The Student Room Group

can i go through clearing!

Hi, just received my results today and fulfilled my conditional offer, however I no longer want to do this course and really want to do another one. Can I cancel my offer and still go through the clearing process?? I do not think Im eligible for the adjustment process so really want to go through clearing! thanks!
Original post by Amo1234
Hi, just received my results today and fulfilled my conditional offer, however I no longer want to do this course and really want to do another one. Can I cancel my offer and still go through the clearing process?? I do not think Im eligible for the adjustment process so really want to go through clearing! thanks!

You can't cancel.

What you can do is ring up your firm choice and ask to be released into Clearing.

This process can take anything from 24 hours to a fortnight so get on the phone ASAP.
Reply 2
Original post by Amo1234

You're eligible for adjustment if you meet AND exceed your offer. Anyway, if you want to go into clearing then you'll have to contact your firm uni where you're now unconditional firm and ask them to release you so that you go into clearing. Remember this is a risky strategy though and you're not guaranteed to find something in clearing so make sure you do your research and are sure you don't want to go to your firm before you make any rash decisions to be released into clearing. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
How did you get your results a week earlier than everyone else?
Reply 4
Original post by ladynova
How did you get your results a week earlier than everyone else?

It's SQA results day today.
Reply 5
thanks for all the advice! been released into clearing now so will start hunting!
Reply 6
Also just wondering, since the uni's haven't given out all there offers yet, could there be potential spaces appearing over the next couple of weeks?
Reply 7
Original post by Amo1234
Also just wondering, since the uni's haven't given out all there offers yet, could there be potential spaces appearing over the next couple of weeks?

What's there now for Scottish students (assuming you're Scottish hence why you got results today) is the full list. English and RUK students are considered differently.
Reply 8
I see, called up one university and they asked for my post code and then said there were only government spaces left which my post code doesn't coincide for. Anyone know what this means?
Reply 9
Original post by Amo1234
I see, called up one university and they asked for my post code and then said there were only government spaces left which my post code doesn't coincide for. Anyone know what this means?

They're probably widening access places where they're only offered to those people who live in the SIMD 20/40/whatever areas. It basically means those that live in the most deprived areas. What university was it?
Original post by Amo1234

Do you still want to go to the same uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
no, I had called up Edinburgh university, and the university I had my offer with was Caledonian. That might be it, thank you!!
Reply 12
hi there i am 19 yrs old, i have firmed aston as my top choice and kent as second, to do human biology however i hate biology and want to do french with something combined like fincance or business. or maths. grades needed are abb and bbb. However, i need help now, im sure i need to go thorugh clearing. i dont mind going to aston but they dont do the course i want. ALso i am ill with a chronic tension headache and have been for almot 4 years which has impacted upon my academic life, therefore im sure i need one year out to relax and recover from the illness( more details as i have a post on it), therefore if i find a course that i like at a uni what should i tell them ? to keep it for me for next year? how would i get through it through clearing if possible ?
Original post by prinay123
hi there i am 19 yrs old, i have firmed aston as my top choice and kent as second, to do human biology however i hate biology and want to do french with something combined like fincance or business. or maths. grades needed are abb and bbb. However, i need help now, im sure i need to go thorugh clearing. i dont mind going to aston but they dont do the course i want. ALso i am ill with a chronic tension headache and have been for almot 4 years which has impacted upon my academic life, therefore im sure i need one year out to relax and recover from the illness( more details as i have a post on it), therefore if i find a course that i like at a uni what should i tell them ? to keep it for me for next year? how would i get through it through clearing if possible ?

Would it not be better to cancel this application cycle and re-apply next year for the course you want to do without the stress of running around in clearing? You will also know your A2 results so can target your applications more effectively.

Universities will advise you to reapply in the next application cycle. They won't accept a deferred entry through Clearing.
Reply 15

Best to apply next application, as Uni's don't do deferred entry through clearing. But this way you can get rest, work exp etc in your Gap year. Then you will be fresh for the next academic year, and hopefully start on top form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending