Anyone from the South of England, what do you consider to be the North?

Watch
Dr DaMan
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Pretty self explanatory, all in the title.
Mockery
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Derbyshire is pretty far south. I can feel the polite and considerate nature in me, as well as my ability to keep my wallet tightly shut, being drained from me the closer I get to the border.

Edit: Yes I'm unable to follow simple instructions, I'm not a Southerner.
Jack59
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Well, I was born in London and moved up to Derbyshire. Its interesting to see how many southerners label Derbyshire as ''the north'' - We/they do have some traditions that are typical up north, such as what seems like thousands of Greggs and saying ''Tea'' for your evening meal. But I wouldn't class anyone from Derby as a northerner.

Personally, I'd say Sheffield upwards.
gagaslilmonsteruk
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
For the northwest anywhere from Stoke-on-Trent/The English part of Deeside onwards
For the north anywhere north of Sheffield
For the north-east, anywhere north of Hull
For the East, anywhere from Cambridge to Norfolk/Suffolk/Essex
For the West anywhere from Bristol to Herefordshire
For the East Midlands, basically Derbyshire, Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire (places above Cambridge but south of the Humber)
For the West Midlands, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire, Birmingham, Wolverhampton
For the South West; Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Wiltshire, West of Dorset
For the South: East of Dorset, Hampshire, Berkshire and Oxford
For the South East: Anywhere south of London and East of Hampshire; Surrey, Sussex and Kent mainly
thoyub
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Anywhere where the people start to look dirty and unshaven and smell of goodness knows what.
username878045
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
If it's simply North/South, then the Severn Wash Line. If you include the Midlands as a separate part, then Yorkshire and anything North of it (including Lancs).
Zshoom
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by thoyub)
Anywhere where the people start to look dirty and unshaven and smell of goodness knows what.
Need to rate other members before negging you again.
Tom_green_day
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Anywhere north of Birmingham really. I know it's like in the middle, but it's north of me so it's north. Anywhere south of it is the south.
Teaddict
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Draw a like through Norwich and Birmingham. Anything above that line (aside from the small part of the East of England which is above Norwich) is the North.

CelticSymphony67
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
For the northwest anywhere from Stoke-on-Trent/The English part of Deeside onwards
For the north anywhere north of Sheffield
For the north-east, anywhere north of Hull
For the East, anywhere from Cambridge to Norfolk/Suffolk/Essex
For the West anywhere from Bristol to Herefordshire
For the East Midlands, basically Derbyshire, Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire (places above Cambridge but south of the Humber)
For the West Midlands, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire, Birmingham, Wolverhampton
For the South West; Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Wiltshire, West of Dorset
For the South: East of Dorset, Hampshire, Berkshire and Oxford
For the South East: Anywhere south of London and East of Hampshire; Surrey, Sussex and Kent mainly
This is spot on.
CelticSymphony67
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by thoyub)
What a idiotic post.
geetar
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Manchester and up.
Ripper-Roo
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Watford Gap
LeBuche
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Anywhere south of Hull becomes the midlands until about Brum which then becomes the south
suzylemonade
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Birmingham has always been North in my opinion. So from there and upwards xD
Phantom Lord
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
North of the West Midlands
BWCW
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Anywhere north of Watford.

I've thought of it as anywhere north of The Wash in Norfolk/Lincs.
(It's not 'Northern' in my mind (not like Yorkshire) but Birmingham doesn't really meet that line, so lump that in there too!)
Theflyingbarney
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I normally jokingly say that anything north of Birmingham is the North, and then past Manchester is the Deep North (and then of course there's Scotland which to someone who's lived in the South all their life is basically the Land Beyond the Wall). In practice though, Nottingham/Derby probably mark the start of the 'north proper'.
TaylorKing
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'm from the southeasternest part of England and would consider Derby/Birmingham area northern. I met some people from Derby on a recent holiday and they disagreed when I said they were northern though
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Silly Londoners seem to think anything North of them is Northern, and I guess everyone thinks their town is the centre of the country, and anything above them is Northern, and anything else is Southern ... Of course, relatively speaking places are N or S from where you live, but that doesn't make them "The North" or "The South".

I live in the Midlands, and although Birmingham is a long way from me, I still consider anything a bit more upwards of that to be "Northern".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.84%
Okay (109)
28.99%
A bit lacking (140)
37.23%
Not good at all (90)
23.94%

Watched Threads