The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Postgrad SOAS entry with 2:2

Is it possible?
Does anyone know anyone who has gotten an offer from SOAS without a 2:1?
Reply 1
It is possible. I applied with a 2;2 (and got an offer). but they mentioned about having relevant degree and working experience. So just give it a shot!

Cheers
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
That's great! I actually should be within the 2:1 range but had a day of major panic earlier this week, haha :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
So sad what happened to SOAS's standards in recent years. They just let anyone these days. It used to be the 5th best Uni in the UK during the 90s.
Reply 4
Original post by 2ndClass
So sad what happened to SOAS's standards in recent years. They just let anyone these days. It used to be the 5th best Uni in the UK during the 90s.

My sentiments exactly. It's what I've been saying for a long time.
Reply 5
Original post by 2ndClass

Actually they were far more lenient back then. Not too long ago if you wanted to get in all you had to do was show up to a lecturers office, have a brief chat and if they liked you they would give you an offer right there. These days their entry standards are stricter than ever, in fact arguably too strict. No undergrad course has entry requirements lower than ABB and the majority of courses are either AAB or AAA, with the Law department deciding they want students to get A*AA.
Reply 6
Original post by iberz
Actually they were far more lenient back then. Not too long ago if you wanted to get in all you had to do was show up to a lecturers office, have a brief chat and if they liked you they would give you an offer right there. These days their entry standards are stricter than ever, in fact arguably too strict. No undergrad course has entry requirements lower than ABB and the majority of courses are either AAB or AAA, with the Law department deciding they want students to get A*AA.

What you wrote above isn't correct. All universities have to adjust entry requirements to take into account grade inflation, and they have all done so. In the (very) old days when even Oxbridge undergrad entry depended on 2 grade E A-levels and a chat, and postgrad entry depended on just a chat with a professor, there were FAR fewer people going into higher education and even fewer taking a postgrad degree. Plus A-levels were harder and fewer 2:1 degrees were being awarded. It used to be common for people to just 'pass' an undergraduate degree. The universities received all their funding from the state regardless of student numbers. They hadn't created hundreds of postgrad courses to raise money; there were very few postgrad degrees available.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending