The Student Room Group

Is this it for me if I fail this year?

I first went to Sixth Form in September 2011, and studied Business Studies, Philosophy & Ethics, Sociology and Media Studies. Even though I did well in January results, I didn't do so well in August results. I decided to redo Year 12 at another (better) college and also in subjects I actually would be interested in carrying on at University.

So, started another college in September 2012, doing A2 Media Studies, AS Sociology (no idea why I decided to start that again) and then AS English Literature and English Language (separate).

This year has been... a mixture of up and downs. In March, my results were a U in Sociology and a D in English Literature. I found out I could use my B from last year in Sociology as it was the same exam board and same module. I have re-sat my English Literature exam and will be finding out all my results next week.

My question is, if I don't do so well in my results (maybe not necessarily a complete fail, but C's and D's?) are my hopes of University dashed? I'd love to do English Literature at Uni, and the Universities I was looking at asked for BBB mainly.

I have no idea what to think, if I don't do so well, should I just give up with education? :confused:

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
you could try for a foundation year?
Reply 2
Original post by sophhiee
I first went to Sixth Form in September 2011, and studied Business Studies, Philosophy & Ethics, Sociology and Media Studies. Even though I did well in January results, I didn't do so well in August results. I decided to redo Year 12 at another (better) college and also in subjects I actually would be interested in carrying on at University.

So, started another college in September 2012, doing A2 Media Studies, AS Sociology (no idea why I decided to start that again) and then AS English Literature and English Language (separate).

This year has been... a mixture of up and downs. In March, my results were a U in Sociology and a D in English Literature. I found out I could use my B from last year in Sociology as it was the same exam board and same module. I have re-sat my English Literature exam and will be finding out all my results next week.

My question is, if I don't do so well in my results (maybe not necessarily a complete fail, but C's and D's?) are my hopes of University dashed? I'd love to do English Literature at Uni, and the Universities I was looking at asked for BBB mainly.

I have no idea what to think, if I don't do so well, should I just give up with education? :confused:

Thanks in advance

Maybe you need to aim at an easier university if you're really that desperate to go, and have you considered doing btec's? It would take another 2 years for you to complete those though
Not all hope is lost, look around at different universities to see what their requirements are, maybe even drop an email to them about it all.

Don't give up, no matter what, I pretty much failed first year of college by getting DEEU...thinking me hopes of ever getting on to an Nursing degree had gone down the toilet. They didn't have any re-start places so I had to beg and bargain with them over letting me come back on different terms. As it was they only let me back because they knew I worked hard just got things about wrong that year due to some issues, that and I had 100% attendance which helped my case. The conditions of my return were to carry on with the Eng Lit which I got a D in, Continue the E in maths as I was 2 marks away from a D but I had to do the AS alongside the A2 and had to completely restart the other E in physics (though this I had to fight for). So all in all had to spend three years in college, which isn't always looked on great by universities and even so I got three out of four offers at university and am currently just under six weeks away from qualifying as a Staff Nurse !!!

So, try not to worry, if you want something it can happen :smile: Good Luck :smile:
If you dont get the grades you need (BBB) then just look at lower down uni's that require lower entry grades and just work harder next year to get the grades you want, it can be done (i know from personal experience i went from UUU to AAB-ABC hopefully not got results yet)

Uni's that have lower offers are: Staffordshire University - 200-240 points, York St John University - 240-280, University of East London - 240, Middlesex University - 260, or look at foundation years as they do tend to have lower entry grades

good luck on results day :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest