Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I will be doing the AS OCR chemistry A specification next school year and I was wondering: How hard is it? How much is completely new? how much maths is there? What grade can you expect if you got an A* at GCSE? and finally how enjoyable/fun is it?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by limz5507)
    I will be doing the AS OCR chemistry A specification next school year and I was wondering: How hard is it? How much is completely new? how much maths is there? What grade can you expect if you got an A* at GCSE? and finally how enjoyable/fun is it?
    It's not that hard, in fact it's pretty easy.
    It's not new at all, it's been around a long time.
    Very little maths, maybe a few sums.
    You can expect an A.
    It's better than sex. You'll enjoy it so much your chuckle muscles will regularly cramp up ...

ReputationRep:
    I meant how much is new information from GCSE chemistry

ReputationRep:
    A lot, but with an A* there's no reason for you to not get an A. But at AS level make sure you understand everything when you're first taught it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for everyone's responses.

ReputationRep:
    How hard is it: If you are interested in chemistry you will be fine if you put lots of work into it.
    How much is new: some things taught at GCSE are simplified e.g Orbital representation.
    How much maths: The maths varies between mass,moles, volume, concentration calculations and thermodynamics(In AS) with the maths becoming more intensive in A2.
    Grade you can expect with an A* at gcse: At least a C
    How fun is it: Completely varies person to person. Most people complain about chemistry and say its hard but some people(me included)love it

My experience: Just finished A level Chemistry and hope to do a Chemistry oriented course and uni

ReputationRep:
    The theory really isn't that challenging, and it is mostly rules that you need to learn. Say those for naming compounds.

I certainly found that the majority of the theory was fairly obvious, the challenge was the mark schemes. They are very particular about answers, presumably because thats the only way to get marks down due to the simplistic courses.

ReputationRep:
    My friend got AAAAE at AS and the E was in chemistry, but her problem was that she didn't ask for help when she needed it. Take it but make sure your always on track, understand everything and if you don't make sure you get your teacher, classmate or someone from A2 to help you otherwise it just builds up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NaomiMG)
    My friend got AAAAE at AS and the E was in chemistry, but her problem was that she didn't ask for help when she needed it. Take it but make sure your always on track, understand everything and if you don't make sure you get your teacher, classmate or someone from A2 to help you otherwise it just builds up.
    Baring in mind this is 5 subjects and Chem needs a lot if not the most work.
    I agree with you, its only been a term and because I was afraid of asking for help because I told the teacher I wanted to do Chem at Uni (woops) I got behind quite a bit.
    The teachers are happier u asking for help whenever u need it rather than not and not getting it before the exam. Shows a bit more of a wanting to make sure u understand it, and they probs feel that extra bit proud they helped u get a better mark to be honest but yeah speak up coz Chem is awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you got an A* at GCSE you should find Unit 1 fairly simple but you must do a lot of practice examples to understand the basic core principles because Unit 2 brings in many more new topics. Overall AS is fairly easy but it varies because many underestimate it and don't take it seriously, make sure you don't make that mistake because A2 Chemistry is much more in depth and you need to have a good grounding in AS to do A2 esp. since A2 is synoptic. Good luck!

Apologies if this doesn't apply to the OCR board, mine was Edexcel but I'm sure there are lots of overlaps in the content

ReputationRep:
    Thats what ive heard about mine which is WJEC. I think the only difference is the order of the first two topics but tbh it makes more sense doing the calculations and mole shtuff- basics first really.
    What do u mean by the second year is more synoptic? Sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMaydom)
    I certainly found that the majority of the theory was fairly obvious, the challenge was the mark schemes. They are very particular about answers, presumably because thats the only way to get marks down due to the simplistic courses.
    Agree with this.

My teacher even said I know the theory well, better (like further) than I'd even need to but I won't get full marks unless I abide by the mark scheme's key words and such.

(Original post by Nat_LPS)
    Thats what ive heard about mine which is WJEC. I think the only difference is the order of the first two topics but tbh it makes more sense doing the calculations and mole shtuff- basics first really.
    What do u mean by the second year is more synoptic? Sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not sure if this is directed at me, but the synoptic style of A2's at least with Edexcel had a lot of AS material asked in the exam, so you needed to retain all of your knowledge from AS through to A2.

ReputationRep:
    A level chem was piss easy, although I have heard many people say it's the hardest subject at A level :confused:

(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    A level chem was piss easy, although I have heard many people say it's the hardest subject at A level :confused:
    Like with anything, if you stay on top of it and understand the concepts, I agree it is very logical and straightforward but if you don't, many of the questions can seem like double Dutch

ReputationRep:
    Honestly isn't that hard. Pretty much got full marks on my mock test and finished half an hour in during the exam. However, its quite a subjective question you're asking as it really depends on your natural ability and how much work you put in. Some things are new, but other topics from GCSE are built upon. In F321 there is some maths, but nothing too hard. You can expect at least a grade C if you put the work in and the practicals are really enjoyable!

ReputationRep:
    Most of it. You are studying it for a whole year after all!

A-level starts where GCSE leaves off. There is a little overlap, but expect a lot of the stuff to be new, albeit related to the stuff you've already done in a lot of places (but not all!)

Grade spread for A* GCSE students is usually A-D, normally clustering in the B range with a good number getting As. Though having said that i've seen A* GCSE students get Us.

Work as you go along
    Get help when you need it
    Start revising early
    Ensure you understand the concepts, not just memorise answers to questions

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 25, 2013
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.