Share Your Historical Facts

Watch
Ladyliesel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi! For anyone interested in the past, I thought we could share some facts which we find interesting or random. Here's some of mine:

- Before using guide dogs became widespread some people protested that giving dogs this job was unnatural.
- At about the age of 4 Alfred the Great was sent to Rome to meet Pope Leo IV
- A beer flood in 1814 in London killed 9 people.
Platinum Mech
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Napoleon was a big fan of Bass beer and wanted to set up a Bass-type brewery in France, but found that the quality of the local water wasn't good enough. :ahee:

That's one historical fact I like that immediately sprung to my mind, I'll return to the thread once I've thought of some others.
AristoBrat!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
1. Sometimes Bruce Lee moved so fast, that they needed to slow the film down to see his moves.
2. Leonardo Da Vinci invented scissors.
3. In 1830 ketchup was used as a medicine.
4. In early times people got married preferably in June, because they had their annual bath in May. Consequently in June they still smelled and looked good. However, if the man started to smell, the bride carried the bouquet of flowers… Now, it is a tradition of the modern wedding.

Oh and this!
http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/st...ritish-history
michaelhaych
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The time difference between Stegosaurus and Tyrannosaurus Rex is larger than the gap between Tyrannosaurus and Humans.

Fryda Lyngstad, one of the singers from the band ABBA, was the result of a forced mating between a Norwegian woman and a Nazi officer under the Lebersborn programme.

The current USA flag was designed by a 17 year old as part of a school project for which he received the grade B-, it was later changed to an A after it was adopted by the presidential proclamation.

All of the bullets fired by John Hinckley Jr during his attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan missed the president, yet one bullet bounced off his bullet-proof car and rebounded into Reagan; the vehicle that was supposed to protect his life almost killed him.

10th US President John Tyler who was elected in 1841 still has 2 living grandchildren
Arbolus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
At one point during the 13th century there were four separate states all calling themselves the Roman Empire. None of them ever controlled the city of Rome itself.
Creat0r
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
- Myth has it the British invented concentration camps during the Boer war, actually the Americans used them before us in the Philippines, which the British camps were based on. The Spanish were known to use concentration camps in a rough sense before the Americans.

- 'Rattenkrieg' means 'Rat War', named after the battles in the sewers during the Battle of Stalingrad.

- Nobody knows why the Bronze Age collapsed. Nobody knows what destroyed thousands of cities and wiped out civilisations at the time.

- Alfred the Great hid in a swamp, the last remaining outpost in England, then defeated the vikings.
Ladyliesel
Rep:
?
Yay! Thanks to everyone who has participated so far Keep 'em coming

(Original post by Platinum Mech)
Napoleon was a big fan of Bass beer and wanted to set up a Bass-type brewery in France, but found that the quality of the local water wasn't good enough. :ahee:
Sucked to be him. In more ways than one.

I hadn't come across this before. Cheers!

(Original post by michaelhaych)
The time difference between Stegosaurus and Tyrannosaurus Rex is larger than the gap between Tyrannosaurus and Humans.
It really makes you realise how young humans are compared to the rest of the Earth.

(Original post by Arbolus)
At one point during the 13th century there were four separate states all calling themselves the Roman Empire. None of them ever controlled the city of Rome itself.
I'd definitely feel cheated if I tried to go on holiday to the "Roman" Empire back then

(Original post by Creat0r)
- Myth has it the British invented concentration camps during the Boer war, actually the Americans used them before us in the Philippines, which the British camps were based on. The Spanish were known to use concentration camps in a rough sense before the Americans.
I'd heard that myth too and believed it for a long time.

In England the age of consent for heterosexual sex was set at 12 in 1275 during the reign of Edward I, and the wording of the law applied it to girls rather than boys.

During family occasions Tsar Nicholas II and King George V would sometimes be confused for each other by guests and servants, as they looked so similar.
Rlithgow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The first tin opener wasn't invented until 20 years after the conventional tin food can.:rolleyes:
Short Story Long
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Your beer flood one reminds me of a molasses flood in 1919 somewhere that killed 21 people an injured 150.
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Winston Churchill was Chancellor of the University of Bristol for longer than Joseph Stalin was General Secretary of the Soviet Union.
Platinum Mech
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I remembered some other interesting little historical facts related to this building that I recently took a photo of in the town of Barnard Castle in County Durham.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  77.4 KB

Apparently, this building, which is now a restaurant, was given to a man called Miles Forrest by Richard III during his reign in 1484. Miles Forrest is named by Sir Thomas More in his 'History of King Richard III', which he wrote in the early 16th century, as one of the murderers of the Princes in the Tower (though there are good reasons not to take More's story of the murders of the princes as gospel), and there is a legend that Forrest was given this building by Richard as a reward for his involvement in murdering the princes. However, there isn't any evidence to support that story, though I've heard that there is a carving of a boar symbol - Richard's emblem - on a rear wall of the restaurant. Also, Oliver Cromwell reportedly once dined in this building in the 17th century when it was an inn.

Across the road from this building is also a hotel where Charles Dickens reportedly stayed at some time in the late 1830s while researching for a novel (Nicolas Nickleby, it might have been?), though I didn't get a photo of that. There's quite an impressive amount of notable history in Barnard Castle for a town of only about 5k people.
Ladyliesel
Rep:
?
I remembered some other interesting little historical facts related to this building that I recently took a photo of in the town of Barnard Castle in County Durham.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  77.4 KB

Apparently, this building, which is now a restaurant, was given to a man called Miles Forrest by Richard III during his reign in 1484. Miles Forrest is named by Sir Thomas More in his 'History of King Richard III', which he wrote in the early 16th century, as one of the murderers of the Princes in the Tower (though there are good reasons not to take More's story of the murders of the princes as gospel), and there is a legend that Forrest was given this building by Richard as a reward for his involvement in murdering the princes. However, there isn't any evidence to support that story, though I've heard that there is a carving of a boar symbol - Richard's emblem - on a rear wall of the restaurant. Also, Oliver Cromwell reportedly once dined in this building in the 17th century when it was an inn.

Across the road from this building is also a hotel where Charles Dickens reportedly stayed at some time in the late 1830s while researching for a novel (Nicolas Nickleby, it might have been?), though I didn't get a photo of that. There's quite an impressive amount of notable history in Barnard Castle for a town of only about 5k people.
I hadn't heard about Forrest before. Hmm...all these things we will never know.

In 1961 the Suicide Act received Royal Assent. It de-criminalised the act of committing suicide itself, but made it a crime to help an individual commit suicide or to advise or council suicide.

The shortest war on record was fought between Zanzibar and England in 1896. Zanzibar surrendered after 30 - 40 minutes.
Platinum Mech
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ladyliesel)
I hadn't heard about Forrest before. Hmm...all these things we will never know.
I think his surname is actually meant to be 'Forest', judging from the Internet... So keep that in mind if you want to do more research on him.
Ladyliesel
Rep:
?
I think his surname is actually meant to be 'Forest', judging from the Internet... So keep that in mind if you want to do more research on him.
I may forgive you for that
thebiggy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The biggest lynching in american history was of 11 white Italian Americans in 1891.

This fact for me is important because it highlights just how ignorant most people are of how they are being divided and conquered with false history.

http://www.niaf.org/milestones/year_1891.asp
Cleomenes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To this day, Salman Rushdie still carries a fatwa by Ayatollah Khomeini ordering his death, which can never be removed.

Winston Churchill and Martin Luther-King Jr. were both heavy alcoholics.

At various points in his life, Kim Jong-il was temporarily the world's largest buyer of: Hennessy Cognac and Mercedes Cars.

David Cameron bought Nicholas Sarkozy the complete box set of "Allo Allo" for his birthday once.

Emperor Tiberius passed several laws into the Roman Empire unwillingly, and on the laws themselves it is inscribed "passed by the Emperor under request from his mother."

King Richard III actually did have a deformed back, and his last words were "Treason, treason!"

The only reason Abraham Lincoln turned the American Civil War into a fight over slavery was to win the support of Britain and France.

Aristocrats in Ancient Rome wore purple because it was the most expensive dye to create.

Macbeth was actually a very good King of Scotland.

The first country to grant women the vote was New Zealand.

During World War II many English paratroopers carried round a pencil in case of an emergency, these pencils had removable lead, concealing a map of Nazi Germany inside.

The Vikings discovered the Americas far before Christopher Columbus.

The first novel ever to portray the police in a favourable light was Charles Dickens' "Bleak House".

World War I started because a man named Archy Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cleomenes)
To this day, Salman Rushdie still carries a fatwa by Ayatollah Khomeini ordering his death, which can never be removed.

Winston Churchill and Martin Luther-King Jr. were both heavy alcoholics.

At various points in his life, Kim Jong-il was temporarily the world's largest buyer of: Hennessy Cognac and Mercedes Cars.

David Cameron bought Nicholas Sarkozy the complete box set of "Allo Allo" for his birthday once.

Emperor Tiberius passed several laws into the Roman Empire unwillingly, and on the laws themselves it is inscribed "passed by the Emperor under request from his mother."

King Richard III actually did have a deformed back, and his last words were "Treason, treason!"

The only reason Abraham Lincoln turned the American Civil War into a fight over slavery was to win the support of Britain and France.

Aristocrats in Ancient Rome wore purple because it was the most expensive dye to create.

Macbeth was actually a very good King of Scotland.

The first country to grant women the vote was New Zealand.

During World War II many English paratroopers carried round a pencil in case of an emergency, these pencils had removable lead, concealing a map of Nazi Germany inside.

The Vikings discovered the Americas far before Christopher Columbus.

The first novel ever to portray the police in a favourable light was Charles Dickens' "Bleak House".

World War I started because a man named Archy Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry.
Isn't the Richard III thing a matter of controversy? Using modern technology they found that the hunchback on that painting was added at a later date, propaganda...?

Also, the police had only been around for a few years when Bleak House was published!

I have no idea what the Archy Duke thing is, or how Macbeth's reign can be more a matter of fact than opinion, or how you can absolutely know that Lincoln didn't oppose slavery also out of principle :lolwut:
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
Isn't the Richard III thing a matter of controversy? Using modern technology they found that the hunchback on that painting was added at a later date, propaganda...?

Also, the police had only been around for a few years when Bleak House was published!

I have no idea what the Archy Duke thing is, or how Macbeth's reign can be more a matter of fact than opinion, or how you can absolutely know that Lincoln didn't oppose slavery also out of principle :lolwut:
I think you're right about the painting. However, I seem to recall that the skeleton they found recent did have a bent spine. I don't know if that could have been inflicted post-mortem though - his body wasn't exactly treated with respect.

EDIT: It was a medical condition apparently:
http://www.le.ac.uk/richardiii/science/spine.html
Cleomenes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)

No, when they found his skeleton last year they discovered that he did indeed have a curved spine.

True on the second one.

Have you not watched Blackadder? The Archy Duke thing was a reference, thought I'd add it onto the end as a joke.

Okay, change it to "Macbeth was an incredibly popular King at the time of his reign in Scotland."

I didn't say he didn't oppose it, I said the only reason he made the American Civil War about slavery was to blackmail Britain and France into supporting him over the South.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
True on the second one.
Which does somewhat diminish its impressiveness...

Okay, change it to "Macbeth was an incredibly popular King at the time of his reign in Scotland."
It wasn't exactly unusual for a medieval king to be very popular, but I'd be interested to know your source, considering he died in the Dark Age where reliable historical information was sparse.

I didn't say he didn't oppose it, I said the only reason he made the American Civil War about slavery was to blackmail Britain and France into supporting him over the South.
You said 'the only reason' Lincoln made abolitionism the centrepoint of the civil war was to win European support. There's no way at all you can know this and I think there's a good chance he had a humanitarian streak that would have stood alongside his political astuteness.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.32%
I'm not sure (3)
2.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (41)
32.28%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.36%
I'm not a current university student (58)
45.67%

Watched Threads