The Student Room Group

What Is The Worst Drug In The UK?

Poll

What Is The Worst & Most Used Drug In The UK?

I was reading over an article from the BBC about why the UK doesn't have as big a crystal meth problem as there is in the US, and it got me thinking about the most dangerous and most used drug in Britain.

By this I mean a drug which is harmful but also the most frequently used as well, such as cocaine or speed. Cannabis is probably the most used illegal drug but it doesn't have nearly as much of a devastating effect on lives as much as coke does.

So, in your own opinion, what is the most harmful and frequently used drug in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nicotine and Alcohol are pretty much tied.
(edited 10 years ago)
Glasgow is know for having a pretty bad Heroin problem. But considering the most widespread drug, I would say Alcohol. The sheer number of people who get injured, have liver problems, die as a result of drink driving. Its not the most dangerous but probably the worst. Also my favourite.
Heroin is the worst of all the drugs in terms of danger, dependency and straight up 'I'll-kill-you-ness' (English student struggling to find a decent word :biggrin: bring on A-Level results eh?)

As far as frequently used, nicotine and alcohol are kinda tied. The links between smoking and adverse health are right there in our faces but thanks to the government taxing and profitable business the tobacco companies give us as a country, it's going to keep on surviving in this country. Alcohol too, but I like that one :woo:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I think Heroin, Crack cocaine and Crystal meth are probably the worst purely because they are so addictive and have large overdose risks. Although Alcohol and Cigarettes are costly and obviously damage millions of lives I think this is more to do with the fact they are used by so many more people and are almost encouraged to be consumed rather than being inherently dangerous drugs. If the same amount of people regularly used drugs like crack society would crumble. Also whilst it's relatively easy to be a casual smoker/drinker you rarely hear about the casual crack cocaine smoker (I may be wrong on this though as I don't know of anyone who takes these types of drugs)
Original post by Substantia
Also whilst it's relatively easy to be a casual smoker/drinker you rarely hear about the casual crack cocaine smoker (I may be wrong on this though as I don't know of anyone who takes these types of drugs)

You're not wrong, there is no such thing as a casual crack/smackhead. Those types of drugs instantly hook a person.
At least alcohol is well understood, I'd say ketamine, GHB or methedrone. GHB for the rage it causes and the other two are relatively unknown, so I'd say these boyos.
Reply 7
Original post by danielnkwocha
You're not wrong, there is no such thing as a casual crack/smackhead. Those types of drugs instantly hook a person.

Not necessarily, you can go for a one-off and not get hooked.
Reply 8
Original post by Kiss

Do you know from experience?
Acid... Some people never leave 'the hole.'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Alcohol.
Reply 11
Original post by Nvmthename
Acid... Some people never leave 'the hole.'

Posted from TSR Mobile

What? Acid is one of the safest on that list, are you seriously suggesting acid is worse than crack? What do you mean by never leaving the hole? Obviously acid can leave life long impressions on people after overwhelming and intense experiences but these are rarely negative/life destroying.
Reply 12
Original post by Sanctuary
Do you know from experience?

Well that would be telling :colone:
Reply 13
Original post by Kiss
Well that would be telling :colone:

How can we establish whether there is any substance behind your claim if you do not provide a source or describe your own experience?
Original post by Kiss

I find this hard to believe. I've seen loved ones turn into junkies and wrecks from a 'one off', so unless you can provide some kind of evidence be it personal or otherwise I'll stick to my beliefs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

'Nuff said, really.
Reply 16
How can we establish whether there is any substance behind your claim if you do not provide a source or describe your own experience?

What kind of moron is going to admit to the possession of a class A drug on an internet forum? :rolleyes:

Not that one person's testimony would prove anything anyway. Not everyone who has taken heroin is an addict - as long as you are careful you could take it occasionally.
Reply 18
Original post by Futility
What kind of moron is going to admit to the possession of a class A drug on an internet forum? :rolleyes:

An anonymous one. :rolleyes:
Reply 19
An anonymous one. :rolleyes:

Unless he's using a VPNS his identity is easily traceable from his IP address. Admitting an offense which carries a maximum penalty of 7 years in prison in any capacity is reckless, doing so in a public forum in which one's identity is easily traceable is utterly stupid.

Quick Reply