Bus Lanes? Should They Be Turned Into Express Lanes For Those Who Can Afford It?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
WilliamFoster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I have had my licence forjust over a year and I'm sick of driving in London. You look around and you see people who could just as well walk or take a train. I live in bloody Hertforshire so it's not like I can walk into London, and the trains stink.
I think the government should step back a BIT (not totally) and let the market forces take some control. Dont you think that these rubbish bus lanes should be turned into express lanes for those who can afford it?
It's not like you have to pay to drive around London, but just pay that bit more to get around faster. I remember Jeremy Clarkson said this sarcastically but I have fully taken to the idea.
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No.

The whole point is that buses don't get bogged down in traffic like you do. If you want to drive in that lane, I suggest you click here.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Makes perfect sense:

make public transport slower
people who used public transport start driving too
congestion gets even worse
just under half the people decide that it's worth an extra couple of quid to save a few minutes in a traffic jam...

but because the overall number of cars on the road has increased you end up paying extra to have the same travel time as before (and the poor people have to spend a bit longer in traffic jams)

Here's a novel idea - why not move nearer to London - or avoid travelling in so often :eek:
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Makes perfect sense:

make public transport slower
people who used public transport start driving too
congestion gets even worse
just under half the people decide that it's worth an extra couple of quid to save a few minutes in a traffic jam...

but because the overall number of cars on the road has increased you end up paying extra to have the same travel time as before (and the poor people have to spend a bit longer in traffic jams)

Here's a novel idea - why not move nearer to London - or avoid travelling in so often :eek:
Once again...a good point made Pencil Queen.....

Btw- i don't know which one it was...but congrats on your 4000th!

G
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Bus lanes are god send, it takes me between 30-40 minutes to get into universitry in the morning, if there wasn't bus lanes down Oxford Road and Salford Crescent it would take me a good hour to get into uni during rush hour.

Buses when run well are brilliant the Oxford Road Manchester service should teach the rest of the UK how to do it. My only objection with buses is the pay the driver thing, I would rather pay a bit more and pay a conductor, this would knock 10 minutes of my journey.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No of course they shouldn't, don't be ridiculous.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The answer to that question is no.

I have a funny feeling we might be seeing 'express lanes' brought in by the government in the future though. Obciously you will have to pay for the premium. Greedy f*ckers.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
The answer to that question is no.

I have a funny feeling we might be seeing 'express lanes' brought in by the government in the future though. Obciously you will have to pay for the premium. Greedy f*ckers.
Pah, this Foster bloke likes to pretend he's being controversial.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Pah, this Foster bloke likes to pretend he's being controversial.

'Foster sux' - ^mjg^.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
'Foster sux' - ^mjg^.
Once again that guy proves he is the fount of all knowledge.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
'Foster sux' - ^mjg^.
Incorrect.

"Roster Sucks!" - ^mjg^
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I may be a hippy but at least I know I won't be pulluting the earth my pro public transport views.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Once again that guy proves he is the fount of all knowledge.
What ^mjg^ says, goes.

Roster Sucks!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What happened to MJG did he decide he no longer had to be an ego boost?
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
He left, can't remember why, probably to spend more time with his LSE homies.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
He logs in from time to time, but he doesn't reply to threads etc. as he promised not to post.

He also got his LSE reply back as well.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *reasoning*)
What ^mjg^ says, goes.

Roster Sucks!
Well no, he said 'Foster and Maddox sux'. He might have said that as well but he defo said the above.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Did they offer him a place then? As a cleaner I mean?
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *reasoning*)
He logs in from time to time, but he doesn't reply to threads etc. as he promised not to post.

He also got his LSE reply back as well.
How do you know all this?
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well no, he said 'Foster and Maddox sux'. He might have said that as well but he defo said the above.
Which one?

When he first made his sig, he put "Roster sucks!" - Nobody said anything as it was unbelievably funny, the spelling error.

He then changed it to something like:

"Foster + maddock + raydenuk + edders +ELTON JOHN Suck!"
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.17%
No (601)
65.83%

Watched Threads