The Student Room Group

Urgent Help needed, EY Audit Role.

Hi there, I applied for the Audit role at EY and just got my acceptance letter by post. The problem is that while I intended to go for ICAEW and that is what my partner interview was based on as well, the offer letter says that I will be studying towards my ICAS qualification. As I have exemptions for the ICAEW and had my heart set out to do that qualification I find it quite disheartening that they have offered my ICAS instead. This in no way is meant to undermine ICAS which I believe is an equally good route but my three years at university as well as the entire recruitment process thus far has lead me to believe that ICAEW is indeed the best for me. My question is that what should I do now? Is it possible to change from ICAS to ICAEW once the offer has been made as I haven't accepted the offer as of yet. The office that I applied for offers both the qualifications as well so what do you think I should do? I thank you for your help in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Contact them and ask the question. If everything up to this point has indicated ICAEW, then you're well within your rights to raise the question.
If you're not that fussed then I say stick with the ICAS. In the UK both ICAS and ICAEW is seen to have equal weighting with some people even saying ICAS to be better.

However if you really want to do the ICAEW then I suppose you already are in the safe zone to discuss this issue with them as you already got an offer. The worse that can happen is that they say no and give you a choice of staying with them or not. I say contact the HR staff that was responsible for your application and they should be able to link you through to the relevant person.

For me personally, I would stick with the ICAS and make no noise. A part of me feels that I am walking on egg shells by causing annoyance to the people in a place I haven't even started working in yet. Might just be me and my way of thinking :tongue:
Are your exemptions only not applicable to ICAEW and not to ICAS?

If you want to try to change the qualification then just contact HR and take it from there. I'm sure that asking won't count against you in any way.
Reply 4
E&Y have a deal with ICAS which secures cheap tuition for guaranteed number of students, which is supposed to be hushed up but is common knowledge within the b4.

Your exemptions should still count, and in the long run there is no difference with which one you qualify with. I had the same thing in Uni where they really pushed the ICAEW, they dont mention ICAS as it's pretty much the same thing.

As they offer both you may be able to switch but one thing to consider which most people dont think of before starting will be your peer group. If your class are all studying ICAS then I would stick with them, the bonding that 3 years of horrid exams brings is useful when you're stressed in revision week and really need support.
Reply 5
Email the offer team and see if they are able to help?

[email protected]
Reply 6
If you are in UK&I Audit you would usually do the ICAEW. If you joined the Financial Services/FS line you would most likely be doing ICAS.

Either way, EY aren't really fond of letting you take exemptions. They will not let you take them for the TC/1st year exams (of which there are five). I'm unsure if this changes for the TPS/2nd year, however you will still have to attend the tuition classes and pass some test to make sure you know the content before you go to work in the office.

In terms of qualification weight, both ICAS and ICAEW hold the same prestige. The former received it's Royal Charter slightly earlier and has very hard TPS/2nd year exams. The latter has much harder final year/3rd year exams and you'll find Finance Directors generally have taken the ICAEW.

Either way the best thing is to contact the department you just applied for but you should really accept the offer anyway, there's not really a difference. And as mentioned just above you won't be allowed to use your exemptions for the first year anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending