Facebook active sessions - am I being hacked?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
rachel.h
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
If anyone doesn't know you can do this on Facebook - go to 'Account Settings', then 'Security' and then click on 'Active Sessions' and you can see where you have logged in from and on what.

I discovered this a few weeks ago and didn't take much notice of it, I just clicked 'end all sessions' and then forgot all about it. But I've just looked at it again and it's saying I'm logged in to Facebook in London, yet I'm very far up North! I've googled it and it says the location stuff won't be perfect, but I'm 300 miles away from there. I was in Nottingham recently and it recognizes that which is much nearer to London than here. It also recognizes my hometown, so why would it say London?

Anyone know anything about this?
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Might be apps you've got installed that are logged in and have access to your Facebook? Just change your password if you're worried.

I'm gonna look at my active sessions now, didn't know you could do that!
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rachel.h)
If anyone doesn't know you can do this on Facebook - go to 'Account Settings', then 'Security' and then click on 'Active Sessions' and you can see where you have logged in from and on what.

I discovered this a few weeks ago and didn't take much notice of it, I just clicked 'end all sessions' and then forgot all about it. But I've just looked at it again and it's saying I'm logged in to Facebook in London, yet I'm very far up North! I've googled it and it says the location stuff won't be perfect, but I'm 300 miles away from there. I was in Nottingham recently and it recognizes that which is much nearer to London than here. It also recognizes my hometown, so why would it say London?

Anyone know anything about this?
IP address which is borrowed from a server from the broadband company which is elsewhere in the UK.
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Apparently I've been logging in from Wolverhampton! Which is definitely not where I live! Haha.
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You could kill off all sessions apart from your current one them individually login to any mobile devices if you're really concerned.

That said, it's probably nothing to worry about. I posted a screenshot of my desktop in a thread here yesterday and promptly received a PM from a member who said I was stupid to post a screenshot which showed my IP. He kindly sent me a screenshot of where geographically he tracted my IP to and Streetviewed the house to show how silly I was to give my IP out when someone could find my address. Except that it points to an address in Chesterfield, north of England, and I live in Wales.

Your computer can appear to be in all sorts of places just because your ISP gives you an IP address from a huge pool and these pools can be based elsewhere. This is especially true with mobile devices, where I almost always show up as being in London.
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DarkWhite)
Your computer can appear to be in all sorts of places just because your ISP gives you an IP address from a huge pool and these pools can be based elsewhere. This is especially true with mobile devices, where I almost always show up as being in London.
I always get really wierd/random locations when i've logged in with my phone. Right now it's showing Caerleon, Port Talbot and Nottingham. I don't live near any of those places.
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
I always get really wierd/random locations when i've logged in with my phone. Right now it's showing Caerleon, Port Talbot and Nottingham. I don't live near any of those places.
Yeah, I get Carlisle a lot on my mobile. Never been there in my life.
jim turner
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
good question I have the same problem ime getting logged in from all over the country but not once in my home town cant get answers for this why
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (180)
28.66%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.56%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.24%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.28%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
7.96%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.06%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
6.05%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.18%

Watched Threads