What A Level/BTECs should an entrepreneur take? Watch

billionaire17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm starting my first year of college on September but I haven't even chosen subjects yet, let alone a college, I am deciding that today. All I care about is the education and knowledge I receive to ensure that my future business' succeeds, not the credentials i get at the end, any advise? I want to and I would start a business now (probably some sort of internet service) but I completely lack knowledge in anything business related. I will do my best to start the business during college however.

A Levels i'm considering:

- Maths
- Economics
- Business Studies
- Computing
- ICT

BTECs i'm considering:

- Enterprise and Entrepreneurship Level 3 Diploma (this looks really cool)
- Business Level 3 Extended Diploma

Examples of possible options:

1. BTEC Entrepreneurship, A Level Maths, A Level Economics
2. BTEC Entrepreneurship, A Level Business Studies, A Levels Economics
3. BTEC Business, A Level Maths, A Level Economics
4. A Level Business Studies, A Level Economics, A Level Maths, A Level ICT/Computing

As you can see, there is so many possible combinations of subjects I could take, I'm confused as ****

So here's the question, what subjects should I take together to provide the best learning experience for an entrepreneur? (examples above)
username369234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do what you enjoy and are good at
ProStacker
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You might not have the traits required and not have the ideas - so do what you are good at and what you enjoy. Worry about the other stuff later.
billionaire17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by commandant)
Do what you enjoy and are good at
(Original post by ProStacker)
You might not have the traits required and not have the ideas - so do what you are good at and what you enjoy. Worry about the other stuff later.
All the stuff I enjoy/am good at are useless except maths

I'm not going to college to have fun..
TristanBacon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be honest, unless you're going into investment banking or want to become a government business advisor, there isn't much point doing Economics.
I studied Economics at AS Level, and as an entrepreneur with 2 business up and running, I've never used the knowledge I gained from Economics in my day-to-day work, or even in the business plan/cashflow forecast bit in the beginning. You learn a lot about national economics, currency exchange and such, but nothing you'd be using as an entrepreneur (at least, not at AS Level, perhaps A Level is more business-focused nowadays)

Maths is pretty important, because when are starting up your business, you need to have a complete understanding of the financial aspect of it, and will be using it on a day-to-day basis, in everything you do. I've never really been much of a mathematician myself, and so find it pretty hard to get my head around the numbers, but I do wish I'd studied maths more at school. Perhaps an A Level will help with that. If there's the option to do Accounting though, you should absolutely go and do that instead, as from what I understand, the kind of stuff you learn in Maths is the sort of thing you'd need to do something like Engineering, Biochemistry or perhaps secondary school teaching.

If you really don't like doing Maths, then I'd highly recommend doing the ICT one, as that'll give you a great understanding of development and tools that may be necessary for your startup later on. I did it, and now I have my own web development and online marketing company.

Definitely do Entrepreneurship. The content on the BTEC course will have you covered when you start up in the future. I wish I'd done it, but it wasn't an option at my college.

Do Business as well, as that'll compliment everything that you learn in Entrepreneurship, and will give you the ground-work knowledge that'll help you succeed later on. You'll probably look at financial accounting for small businesses as well as part of the course, which is useful (I did in my A Level Business at least, I don't know what the BTEC is like). So, either do the A Level Business or the BTEC Business, but just check to see which has more content. If there's a good finance module, then that should be a +1 in that column.

So as a summary:

- Entrepreneurship
- Business Studies or BTEC Business
- ICT or Computing (don't know the difference, it was just ICT a few years ago at my college)
and if you want to do a fourth one (either at AS Level or if you want to do 4 A levels)
- Maths or Accounting, if it's available

I hope that helps!
davidtyoember
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by billionaire17)
I'm starting my first year of college on September but I haven't even chosen subjects yet, let alone a college, I am deciding that today. All I care about is the education and knowledge I receive to ensure that my future business' succeeds, not the credentials i get at the end, any advise? I want to and I would start a business now (probably some sort of internet service) but I completely lack knowledge in anything business related. I will do my best to start the business during college however.

A Levels i'm considering:

- Maths
- Economics
- Business Studies
- Computing
- ICT

BTECs i'm considering:

- Enterprise and Entrepreneurship Level 3 Diploma (this looks really cool)
- Business Level 3 Extended Diploma

Examples of possible options:

1. BTEC Entrepreneurship, A Level Maths, A Level Economics
2. BTEC Entrepreneurship, A Level Business Studies, A Levels Economics
3. BTEC Business, A Level Maths, A Level Economics
4. A Level Business Studies, A Level Economics, A Level Maths, A Level ICT/Computing

As you can see, there is so many possible combinations of subjects I could take, I'm confused as ****

So here's the question, what subjects should I take together to provide the best learning experience for an entrepreneur? (examples above)

What area of entrepeneurship have you decided to aim for?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (36)
13.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (54)
20.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (37)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (32)
12.4%
How can I be the best version of myself? (78)
30.23%

Watched Threads