When is your study leave? Watch

This discussion is closed.
LugzMcPie
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by fionah)
Press "reply" after the post

I do 2 A levels at college and psychology at home, and have 3 1 1/2 hour lessons at college for each of my subjects.

We used to have four lessons a week but last year (between my as and a2) they cut it down to 3 longer ones.
Thanks fionah. I see. Longer lessons are better I think, but with a short break. Then more work can get done.

Lugz.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by *reasoning*)
For caring about your exam grades?

What wrath? you're leaving school at the end of Year 13, so you won't have to put up with them any longer!

You could just stay home and revise 2 weeks or so before your exams, and you could pop in or whatever if you got to stuck on something.
If i don't actually achieve my grades to get to my chosen university - i'd like to have a good attendence record and relationship with my teachers so that they can negotiate with my university as to why they should accept me...(in most cases our head of year has managed to convince the universites). In addition our sixthform is quite strict, if you don't attend lessons and fail to have a good excuse you're no longer expected to attend those lessons.
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by waiting2smile)
If i don't actually achieve my grades to get to my chosen university - i'd like to have a good attendence record and relationship with my teachers so that they can negotiate with my university as to why they should accept me...(in most cases our head of year has managed to convince the universites). In addition our sixthform is quite strict, if you don't attend lessons and fail to have a good excuse you're no longer expected to attend those lessons.
bad bad bad way to go about it .... i have an offer for BBB in dentistry because i gave an orgasmic interview but if i get BBB i'm not gonna go, because i think the course will be in too much demand
ABB at the minimum please kthx.
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
(Original post by DazYa13)
bad bad bad way to go about it .... i have an offer for BBB in dentistry because i gave an orgasmic interview but if i get BBB i'm not gonna go, because i think the course will be in too much demand
ABB at the minimum please kthx.
I'm sorry you'll have to write more coherently - you've lost me.
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I'm sorry you'll have to write more coherently - you've lost me.
sorry

if they don't want you on the course because you do not meet their academic requirements then there is no point in studying for the degree prog as you will STRUGGLE YOUR WAY THROUGH IT

don't get your teachers to suck up to the university just cuz you didnt meet their standards
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
(Original post by DazYa13)
sorry

if they don't want you on the course because you do not meet their academic requirements then there is no point in studying for the degree prog as you will STRUGGLE YOUR WAY THROUGH IT

don't get your teachers to suck up to the university just cuz you didnt meet their standards
I’m quite confident I can achieve an AAB – however during my AS I missed an A in English by literally two marks. I think if you’re achieving those grades you’re quite capable of not struggling as you suggest. But I’m anxious my university may simply dismiss me without realising I’m competent – therefore if my teacher presents a good case they’ll relent. It probably won’t actually come to that but if it does it’s nice to be reassured in some way that you can still fight for your place.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I’m quite confident I can achieve an AAB – however during my AS I missed an A in English by literally two marks. I think if you’re achieving those grades you’re quite capable of not struggling as you suggest. But I’m anxious my university may simply dismiss me without realising I’m competent – therefore if my teacher presents a good case they’ll relent. It probably won’t actually come to that but if it does it’s nice to be reassured in some way that you can still fight for your place.
it is heartbreaking when you have to fight for two places and you lose
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
it is heartbreaking when you have to fight for two places and you lose
I thought you were leaving for a few weeks or so :confused:
sarahwhatevver
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have found out our sixthform goes on study leave very late: June 7th. That gives hardly any study leave time. I'm quite shocked and rather upset. Their argument is they'd prefer to keep us in school as that will ensure maximum success. I however, find it better to revise at home rather than still continue studying and revising at the same time :mad:
I have IB exams from the 4th of May but I dont have any study leave... :confused: in fact, my teacher was pretty surprised I asked when we were going to have one!
Agrippina
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have found out our sixthform goes on study leave very late: June 7th. That gives hardly any study leave time. I'm quite shocked and rather upset. Their argument is they'd prefer to keep us in school as that will ensure maximum success. I however, find it better to revise at home rather than still continue studying and revising at the same time :mad:
Our study leave starts May the 21st and finishes June the 14th And since my last exam is June the 8th that means I get a few days off, yay! Although unfortunately my first exam (one of the stupid worthless general studies modules) is before study leave starts.

Our new headteacher has just completely obliterated year 11 study leave, so don't worry waiting2smile, it could be worse!
DazYa
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
ok convinced, however there is still something about it that i'm not sure of.
malledo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
last year my study leave started a week after my first exam. I had one day before the rest of my exams. Other people at my school had taken all their exams before study leave started. the only good thing with that was that I got about 3 weeks to just chill out after I had finished them.
kita
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Okay, I dont get to go on study leave until 11th June... and thats for A2!! God
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kita)
Okay, I dont get to go on study leave until 11th June... and thats for A2!! God
May not be a bad thing - If you concentrate in your revision lessons in class then it can prove to be very useful indeed.
kita
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by *reasoning*)
May not be a bad thing - If you concentrate in your revision lessons in class then it can prove to be very useful indeed.
I cant....ive lost all concentration now i really cant do lessons anymore lol. Everyone is the same
Acaila
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My study leave starts on 13th of May and my first exam is 14th May (English). Although it finishes on the 6th of Junr and my last exam is the 31st of May so I get almost a whole week off
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
study leave is on 7th May...i guess i'm a little sad as it may be my last day at school...
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ummm

You do know that most admissions tutors aren't particularly impressed by teachers/parents phoning up on behalf of applicants to plead cases.

While it's very useful to have a teacher on hand to attest to your academic ability/UMS marks it really goes against you if you aren't capable of dialling a telephone number and stating your own case.

Some people do get a place with dropped grades because of what their teacher says to the admissions tutors on results day....but 9 times out of 10 they would have got the place with dropped grades anyway....and in the 1 in 10 of cases that pleading a case does make a difference you're likely to be far far more successful if you do your own legwork (even if you have a teacher on hand to support you/back you up).
Insatiable
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Ummm

You do know that most admissions tutors aren't particularly impressed by teachers/parents phoning up on behalf of applicants to plead cases.

While it's very useful to have a teacher on hand to attest to your academic ability/UMS marks it really goes against you if you aren't capable of dialling a telephone number and stating your own case.

Some people do get a place with dropped grades because of what their teacher says to the admissions tutors on results day....but 9 times out of 10 they would have got the place with dropped grades anyway....and in the 1 in 10 of cases that pleading a case does make a difference you're likely to be far far more successful if you do your own legwork (even if you have a teacher on hand to support you/back you up).
It's really starting to hack me off the way you seem to think you can speak on behalf of all admissions tutors. They aren't all going to react in exactly the same way so stop slamming people for deciding to let someone with some authority speak on their behalf.

I'm sure admissions tutors don't look too kindly on people who pull fictitious statistics out of their arse either.
waiting2smile
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Ummm

Either way I'd prefer to have some form of back up - if they become difficult. I'm not wholly confident they'll take my word for it so it's nice if a teacher who knows you very well and is aware of what you are capable of can support you. I have just realised i'm thinking the worst - i have to change my way of thinking by replacing it with more positive thoughts. I will pass my exams (crosses fingers).
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (203)
12.7%
Excited (139)
8.69%
Worried (291)
18.2%
Terrified (363)
22.7%
Meh (143)
8.94%
Confused (35)
2.19%
Putting on a brave face (221)
13.82%
Impatient (204)
12.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise