Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    well. that was interesting. nice questions though.. shame i suddenly forgot how to form coherent sentences.

Mmm, could have been worse.

The poetry was blaggable, I thought. Maybe didn't work enough AO4/5 in, but both were included to an extent. The second section was fine. I did the language and power question, and there were too many points to make if anything. I know I came out with a pretty extensive argument; I just have to hope my linking was up to scratch.

Oh well, only need a C or so for an A. Just have to wait and see, really.

ReputationRep:
    I did Questions 1 and 6b....anyone else do those?

Roll on August and results day huh. :p:

ReputationRep:
    did 2 and 6B thought it went ok

ReputationRep:
    I didn't enjoy the Tempest/VW at all. I did not get finished - nor anywhere near it and I don't think I answered the question! (I did the one on language but I didn't like either of them to be honest).

The unseen poetry I answered - I didn't even look at the prose but what sort of bloody question was that? "Pick out what you think is interesting and discuss". Well, okay then! I don't think I answered that question properly either to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by latin.snake)
    yup did 6b...did anyone manage to bring in contextual information for that question? - I couldn't do that, but besides that it was fine.
    What do you mean about contextual? As in social influences at the time etc?

ReputationRep:
    the poetry question was vague.
    The unseen poetry I answered - I didn't even look at the prose but what sort of bloody question was that? "Pick out what you think is interesting and discuss". Well, okay then! I don't think I answered that question properly either to be honest!
    i think if i had about 6 hours i could have written a coherant essay but with a question like that.. there's nothing you can write in an hour that will be good.

roll on aug 17th.

ReputationRep:
    i did the poetry unseen. is it compulsory that you have to mention metre to get an 'A' grade? i totally forgot about it. i also wrote throughout that the speaker in the poem was a man..and all my friends said it was a woman's voice.. oh well.

ReputationRep:
    i also did question 6b, i thought it went well.

ReputationRep:
    I did a) on forgiveness. I was going to do b) on language, but after trying to plan it, I decided I didn't like it :p: And I did unseen poetry. I think both were OK, but we'll have to see. Edexcel, if you can hear me, please give me an A in English! Pretty please with a cherry on top!!

ReputationRep:
    WOW.. That was a toughy!

I did Unseen Poetry.. I think that went well... i could basically just blag my way through it! Did anyone else get the significance of the title?

HOWEVER... The Tempest/Trans question was a BEEHATCH, i'd never thought of/or been taught about how Language could be used to be an influence for good.. so i just blagged again!

Only time will tell! Roll on the worst day of my life (aug 18th)(btw.. we started our exam 40 mins before you guys *puzzled*...)

Thanks for everyones help...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StaceYY)
    Did anyone else get the significance of the title?
    I just stated the obvious and said that it was probably referring to the guy's age and gave us an idea of what he was like before we read the poem :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yes comfortable prison is an oxymoron, i wrote it down in my plan but totally forgot to mention it while i was writing my bleeding essay...grrr..

please could anyone tell me if they mentioned metre ie. the use of iambic pentameter in the poem!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't write about metre - was it essential?
    i don't know..my friends said that they did.

i'm all crapping myself right now because i said that the speaker was a man..where as everyone else seems to have said that the speaker in the poem was a woman..
    does it actually matter though? because surely its all down to interpretation? arrghh i always remember the bad stuff & the stuff i missed out..

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mention metre... mainly because i didn't spot it in fact, i said that there was no apparent rhyme scheme and the poem seemed like a diary entry. (hehe) Like you said fairygirl, it's all down to interpretation!

Hope everyone does well!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mention metre... mainly because i didn't spot it in fact, i said that there was no apparent rhyme scheme and the poem seemed like a diary entry. (hehe) Like you said fairygirl, it's all down to interpretation!

Hope everyone does well!
    oh okay phew..
    i did notice that the first line was written in iambic pentametre and foolishly, i mentioned it in my plan but not in my essay. i'm great at english essays..:rolleyes:

(Original post by fairygirl21)
    i don't know..my friends said that they did.

i'm all crapping myself right now because i said that the speaker was a man..where as everyone else seems to have said that the speaker in the poem was a woman..
    does it actually matter though? because surely its all down to interpretation? arrghh i always remember the bad stuff & the stuff i missed out..
    The poet was a female, and it was written in the first poem. I suppose the implication is that it was Feinstein's account, as we haven't much to suggest otherwise.

I wouldn't worry about it, in all honestly. They're much more likely to look the mechanics and your intepretation (along with the affects of all the poetic devices (imagery, vocab, yada yada) than penalise you by picking out what terms you have or haven't used.

Relax, put the exam behind you, and get working for the next one!

ReputationRep:
    A bit far-fetched but I said the title 'ninety two' was short hand for 1992 - the year i'm assuming her uncle died. Like I said far-fetched!

What did you lot say about the relationship between the persona (I said that the persona was Elaine Feinstein-the author) and the uncle?

Also is 'comfortable prison' an oxymoron?
    I mentioned that 'Ninety Two' could be the year it was written or the number of the poem like shakespearean (sp) sonnets, but most likely the age of the uncle.

I said that their relationship seemed strained... pulled out some quotes to back it up, can't remember them now though...

ReputationRep:

I said that their relationship seemed strained... pulled out some quotes to back it up, can't remember them now though...
    ooh me too. i said how the uncle seemed quite hostile towards the man (woman).
    my friends also laughed when i told them that i wrote the last line (something about the uncle taking a long time to answer the question) was a metaphor for death or the death of a relationship. well i don't care anymore. its over. boom.

ReputationRep:
    NO MORE ENGLISH LIT.... unless of course i am forced to resit yr 13 due to these awful exams hehe - what's done is done and what will be, will be! (how deep)

p.s i used the the last line to suggest impending death... and kinda just side effects of being old/ monotony of life when being old lol... it fit right in the exam, i think...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 23, 2006

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.