The Student Room Group

M2 problem involving motion

IMG_1907[1].jpg
stuck on the first part of question 2
i have narrowed it down to

u2>ag2cos2θ(tanα+tanθ)u^2 > \frac{ag}{2cos^2\theta(tan\alpha +tan\theta)}

i tried subbing values in my equation and the same values in the textbook answer, and they gave the same answer,does anyone know how i convert my equation into the equation on question 2? or have i gone wrong?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by physics4ever

u2>ag2cos2θ(tanα+tanθ)u^2 > \frac{ag}{2cos^2\theta(tan\alpha +tan\theta)}

i tried subbing values in my equation and the same values in the textbook answer, and they gave the same answer,does anyone know how i convert my equation into the equation on question 2? or have i gone wrong?

Your equation is correct so far.

I'd start by multiplying the top and bottom by cosα\cos\alpha to get the numerator you want.

Then consider what you're aiming for and what the expansion of sin(2θ+α)\sin(2\theta+\alpha) looks like and try and aim for it.
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker

I'd start by multiplying the top and bottom by cosα\cos\alpha to get the numerator you want.

Then consider what you're aiming for and what the expansion of sin(2θ+α)\sin(2\theta+\alpha) looks like and try and aim for it.

okay thanks for the help! :smile:
Reply 3

just tried it and i couldnt do it

EDIT: actually i spotted that i havent got it, i ended up with u2>agcos(α)2cos(θ)sin(θ+α) u^2>\frac{agcos(\alpha)}{2cos( \theta )sin(\theta+\alpha)}
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
actually i spotted that i havent got it, i ended up with u2>agcos(α)2cos(θ)sin(θ+α) u^2>\frac{agcos(\alpha)}{2cos( \theta )sin(\theta+\alpha)}
(edited 10 years ago)
actually i spotted that i havent got it, i ended up with u2>agcos(α)2cos(θ)sin(θ+α) u^2>\frac{agcos(\alpha)}{2cos( \theta )sin(\theta+\alpha)}

Yes, one arrangement of the terms leads you to that.

You want to focus on the expansion of sin(2theta + alpha), and getting things into that form.

Post some working if you wish.
Reply 6
Yes, one arrangement of the terms leads you to that.

You want to focus on the expansion of sin(2theta + alpha), and getting things into that form.

Post some working if you wish.

just got the answer, thats a lot of rearanging for a question 2
Reply 7

I see you have it now but I thought I'd mention that the denominator you have here can be changed to the required form by using the product and sum formulae.
Reply 8
Original post by BabyMaths
I see you have it now but I thought I'd mention that the denominator you have here can be changed to the required form by using the product and sum formulae.

i was actually trying to use the addition formulae,but it never occured to me that they can be rearanged like that, thanks for showing me that! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest