The Student Room Group

Can't get time off to go to my graduation ceremony

So I'm starting a job pretty soon, and the training is 5 weeks long. Thing is pretty much right after starting, 2 days, I have my graduation ceremony coming up. It's at an awkward time in the day (11 am) so I don't think going there and then back to work could work because I'm training in a different city to where the ceremony is. I've called up and explained that I'd like the day off, but they're not sympathetic and have refused, because apparently missing any of this training would leave me at a terrible disadvantage.

Any advice, or am I just dead in the water? I could defer it till next year's cerermony I guess, but **** graduating with a bunch of people I don't know, a year later than everyone else.
Reply 1
You'll still get a degree through the post. If you want to do the ceremony, then you might have to do it next year. It's not that bad graduating with hardly anyone you know: I graduated with my college which was almost entirely people I didn't know, the people I lived with in first year and a few acquaintances. I'd have preferred to be with people I know, but it didn't detract too much from what was a very nice day.
Reply 2
Welcome to the world of work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
(I am new to this sorry in advance if im posting this in the wrong place) I am in the same situation as you, I also can't attend my graduation ceremony this year:frown:. Does anyone know if your name and degree is still published in the newspaper even if you do not attend your graduation? Thank You!
Wondering what they could possibly teach you on day 3/25 that would put you at such a 'terrible disadvantage'. Personally, I think that three months, six months, two years down the line you'll be regretting missing your graduation - a symbol of your formative years - more than a training day for some job.

The timing is unfortunate, and you should handle the matter diplomatically.
Personally I'd keep quiet and don't mention it again. Then on the day, pull a sickie. I think you'll regret it if you don't go
Reply 6
I was in a similar situation (though not for a graduation, I just needed the day off for something). I tried to book holiday but too many people had it off so they wouldn't let me.
I just didn't mention it again and on the morning I phoned in sick and it was fine.
I suggest you do the same :smile: make sure the day before, if you're saying goodbye, casually say 'see you tomorrow' though obviously don't make a huge deal out of it haha.
They can't fire you for calling in sick, once. Yeah they can say they want a doctor's note on your return, but just say you have food poisoning or something. Because you can't possibly get a doctor's note for that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
. . .And if you do decide to pull a sickie, and you have a few new work colleagues on your facebook, I suggest you don't post pictures ''Graduation'' . .otherwise = cover blown! lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending