Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know (but I'm doing it with "Tempest" and "Virginia Woolf") you get a choice of two.

ReputationRep:
    Prospero is somewhat responsible for who Caliban has turned out to be "this thing of darkness i acknowledge mine" - It could be argued that Prospero is saying that through taking away Calibans island, he turned him into that bitter person.
    however, colonialism wasnt necessairily a bad thing - it educated caliban so and he is therefore able to express himself using words prospero/miranda taught him.
    there is a stark contrast between caliban and the irish people - i cant remember off pat where the point came from - but "gabble" was used to describe the irish people around shakespeares time - so "gabble like a thing most brutish" is a direct reference. prospero could be seen as the english, caliban as the irish. wait, ive just found it. its first use was in a book called "description of ireland" by richard stanihurst, who speaks of someone who "gabbleth more than he has comission to do"
    The new national schools could be the "water with berries in't" for the irish, with the english "strok[ing] and mak[ing] much of [them]" - another reference to caliban/ireland.

uhhh am just trying to think about colonialism. youve got the "still vexed bermudas", theres some sort of significance... but i cant find it as my notes are all over the place! oh well *sigh*
    to be honest, with the tempest you can make a lot of links to the colonies of america (but i dont really know much about them) but to be able to link that with translations is quite hard, unless you talk about Maire's emmigration to america and her hoping "theres no hay to be saved in brooklyn".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helzerel)
    spookystarbuck - nice point in there.

Does anyone know if we get given one question tomorrow or if we're given a choice?
    we get a choice of two

ReputationRep:
    Every time i think about this exam i get palpitations. my teacher stopped teaching us at christmas after we finished the othello units we were doing with him. they managed to get us 10 hours of catch up time with a retired teacher and one we borrowed from a private school.

I was wondering if the people who are doing virginia wolfe could see any way that they would bring in colonialisation into their questions, because we get the choice of the same 2 questions. I'd love for there to be colonialisation becuase thats quite an easy thing to write about, but if its not.. well.. something tells me uni might have to wait a year.

ReputationRep:
    Oh bummer - I never even considered it in "VW".
    Umm...gosh, yeh. Any idea's anybody?!

ReputationRep:
    i just read on another post that VW is concerned with the power of language. which applies to Translations very nicely and Tempest, well there's Caliban and then maybe you could say a bit about Ariel and Prospero.. who knows.

Language also ties in with the broken communications things.. which has been mentioned a few times above. this has greatly put my mind at rest.

i only realised we get the same questions a few days ago but the other Eng class at my school are doing Emma and Pride and Prejudice. which is no help at all.

any more ideas?

ReputationRep:
    heh! getting some sleep probably!!!!!!! good luck everyone!

but one more point (just quickly ) translations is said to have a Babel of languages, from greek to latin; from irish-in-english (theatrical conceit) to irish and english. (then theres hughs latinate english, yollands gentle english, captain lanceys military english)

"now the whole earth had one language and few words...then they said, 'let us build ourselves a city and a tower at the top to the heavens and let us make a name for ourselves' ... and the lord god said 'come, let us go down and confuse their languagethat they may bot understand one anothers speech' so god scattered them about the earth... therefore the name was called babel because there teh lord confused the languages of all the earth" Genesis.

language is a key aspect in the play, and therefore to deal with the babel of languages, one has to translate. for most of the irish, the problem comes where owen interprets rather than translates what lancey says.
    we spend our whole time translating, as language is an exchange of ideas.

sorry! ive sort of jumbled some points together... i think it is because my brain has stopped working but yet its still telling me to work?!?!?! stupid thing. anyway, hope you all do well!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, good luck to you all too.
    I think I'm off to bed now.

Night-night. xx

ReputationRep:
    ha perhaps a plan.

night, good luck.

(i can't wait for these to be over!)

ReputationRep:
    I'm so totally screwed with this one...

Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    w00t!
    G'morning everyone!!
    Rise and shine!!!
    We've all got revision to do!!!

Remember - a good comparison between the two plays. They are both set on an island. :rofl:
    Oh and Unseen - yeeeeeh..that's a tough cookie.

Good luck to everyone!
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Unseen, yuck, yuck, yuck. On the plus, I think with the unseen it's better than you know squat all about the text or poem because you can just go on about what immediately springs to mind and you are not hindered by the fact that you know you need to include certain things, like we all do for The Tempest!!! I usually opt for the prose because I'm not a massive fan of poetry but you know where you stand with the poem don't you? Unlike the prose, it's just abit chopped out of something much bigger.

ReputationRep:
    Also, just quickly......................... ...."Let's all pray for something about power and colonialism" weepweepweeppanicpanic

ReputationRep:
    i had a dream that i was miranda.
    oh god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilieTapping)
    i had a dream that i was miranda.
    oh god.
    :rofl: That's HYSTERICAL!!!! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Is everyone's exam at 1pm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachwbstr6)
    Is everyone's exam at 1pm?
    Yup!
    Well..mine is.

ReputationRep:
    arrrrggghh!
    I wish I could do it now, I can't stand this waiting, I'm not getting any useful revision done!
    I'm trying to learn key quotations but they're just not sticking. Have you learnt many?

ReputationRep:
    i've got a few but not really many. there's a useful thread with some nice quotes..

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=246024

ReputationRep:
    Yup 1pm.
    I'm gonna go get dressed.

Good luck to you all!
    I've got my psychology tomorrow aswell, I'm gonna be knackered! lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2006

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.