Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok people i am properly confused!! Basically i was doing some biology papers, and i assumed you need 80% to get an A in each paper, except in most biology papers you need 50/75 which works out to be which is like 65% but then its marked up in ums to 80%, how the hell does that happen, isn't it just giving u fake marks.

Sorry if i confused any1!:confused:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    its like every other subject with UMS. they order you with everyone else on your raw mark (e.g. 50/75) then give you a UMS mark on where you are on that list e.g. top will get full marks. that's how people get full UMS when they've misses out qs! equally you can end up with less UMS marks than you got raw marks if your score is low enough!

ReputationRep:
    Yup, tis similar with AQA B. I found an ecology paper in which you needed 58% for an A, about 54% for a B, 50% for a C, 46% for a D and 42% for an E (or similar to this.)
    It does all seem a bit strange, and is probably proof that exams really are being dumbed down.
    Still, free marks. You won't hear me complaining!

ReputationRep:
    Yeahh wel anyway i went to see my teacher about it today...and she said the highest mark that you have ever needed in this paper is 53/75 to get an A...and she also went on to say that if you get 60/75 you get full marks on ums system **in shock!!**

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aSian_cUtY)
    Yeahh wel anyway i went to see my teacher about it today...and she said the highest mark that you have ever needed in this paper is 53/75 to get an A...and she also went on to say that if you get 60/75 you get full marks on ums system **in shock!!**
    which paper are you talking about, the synoptic? Cause that actually is really hard...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    the synoptic has a really steep ums boundry. e.g. 50/60 will give you a good ums mark, but the difference in ums marks between 20/60 and 18/60 is gigantic! you literaturely get 5 ums marks for a 15/60 score....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    which paper are you talking about, the synoptic? Cause that actually is really hard...
    module 5 and module 6 on tuesday..i got em both

Module 8 is any1s guess tbh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alispam)
    the synoptic has a really steep ums boundry. e.g. 50/60 will give you a good ums mark, but the difference in ums marks between 20/60 and 18/60 is gigantic! you literaturely get 5 ums marks for a 15/60 score....
    yeaaa its propa weird in AS bio cswk i got 59/60 and that turned into 81/90 in UMS...1 mark turned into 9 marks lost:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biologymad.co.uk)
    AS coursework is marked out of 60. This is converted into a UMS (=final grade) mark out of 90. The top 4 marks out of 60 are worth as follows:
    60 = 90; 59 = 86; 58 = 81; 57 = 77; 56 = 72.
    Thereafter, each RAW mark is worth either 1 or 2 UMS marks ONLY
    A2 cw is marked similarly harshly at the top end of the marks.

I'm doing mod 5+6 on tues too, but i've done mod 5 before and have a high B, I think i'll prob do worse than that :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    A2 cw is marked similarly harshly at the top end of the marks.

I'm doing mod 5+6 on tues too, but i've done mod 5 before and have a high B, I think i'll prob do worse than that :s:
    yea u see...i got a D in january for mod 5 so been revisin ma ass off...because have to get an A in bio!!! module 6, im still iffy on and module 8 can go do 1

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 15, 2006

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.