Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi ppl, I know it depends on the individual, but i just wanted to know which out of mechanics 2 and stats 2 is the easier option?? Also, is any one more useful than the other for computer science or accounting/finance at university?

Basically, at my school for our 3rd further maths module, we were given a choice out of M2 and S2 and i was the only one who wanted to do S2 out of a class of 5 students. We did M1 as our first unit and because i started the course late, i had to catch up with all the work missed in M1...and i did find it pretty difficult and as for the exam... . u can c why i definately chose S2 (i did S1 for normal maths)

Now ive been given the option to do S2 by myself, probably 1 lesson a week or do M2 with the rest of class. What do u think i should do?

ReputationRep:
    I revised S2 in 4 days(properly) and i think ive done well ( got an A), its a reallllyyy small module and if ur going for maximum marks go for S2, i duno abt M2 at all

ReputationRep:
    Ive done S2 and M2

M2 is just a continuation of M1, if you didnt find M1 easy or your not keen on physics then I suggest you dont do it.

S2 only has four topics, your more likely to lose marks because of pressing buttons on a calulator wrong that because its difficult. I think one lesson a week would be fine especially if it is just you because you can solve any problems straight away.

As far as what will help you most, I think statistics is problably the more helpful for finance/accounting as the degree will probably have an element of statistical modelling.

I hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    hey, i dont really know anything about stats, but if uv already taken M1 and found it ok, M2 should be no trouble - it's really no harder once you've got the basic principles from M1 in place. I reckon M2 is definitely my easiest A level module!!

ReputationRep:
    i was doing S2 with half a lesson a week - 30 mins... just sat the exam... will see wat i get.... but i would choose S2 over any other applied maths module!

ReputationRep:
    S2!! i do both.. i learnt S2 after school with my teacher once a week with a small group of us + i think it's so much easier than M2! actually im retaking M2 this summer (did it in january) because i didn't do as well as i wanted to. i'd say stats!

ReputationRep:
    I have to do both for my further maths a level, find s2 a lot easier (got an A last summer). I'm not that keen on mechanics, suppose it depends on your preference - i'm not looking forward to m2 on monday!

ReputationRep:
    If you do OCR(MEI) I suggest you do S2..it's a piece of piss...

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much for all your advice..I will probably stick with S2, some of my senior friends who have done it before found it easy too. I just have to make sure that i get at least 30 mins a week for it!

ReputationRep:
    S2 is generally considered to be easiest i think.

Ive only done M2 so i cant say, but i found it easy. Im not great at maths but its all quite logical and its just like pure - learning methods then putting different numbers in. If you do physics go for mechanics, if not do stats

ReputationRep:
    M2 is a continuation of M1, but the exams are a real step up in difficulty. Take this year for example, there was a HUGE difference in the difficulty between M1 and M2.

Personally though, i would do the one i like most regardless of how difficult other people find it. You can always work at it if you enjoy it. I found stats 1 near impossible to self motivate, so i wouldnt bother with stats 2 at this point. Do what suits you.

ReputationRep:
    Did M1 at AS, doing M2 at A2. I think M2 is a bit of a b*tch, the stuff is just extended from AS, but I don't understand why I find it hard. Anyway, I only need to get a C for M2 for an A, phew.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its like mustard man said, not a great deal of new material but i guess the workings out require a bit more problem solving and the situations are slightly more complicated. Restitution is tough and all it is, is simultaneous equations!

ReputationRep:
    I got a higher mark in M2 than i did in M1 when i sat them both last year :rolleyes:! They were both 90 somethings though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    S2 is generally considered to be easiest i think.

If you do physics go for mechanics, if not do stats
    Nope...i dont do physics..only chemistry...which isnt going to make any difference in my choice is it! I enjoyed S1 too and after having a look at the chapters, there looks like theres some stuff from GCSE stats like spearmans rank...and the normal distribution etc! But never heard of poisons?

ReputationRep:
    Go for S2 all the chapters are virtually related to each other so its really simple, i revised it in 1 day and i think ive done really well in the exam probaby 90+. I'm also sittin M2 on monday but i havnt even looked at the book yet. i dont get tutored or nefin n im soooo lazy lol

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.