The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Medicine AS Results Advice & Discussion Thread

Use this thread for any discussion and questions related to AS results you have received.

Are
Check out our Wiki page on entry requirements for each UK medical school, as well as the page on Applying to Your Strengths . This will give you an idea of which schools place a greater level of importance on AS grades.

Not
Bad AS grades will not necessarily kill your medical application. It is still unclear how many universities use AS grades and as long as your school can predict you A*AA/AAA (and you can ACHIEVE A*AA/AAA) then your application stands a chance. You can resit AS modules in your A2 year in order to pull your grades up, though bear in mind that now there are no January resits this will add to your burden of exams in June.

Carrying
You're expected to carry on a minimum of 3 subjects to A2. To maximise the number of schools that you meet the entry requirements for, ensure that these three include Chemistry and Biology.
If you wish to carry on all 4, make sure that this will not be detrimental to your overall grades - AAA is always better than AABB, and if you enter 4 subjects on your UCAS form the medical school can make you an offer based on all four grades. If you subsequently drop a subject after your UCAS form is submitted, you need to inform UCAS and the medical schools, and any offer made can be rescinded since you would be changing the information that they made your offer based on. The only schools were you will benefit from taking 4 A levels are Oxbridge (where many candidates offer 4 subjects as standard) or Barts & The London (where the tariff points ranking system favours more subjects).

CashingState schools have to cash in AS results or risk big fines. This means you will have to declare your AS results on your UCAS application, and so you won't be able to hide poor AS results behind good A2 predictions. Medical schools take your AS grades into consideration or use them as an indicator of how accurate your A2 predictions are. Generally, a prediction above AS grade + 1 would be considered excessive.

Private schools have the choice of cashing in or not; however, note that most private schools do cash in AS grades. Schools also put on their references whether or not it is their policy to cash in AS grades, and if you decide not to declare your AS grades but it is your school policy to declare them then that is not going to reflect well on your application.

Any questions? Post them below :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi. I got my AS results yesterday and I got an AAB. A's in Biology and Geography and just missed an A in chemistry which I hope to resit. I get my math result tomorrow but I feel it might be a low B. so do you think if I apply to the medicine course with AABB I can manage to get an offer? I am an international student btw.
Reply 2
Original post by MedicalMaureen
Hi. I got my AS results yesterday and I got an AAB. A's in Biology and Geography and just missed an A in chemistry which I hope to resit. I get my math result tomorrow but I feel it might be a low B. so do you think if I apply to the medicine course with AABB I can manage to get an offer? I am an international student btw.

Yeas of course you can, I applied with AABB this year and got three interviews and two offers. However, you must ensure you are predicted at least three As, then consider universities that are a bit lenient on AS grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lala12
Yeas of course you can, I applied with AABB this year and got three interviews and two offers. However, you must ensure you are predicted at least three As, then consider universities that are a bit lenient on AS grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply. So AABB is not bad but also not good yes? Do you happen to know which universities are a bit lenient on AS grades? I was thinking about applying to university of plymouth and Bart's for Medicine and maybe UCL, Kings College London and University of Manchester for Biomedical Science or Biochemistry.
Reply 4
Original post by MedicalMaureen
Thanks for the reply. So AABB is not bad but also not good yes? Do you happen to know which universities are a bit lenient on AS grades? I was thinking about applying to university of plymouth and Bart's for Medicine and maybe UCL, Kings College London and University of Manchester for Biomedical Science or Biochemistry.

I applied to Barts, Imperial, Cardiff and Nottingham. I got interviews from the first three and offers from Barts and Imperial. So there is a selection that don't look at AS. There's also Leicester, but you need to have a decent UKCAT (>650) to be considered as tehy have a points system, I had 645 so didn't apply. This was probably also the reason for my rejection from Nottingham.

KCL is a good choice but I wouldn't go for UCL because they look at the application more holistically so they look at AS grades. However, it might not matter if you ace the BMAT but personally I wouldn't take the risk; apply to Imperial instead. Plymouth is good as long as you meet the UKCAT requirement. To be honest, there are many universities that don't consider AS grades. To find out which ones, just email the admissions tutors with the question and you'll get an answer. That's what I did. Hope this helps
Reply 5
So...I just got my results..

GCSE
7A*s in triple science, maths, french, arabic and english language
2A's in English language and R.E
2B's in D.T and I.C.T.

AS level

Physics- A
Chemistry-A
Biology-A
Arabic-A
Maths-B

I don't know how I got a B in maths but its pretty damn upsetting :frown: Are these grades good for any god damn medicine uni? I feel incredibly disheartened after this...I've honestly lost all hope in ever becoming a doctor.

P.S If you reply to this be honest and blunt. I don't want fake hope.

Edit: 22 Negs? LOL. Ok guys. Thanks a ton.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by yoyox120

GCSE
2B's in D.T and I.C.T.

AS level

Physics- A
Chemistry-A
Biology-A
Arabic-A
Maths-B

I don't know how I got a B in maths but its pretty damn upsetting :frown: Are these grades good for any god damn medicine uni? I feel incredibly disheartened after this...I've honestly lost all hope in ever becoming a doctor.

Are you being serious?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by StephenNaulls
Are you being serious?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I honestly almost shed a ****ing tear....I'm pretty god damn depressed man. I got two A's in 2/3 of my maths modules then dirty ass C in my D1 module :frown: And looking at competition these days it seems like i'm royally screwed because I missed on an A by ONE mark :frown:
Reply 8
achieved A's in Biology Chem and Math at AS but missed an A in physics by 8 UMS. Planning to do all 3 sciences for A2 and drop math next year. Is there still a chance my teacher will predict me an A for Physics at A2? :frown:
Original post by nidhi_bh
achieved A's in Biology Chem and Math at AS but missed an A in physics by 8 UMS. Planning to do all 3 sciences for A2 and drop math next year. Is there still a chance my teacher will predict me an A for Physics at A2? :frown:

Afraid that depends on your school, but from what I've seen, most schools tend to predict their students one grade up from what they achieved at AS. Best person to talk to about this is your teachers, but there's certainly still a chance they'll predict you that A. :smile:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Afraid that depends on your school, but from what I've seen, most schools tend to predict their students one grade up from what they achieved at AS. Best person to talk to about this is your teachers, but there's certainly still a chance they'll predict you that A. :smile:

I had a feeling you would be lurking around here. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FizzicsGuy
I had a feeling you would be lurking around here. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'm currently at TSR towers with a bunch of the other mods, so... :tongue:

GCSE
2B's in D.T and I.C.T.

AS level

Physics- A
Chemistry-A
Biology-A
Arabic-A
Maths-B

Your grades are perfectly fine, bud! They put you in a great position to apply - you shouldn't be upset with that at all. They're fantastic results and more than good enough for medical schools. :smile:
Reply 13
Your grades are perfectly fine, bud! They put you in a great position to apply - you shouldn't be upset with that at all. They're fantastic results and more than good enough for medical schools. :smile:

But I heard most schools hate to see B's on people's applications? Any uhmm..Like advice on universities to apply to? Kinda disheartening to see the only maths module I hated drag me from an A to a B though :/
But I heard most schools hate to see B's on people's applications?

That's not true at all. There are plenty of unis for whom this B won't count against you - some don't heavily weight AS results, and your A2 predictions are even more important! We have loads of people in this forum who've gotten into medicine with AS results like BBCC and stuff like that! Your AS results only make a tiny part of your application.

Any uhmm..Like advice on universities to apply to? Kinda disheartening to see the only maths module I hated drag me from an A to a B though :/

Your academics are really strong, but keep in mind there's a whole other non-academic side to your application! You're best to do your research and apply with 2 priorities: where you will enjoy studying first of all, and where your application will be strong second of all. With that said, I can say you might want to avoid Cambridge, because they like to see high UMS (~95%). Otherwise, just do your own research, and see where you'd enjoy studying. :smile:
AAAA IN BIO CHEM MATHS AND PSYCHOLOGY

Considering I was expecting a B in biology since I got 73/100 in biol1 and it turned out to be my best UMS 294/300

So utterly pleased and relieved

I got 7A*s (bio chem phys maths eng Lang eng lit and re) 2As (history French)

Do I have a good shot at Birmingham?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Becca-Sarah

State schools have to cash in AS results or risk big fines. This means you will have to declare your AS results on your UCAS application, and so you won't be able to hide poor AS results behind good A2 predictions. Medical schools take your AS grades into consideration or use them as an indicator of how accurate your A2 predictions are. Generally, a prediction above AS grade + 1 would be considered excessive.

don't know if i stand a chance though :frown:
Reply 17
I just got my AS results:

Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Maths: A
Fine Art: B

Even though the B's in art, is it going to be detrimental to me when I'm applying for medicine? :/
(I got 8A*s at IG)

Hope you guys did well!!
Reply 18

Your academics are really strong, but keep in mind there's a whole other non-academic side to your application! You're best to do your research and apply with 2 priorities: where you will enjoy studying first of all, and where your application will be strong second of all. With that said, I can say you might want to avoid Cambridge, because they like to see high UMS (~95%). Otherwise, just do your own research, and see where you'd enjoy studying. :smile:

Well...I'll be quite blunt here, I just wanna get into flipping medicine LOL. I dont give two flying (you know what) about which uni I go to you know? I just wanna get into a medical school.
Original post by nidhi_bh
don't know if i stand a chance though :frown:

You do. Trust me! Your results are great. :smile:
All that's left is for you to make sure the rest of your application is awesome. :wink:

Latest