The Student Room Group

Do you have to pass every assignment to pass a module?

For example, if you fail an exam, but the rest of the module still puts your mark at 40% or over, do you pass or fail the module?

Obviously, it depends on the university, but in general do you have to pass every assignment to pass the module regardless of the overall mark?
Original post by TobaccoSmoke
For example, if you fail an exam, but the rest of the module still puts your mark at 40% or over, do you pass or fail the module?

Obviously, it depends on the university, but in general do you have to pass every assignment to pass the module regardless of the overall mark?

I believe you have to pass every bit of work to pass the module. Exams usually weigh more than coursework anyway.
Reply 2
Yes you need to pass the assignments. Tbh they are not that difficult and seen as Universities have more grade boundaries than just an A, B, C etc it's a lot easier to pass it.
With my university, 40% is the module pass mark for undergrad courses, but 35% on a "component" - eg a coursework assignment - will get you a pass if the overall average for the module is above 40%.
Original post by christhebull
With my university, 40% is the module pass mark for undergrad courses, but 35% on a "component" - eg a coursework assignment - will get you a pass if the overall average for the module is above 40%.

My uni has the same system - compensatory passes, they call it.
Reply 5
Original post by TobaccoSmoke

Original post by Knalchemist
I believe you have to pass every bit of work to pass the module. Exams usually weigh more than coursework anyway.

Original post by Bubble_10
Yes you need to pass the assignments. Tbh they are not that difficult and seen as Universities have more grade boundaries than just an A, B, C etc it's a lot easier to pass it.

Original post by christhebull

Original post by Origami Bullets
My uni has the same system - compensatory passes, they call it.

It entirely depends upon your university/institution.

In my job last year I looked at the study regulations for 20 competitor institutions to Nottingham, along with anyone else from the Russell Group (since the University care so much about them), and they vary so wildly it's unbelievable. The only things which vary more seem to be percentages required to progress to the next academic year, and options if you don't pass the first time round.

If you're not sure, ask your personal tutor, or if you want independent and impartial advice, your students' union should have a confidential education advice service who'll let you know the craic :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending