The Student Room Group

Mental Health Nursing 2014 Entry

Hi

This thread is for anyone who is about study mental health nursing and is applying in the 2014 cycle. (Either March or September Intake)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi guys!! I'm looking to start Mental Health Nursing in Sept 2014....was suppossed to start last year but long story short....its now next year after I do the access course.

Feeling quite aprehensive about starting...cant believe this new chapter at the age of 27! Very excited though :smile:
Reply 2
I hope it goes okay I am gonna aim to get my application in by November by the latest for this year. I do not want to post it later say in January because of February intakes for some of the course but I have got it all sorted just waiting for someone to spell check and grammar check my personal statement and all I need to put in is my qualifications and employment history and the pay the money and it should be done. I am also gonna sort out my maths this month and have plan a and b for just in case I don't pass.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I am gonna work on my form today and hopefully get boring bits done not sure if I should mention my gcses from previous years at secondary even though it was quite some time ago I did them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
hey guys :smile: , was just wondering where you were thinking of applying? i've got southampton, nottingham and cardiff on my list so far, need a few more though haha
Reply 5
Currently looking to apply to Hertfordshire, Anglia Ruskin, Kings College London and City Uni. Need to travel as have 3 children so can't stay away from home!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Please see signature for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya guys...
I'm thinking of applying for MH Nursing Sept 2014 intake but I'm wondering what my chances are of getting in. I don't have any clinical experience but I do have a non-related part time job where I have picked up loads of transferable skills. I am going to be 18 and j know that this particular course has a lot of mature students on it, so will they think I'm 'too young' to get on the course? However I do get mostly A's and B's in my A Level exams. What do you guys think? Am I at a disadvantage? I am thinking of maybe doing another degree instead and maybe come back to Nursing after I have finished it so I am older and hopefully more experienced as I will look for clinical experience etc. Can anyone give me any advice?
Reply 8
I would go for it x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys!
im starting my access course in 2 weeks, followed by applying for uni this September for the September 2014 cohort(mental health nursing). My choices are (in this particular order); UWE, Cardiff, KCL, Southampton, and Edge Hill(I like the prospect of a placement at Ashworth MSH). I'm overly excited about the whole thing, and I can't wait to get applying!
Reply 10
Reply 11
Original post by needsomeadvice12
Hiya guys...
I'm thinking of applying for MH Nursing Sept 2014 intake but I'm wondering what my chances are of getting in. I don't have any clinical experience but I do have a non-related part time job where I have picked up loads of transferable skills. I am going to be 18 and j know that this particular course has a lot of mature students on it, so will they think I'm 'too young' to get on the course? However I do get mostly A's and B's in my A Level exams. What do you guys think? Am I at a disadvantage? I am thinking of maybe doing another degree instead and maybe come back to Nursing after I have finished it so I am older and hopefully more experienced as I will look for clinical experience etc. Can anyone give me any advice?

im applying september 2014, going straight from sixth form. i've never really worried about my age haha but when i went on the open days at uni most of the students there were all quite young anyway (18/19) so i wouldn't worry about how mature you are
Original post by sianrk
im applying september 2014, going straight from sixth form. i've never really worried about my age haha but when i went on the open days at uni most of the students there were all quite young anyway (18/19) so i wouldn't worry about how mature you are

That makes me feel a lot better! Thanks for this reply! Which open days were these? And what Uni's are you thinking of applying for, for what branch of Nursing, may I ask? :smile:
I'm applying for sept 2014 entry :smile: I didn't do well in my ALevels (210 ucas) so I'm starting a BTEC level 3 health and social care diploma fast track to get my points up :smile: (thought I'd tell you that just incase anyone is in the same boat as me?!) I plan to apply for York, Huddersfield, Birmingham City, Hull and Manchester - in order of preference :smile:

To those worried about age, many people go straight from 6th form college, unis just ask that you have some experience or shadowing in a caring role + meet their entry requirements:smile:
Original post by LucieSophia_
I'm applying for sept 2014 entry :smile: I didn't do well in my ALevels (210 ucas) so I'm starting a BTEC level 3 health and social care diploma fast track to get my points up :smile: (thought I'd tell you that just incase anyone is in the same boat as me?!) I plan to apply for York, Huddersfield, Birmingham City, Hull and Manchester - in order of preference :smile:

To those worried about age, many people go straight from 6th form college, unis just ask that you have some experience or shadowing in a caring role + meet their entry requirements:smile:

Thanks for the info! Just wanted to ask, what if you don't have any experience in care in hospital environments etc? The only experience I have is caring for younger brothers etc. Would that count as experience? What type of experience do you have?
Reply 15
That makes me feel a lot better! Thanks for this reply! Which open days were these? And what Uni's are you thinking of applying for, for what branch of Nursing, may I ask? :smile:

so far i've been to nottingham and southampton, both of which i'm going to apply to along with cardiff, leeds and one of the london uni's but not sure which one yet
and im going to do mental health nursing :smile:
Another applicant here! o/
I'm probably applying for York, UEA, Cumbria, Northumbria and Leeds. Worried about work experience though. Serious question, would being in an inpatient unit myself count? :tongue:

Edit: What are everybody's GCSEs like?
Original post by sianrk
so far i've been to nottingham and southampton, both of which i'm going to apply to along with cardiff, leeds and one of the london uni's but not sure which one yet
and im going to do mental health nursing :smile:

Nice! Do you have any experience in the field at all? And do you think it's necessary to have it?
Original post by Anonymous #2
Another applicant here! o/
I'm probably applying for York, UEA, Cumbria, Northumbria and Leeds. Worried about work experience though. Serious question, would being in an inpatient unit myself count? :tongue:

Edit: What are everybody's GCSEs like?

I'm also worried about the work experience. Do you have any? My GCSE's and A Levels seem to meet the entry requirements though which is slightly comforting. Are you doing your A Levels? :smile:

PS: were you in an inpatient unit? You can always write about how caring the nurses were to you made you realise that you also want to make that kind of positive impact on someone's life etc :smile:
Thanks for the info! Just wanted to ask, what if you don't have any experience in care in hospital environments etc? The only experience I have is caring for younger brothers etc. Would that count as experience? What type of experience do you have?

That's good experience to have but some universities say that you HAVE to have experience in a hospital or caring environment. I'd just check the entry requirements as that's where it says if its required :smile: And I have experience shadowing a senior mental health nurse in a hospital and have also volunteered in a day centre for adults with learning disabilities :smile: Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest