The Student Room Group

activated RNA nucleotides?

hi, would someone be able to explain to me in pretty simple terms why RNA nucleotides have to be 'activated' to form the mRNA strand?

thanks in advance for any help :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
BUMP

anyone?
any help is appreciated
Your question is not very clear. What do you mean activated?
They might need to be "primed" with energy from an ATP molecule so that they have enough energy to for a bond with other RNA nucleotides.
When a bond is made, it either takes in energy or releases it. Normally bonds which require an input of energy to form won't formed spontaneously, so the molecules need to be "activated"/"primed"
Hope this helps
Original post by alleycat393
Your question is not very clear. What do you mean activated?

the book says:
the nucleotides are activated - they have two extra phosphoryl groups attached. there are four different activated RNA nucleotides: ATP, GTP, CTP and UTP.

so I dont understand why the RNA nucleotides have to be 'activated' before they bind to their exposed complementary bases on the template strand.
like why cant non-activated RNA nucleotides bind to the template strand (if there is such thing)

thanks for response anyway :smile:
Original post by hayleyhayley
They might need to be "primed" with energy from an ATP molecule so that they have enough energy to for a bond with other RNA nucleotides.
When a bond is made, it either takes in energy or releases it. Normally bonds which require an input of energy to form won't formed spontaneously, so the molecules need to be "activated"/"primed"
Hope this helps

thanks for reply,

so are the 2 extra phosphoryl groups needed to join the sugar-phosphate backbone up?
i thought this was catalysed by RNA polymerase?
Nucleotides can exist in the mono, di or tri phosphorylated state. Also, they're constantly recycled within the cell. Phosphate groups are transferred or lost during a reaction. So an enzyme most likely adds on the phosphate groups which are then lost when two nucleotides are linked together by RNA polymerase.
Nucleotides can exist in the mono, di or tri phosphorylated state. Also, they're constantly recycled within the cell. Phosphate groups are transferred or lost during a reaction. So an enzyme most likely adds on the phosphate groups which are then lost when two nucleotides are linked together by RNA polymerase.

thanks,

so are the 2 extra phosphates on the RNA nucleotides: ATP, GTP, CTP and UTP used to bond together the sugar-phosphate backbone of the mRNA?
Yup. mRNA is singke stranded so that's the only way in which the nucleotides are bound together. :smile:
Yup. mRNA is singke stranded so that's the only way in which the nucleotides are bound together. :smile:

surely though, DNA nucleotides are also 'activated' in some way as their sugar-phosphate backbone in also joined together as well as the hydrogen bonds between the bases?
Yes they are.
In the book that I read, it said that the two phosphoryl groups were added to the bases and they were then said to be activated. The RNA bases would hydrogen bond to the template strand during transcription and the phosphoryl groups were lost providing the energy for RNA Polymerase to catalyse the reaction forming the 'backbone' for the mRNA strand (those phosphodiester bonds).
Original post by LarsaSolidor
In the book that I read, it said that the two phosphoryl groups were added to the bases and they were then said to be activated. The RNA bases would hydrogen bond to the template strand during transcription and the phosphoryl groups were lost providing the energy for RNA Polymerase to catalyse the reaction forming the 'backbone' for the mRNA strand (those phosphodiester bonds).

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending