The Student Room Group

Maths capability required for optometry

This is for any current optometry students, I have finished my A levels this year and did human biology, maths and psychology. I managed to achieve a B at AS but with the way my A2's went I think I've failed it overall and I am worried on the difficulty of the maths involved in the optometry course. How much maths is involved and how good must you be to manage the degree? :/ Thank you
City university do not require maths. Most students do it, but for those without A'Level maths they lay on an additional first year catch up course.
Reply 2
Original post by Madsometimes
City university do not require maths. Most students do it, but for those without A'Level maths they lay on an additional first year catch up course.

Thankyou, I guess I would have background knowledge of maths having studied it but do you much about the course itself and how much is involved and how difficult it is? Thankyou
I don't know. I'm an applicant, not a student.
Reply 4
Original post by Madsometimes
I don't know. I'm an applicant, not a student.

Oh okay! :smile: Where are your offers?
I only applied to City because I can't move from London for family reasons. I have met my offer :-)
I'm an access student, so my offer was to have biology and one other science subject at distinction.
Maths in Optometry is easy and is more GCSE level than anything else. It's basically fraction, log, trigonometry and basic statistics . Don't worry about it. The trickier part is biology and clinical skills
Is there more maths in dispensing? I have heard that this is quite mathematical.
Nope. In dispensing you only use maths to calculate things like dioptric power and lens thickness. Its just sin, cos,tan,properties of triangles and circles...pretty straightforward

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending