The Student Room Group

Guys, when would you pay for a girl you were having lunch with?

I'm very confused if this lunch was a date or not. My bestfriend said if he offers to pay it means he's a date. He insisted on paying. However, after walking me to my door (and having a look at this thing - he didn't walk me to the door and bolt ) when we said goodbye he didn't try and kiss me.

Then I spoke to a male friend, and he said he'd pay for a female friend though even if it was just a friends thing. I was a bit surprised, I've had guys pay for cake or a coffee or something when it wasn't a date, but never a full meal and even though they were friends things, most of them certainly fancied me, even on dates these days a lot of people went halves I thought. So would you pay for female friends lunch, if you just saw her as a friend? But then maybe it's only a date if it's dinner rather than lunch?

Also are there any other ways in the future you can tell if something is a date or not?

Scroll to see replies

Being the gentleman that I am, I always pay for the women's meal as they are persecuted enough in society because of their gender, and saving them a few of your English Pounds is the least I can do. I also pay for the taxi home :smile: Alas, mon ami, bitches love the respect.
I would pay for her meal if it was a one off, however if it was a regular meet that we would do at lunch time perhaps, then obviously, pay for your own half.
I would never pay for a girl, that's despicable - you can't buy people, no matter what gender they are.

But seriously, I wouldn't pay for a friend unless they were significantly poorer than me.
When I am single, i'll pay for old time female friends/ female best friends out of courtesy or if they are paying by card (did this today), but also for the girl i'm into.
If i'm in a relationship, it stops. Unless it is clearly for a best friend as a sign of goodwill or faith).

If i'm interested in a girl, I will invite her, and her alone to do stuff with me(anything you can think of under the sun).
Well yes dinner, but things like walks/cinema's/daytrips any reason to spend time with her alone. (How you can tell its dating)
I'm also into old/unfashionable thinking myselfm with guys paying for ladies, I will always offer to pay even if she does have money or more money than me:s
LOL it's weird, I also say that I offer to pay only for girls I like/ am on a date with. I guess I flex it, without realising.
Original post by Hercule Poirot
Being the gentleman that I am, I always pay for the women's meal as they are persecuted enough in society because of their gender, and saving them a few of your English Pounds is the least I can do. I also pay for the taxi home :smile: Alas, mon ami, bitches love the respect.

I enjoy the complete 180 this does towards the end

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Never. Strong independent women can easily pay for themselves :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by PythianLegume
I would never pay for a girl, that's despicable - you can't buy people, no matter what gender they are.

But seriously, I wouldn't pay for a friend unless they were significantly poorer than me.

I don't think I can be bought either, but I think it's a nice on occasion - it shows the guy to be generous.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't think I can be bought either, but I think it's a nice on occasion - it shows the guy to be generous.

You misunderstand me - I was making a joke because 'paying for' is synonymous with 'buying' - if I said I'd paid for Sky-TV,you would assume I bought it.

Have you just met this guy? If you just met him and he paid for lunch, it sounds like a date.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ilem
Never. Strong independent women can easily pay for themselves :smile:

I think strong men can show a little generosity without making judgement that a woman is weak. I wouldn't expect a guy to pay and offer to pay my half, but when they insist they pay, why should i begrudge them a good deed?
Reply 10
Original post by PythianLegume
You misunderstand me - I was making a joke because 'paying for' is synonymous with 'buying' - if I said I'd paid for Sky-TV,you would assume I bought it.

Have you just met this guy? If you just met him and he paid for lunch, it sounds like a date.

Haha okay then, sorry about that :smile: No I haven't just met him, our parents are friends. Which is why it's confusing we've never seen each other just me and him before and I hadn't seen him in a few years.
Reply 11
I think strong men can show a little generosity without making judgement that a woman is weak. I wouldn't expect a guy to pay and offer to pay my half, but when they insist they pay, why should i begrudge them a good deed?

The entire tradition is antiquated. I'm certainly not going to offer to pay for someone's meal just because they happen to possess a vagina.
I'd pay only if she really didn't have the money for it at the time. But tbh, being poorer than most women of the same age... I wouldn't pay for her meal - date or not. Just me though. :dontknow:
Reply 13
Original post by ilem
The entire tradition is antiquated. I'm certainly not going to offer to pay for someone's meal just because they happen to possess a vagina.

It makes both parties feel good, therefore imo it's not antiquated. No one ever suggested you did, just perhaps for someone with a vagina who you really liked. When I was 16 I used to refuse to let a guy pay on the premise that if we were ever going to get equal pay, then we should pay equally for things. But, having spoken to my exes - some guys really enjoy feeling like they can provide for their woman and I relaxed a bit , stopped feeling guilty and now enjoy it back.
Reply 14
Im a poor student. My girlfriend knows this because she is as poor as me. For this reason, we split it! She's always been upfront about these things, so it's fine.
Reply 15
It makes both parties feel good, therefore imo it's not antiquated. No one ever suggested you did, just perhaps for someone with a vagina who you really liked. When I was 16 I used to refuse to let a guy pay on the premise that if we were ever going to get equal pay, then we should pay equally for things. But, having spoken to my exes - some guys really enjoy feeling like they can provide for their woman and I relaxed a bit , stopped feeling guilty and now enjoy it back.

Well I'm certain you enjoy having your dining expenses covered :lol:
Reply 16
Original post by ilem

Oh and furthermore, some girls might like treating you back. Like with my last ex the unwritten agreement was that because he had more money then me, he'd treat me to dinner and I'd treat him to cheaper things like the cinema or coffee.
Original post by Hercule Poirot

In what ways are women in the UK persecuted for being female?
Reply 18
Original post by Captain Casual
When I am single, i'll pay for old time female friends/ female best friends out of courtesy or if they are paying by card (did this today), but also for the girl i'm into.
If i'm in a relationship, it stops. Unless it is clearly for a best friend as a sign of goodwill or faith).

If i'm interested in a girl, I will invite her, and her alone to do stuff with me(anything you can think of under the sun).
Well yes dinner, but things like walks/cinema's/daytrips any reason to spend time with her alone. (How you can tell its dating)
I'm also into old/unfashionable thinking myselfm with guys paying for ladies, I will always offer to pay even if she does have money or more money than me:s
LOL it's weird, I also say that I offer to pay only for girls I like/ am on a date with. I guess I flex it, without realising.

Aww chivalry isn't dead!
So would you say , lunch is a friends only thing then?
Reply 19
Oh and furthermore, some girls might like treating you back. Like with my last ex the unwritten agreement was that because he had more money then me, he'd treat me to dinner and I'd treat him to cheaper things like the cinema or coffee.

I wouldn't mind that, I just dislike the unspoken agreement that the male is expected to pay on dates on the basis of him being male.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending