The Student Room Group

Please help! Had an accident yesterday and have questions on insurance

Hi guys,

I had accident yesterday. Nothing happened to me or the other person but both cars were not in a drivable condition after that and had to be towed away.

Basically this happened in London and my car is registered in Midlands and so is my insurance. My policy was for social purposes only. But this happened on my way after work.

Do you think I could be in trouble? Please help me!

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, by the sounds of it you were driving without insurance. You may get lucky and they may not question what you were doing but if they do there could be problems.
Reply 2
Original post by james22
Yes, by the sounds of it you were driving without insurance. You may get lucky and they may not question what you were doing but if they do there could be problems.

No I have an insurance but when the accident happened I was returning from work. Could I say I was coming back from supermarket? Which I actually was. I was coming back from ASDA! Would that cover as a social purpose?
Reply 3
Original post by shridharms
No I have an insurance but when the accident happened I was returning from work. Could I say I was coming back from supermarket? Which I actually was. I was coming back from ASDA! Would that cover as a social purpose?

If you have nsurance that only covers social events, and you were comming back from work then you are not insured so are driving without insurance. If they found out you were driving to work they would invalidate your insurance anyway so it probably doesn't matter exactly what you were doing at the time because your insurance would be invalidated. Just hope they don't find out.
Reply 4
Thanks James! I hope they dont. I have knots in my stomach now. All fingers and toes crossed.
Reply 5
You were driving illegally. Insurance companies will do whatever they can not to pay out which is why you should be as truthful as possible. And are you saying your insurance is registered in the midlands but you actually live in London? If that's the case then they definitely won't pay.

You'll have to wait and see but I suggest you update your policy once this has all finished.
Reply 6
Thanks Grimes. This was not all intentional. I got a job only recently. And I brought my car down only this weekend to pick my parents up from the airport. So until Sunday I was legally insured and was following the law. I was driving the car only for the intended purpose. My trashy luck, it had to happen on my first day out to work and back. :frown:

I'm really scared and dont want my insurance to be invalidated. Please do let me know if you have any advice.
Reply 7
How has the accident been left? I assume you exchanged insurance details? Has it been decided who was at fault? If it was the other drivers fault then you shouldn't need to involve your insurance company, if it was your fault then they may need to investigate further.

Fortunately I haven't had an accident yet so can't really comment on the details of what goes on afterwards!
Reply 8
We did exchange details. The address I gave was the midlands address as that is my permanent address. Both have not accepted liability. I guess will have to wait and see.

Thank you very much for your input tho!
Reply 9
Original post by Sebastian95
All u need to say is u were in London visiting family, they shouldnt go into all the ins and outs of why u were there, they will prob concentrate more on why it happened and who was at fault.

Thank you very much sebastian. That gives me some hope. Hope this gets resolved soon. Not able to concentrate at work!
Reply 10
I don't remember my insurance asking me why I was were I had my accident. They may not ask why you was there, if they do saying you was coming back from a supermarket wouldn't be lying, in one sense lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't be worried, it's very unlikely that they'll question you about such things. When my friend crashed he was getting himself worried about undeclared modifications, which are probably a lot more detectable by insurance companies, he got away with it. ('My friend' is generally my friend, not me.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Thanks Kumori! I just they hope dont . I guess I will stick to the supermarket reason if they do. Lets see.

Thanks Mike! You guys are making me feel a lot better now. Very much appreciated. My car is going to the garage today for cost estimation. Sitting tight.
Reply 13
Original post by shridharms
Thank you very much sebastian. That gives me some hope. Hope this gets resolved soon. Not able to concentrate at work!

If you are going to lie, then make sure you have details of who you were visiting, when and where ready (ie the address).

Whose fault was the incident?
You're only allowed to drive for social reasons? why? :confused: what difference is it if you're driving to work or to the shops? and how would they find out where you were going?
Just say you were in London for a few days and were coming out of asda. There shouldn't be any further questions. Don't stress to much about it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by deedee123
You're only allowed to drive for social reasons? why? :confused: what difference is it if you're driving to work or to the shops? and how would they find out where you were going?

Huge difference if you are commuting to work at regular working hours when it tends to busier.

Insurers usually have their suspicions after an accident, depending on time, Place of accident, if youve got a uniform on from the other party's statement. With the black boxes they can track your journeys aswell.

Bear in mind they dont need to prove you were driving to cancel your insurance or refuse indemnity
Original post by Henrikh
Huge difference if you are commuting to work at regular working hours when it tends to busier.

Insurers usually have their suspicions after an accident, depending on time, Place of accident, if youve got a uniform on from the other party's statement. With the black boxes they can track your journeys aswell.

Bear in mind they dont need to prove you were driving to cancel your insurance or refuse indemnity

What if you were going to work at 6pm? or going to the shops at 8am?
Reply 18
Original post by deedee123
What if you were going to work at 6pm? or going to the shops at 8am?

Shops at 8am? Probably raise suspicions but probably get away with it unless you have a couple of accidents at similar times and places.

But still a risk there.
Reply 19
As someone who has worked in the insurance industry for the last 11 years I feel I can offer some proper advice as some of the stuff above is a little crap to be honest! Pretty much all major insurers will allow you to drive to a "fixed place of work" under the social dometic and pleasure use (SDP) and this does not cost any extra. If you want to drive to DIFFERENT places of work, you will need business use and will normally have to pay for the pleasure. Now, as for the op, my immediate thought is that you are scamming your insurance company by telling them your car is registered and kept in the Midlands, but the cars is in a MUCH higher rate area, London, thus, making your insurance cheaper. Now if this is the case, fear not :wink: Unless you say something really stupid, it is not out of the ordinary for a person to live in one city but have an accident in another. The problem will only come to light if you give them an inkling that you normally reside in London but haven't changed your details with them, or this happens again :wink: I'm certainly not suggesting you commit insurance fraud (or continue if this is what this is) I am just giving you an idea how I would have considered/dealt with your claim if you had called and got through to me.

Quick Reply

Latest