged (sit down, you can't go play with your friends) or sedated (ADHD drugs and similar). There will be a small number of children whose genes require them to be fed less, and of course there are disabilities, but looking around, that can't be the case for all the fat kids.
meanwhile in Africa..
Reply 13
Obese = fat
'

:holmes:

elementary, my dear watson!
Reply 14
If she ever puts on a necklace and a belt at the same time she'll turn into sausages.
Reply 15
My mind is just... messed after trying to imagine this girl...
Unless some of these have genetic conditions or a chronic disease of some sort, then there really is no justification for this. I'm actually surprised she hasn't had a heart attack.
Wow.......so I'm guessing she is overweight then? [:/]

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
how can a 10 year old get that fat seriously???? does she have like an illness or something? how can they allow this? i can't even imagine what she would look like
Reply 19
Original post by Norton1
If she ever puts on a necklace and a belt at the same time she'll turn into sausages.

i lol'd

Quick Reply

Latest