The Student Room Group

Girls: are gentlemen sweet, charming and sexy, or annoying, patronising and pathetic?

This poll is closed

Opinions on being a gentleman?

Sweet, charming, sexy 85%
Annoying, patronising, pathetic15%
Total votes: 27
Seems to be a common fear. Is chivalry dead, and is that a good thing?

How do I make this a poll :P

edit: OK it's made. At first glance seems to be a 3: 1 split in favour of being a gent. Noticeably the majority of the dissenters are male :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Riku
How do I make this a poll :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely the former for me. There are girls who like more aggressive/less "gentlemanly" guys, though, just as there are guys who prefer less "ladylike" girls - ymmv.
Reply 3
Nothing will come out of this thread. Some girls prefer the former; some girls the later.

Result of thread= people have different taste.

Oh would you look at that.
Reply 4
Original post by shadowdweller

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers :P
Reply 5
Definitely sweet,charming and sexy :smile:

But I wouldn't want the guy to be TOO sweet :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Being a gentleman is always a good thing, it is by definition a good thing. Wiki- "A man of good, courteous conduct" However the aspects which comprise being a gentleman are up for debate.
Chivalry is just a nice word for sexism. To be honest I'm rude to men and women. :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by 419
Nothing will come out of this thread. Some girls prefer the former; some girls the later.

Result of thread= people have different taste.

Oh would you look at that.

Your balanced reply just came out which dispels the 'treat em mean, keep em keen myth promoted by game theory and may get guys stop thinking that they have to play head games to get someone to like them!
Sounds obvious to you, but there are many men who have become so desperate they've tried to change themselves into 'bad boys' in their confusion.
Reply 9
Despite the prevailing theory, I actually don't like to be treated like crap. ...
Original post by chappers-94
Chivalry is just a nice word for sexism

How so?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Chivalry is just a nice word for sexism. To be honest I'm rude to men and women. :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:P Being a gent means respecting another man as respecting a woman though :smile: but yeah I understand the subtle distinctions and that chivalrous acts can often have lesser intentions
Gentleman isn't a fixed term.

You can get a gentleman who is like Bill Clinton and you can get one like John Kerry...
Reply 13
Original post by Blob :)
Definitely sweet,charming and sexy :smile:

But I wouldn't want the guy to be TOO sweet :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What in your opinion would be too sweet? This is where I struggle :')
Reply 14
Original post by Riku
Your balanced reply just came out which dispels the 'treat em mean, keep em keen myth promoted by game theory and may get guys stop thinking that they have to play head games to get someone to like them!
Sounds obvious to you, but there are many men who have become so desperate they've tried to change themselves into 'bad boys' in their confusion.

You're right I guess. I've yet to know of any of them that succeeded.

Like the dude that made the thread about not opening the car door for his date. Sound like good flirting opportunity missed to me.

There's no set way to go about things. Girls are humans. Not robots. They have hormones that makes them feel things and act in ways sometimes beyond their controls; like all humans.
(edited 10 years ago)

Lol, why should I treat someone different for having no banana in their underwear? But then again as you're a lesbian you don't understand.

Chivalry is about hetero dating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Lol, why should I treat someone different for having no banana in their underwear? But then again as you're a lesbian you don't understand.

Chivalry is about hetero dating

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not necessarily saying you should, however being nice to women isn't sexist... I'm not sure why that's relevant?

Why is it? And either way, I can still comment on it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by 419
You're right I guess. I've yet to know of any of them that succeeded.

Like the dude that made the thread about not opening the car door for his date. Sound like good flirting opportunity missed to me.

There's no set way to go about things. Girls are humans. Not robots. They have hormones that makes them feel things and act in ways sometimes beyond their controls; like all humans.

Funny you mention that, I was going to say the same thing to him but the thread was taken down! Any idea why?
I'm not necessarily saying you should, however being nice to women isn't sexist... I'm not sure why that's relevant?

Why is it? And either way, I can still comment on it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is there a good reason why men should pay for the first date, and open doors for women?

Lol, how exactly do you do chivalry as a lesbian? There's no man to be chivalrous. Lol, you can comment on it but it's completely irrelevant as the same sex dating world isn't the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Is there a good reason why men should pay for the first date, and open doors for women?

Lol, how exactly do you do chivalry as a lesbian? There's no man to be chivalrous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Politeness? Paying for dates is personal preference really, so the reasoning depends on who's doing it

Personally I think the only sexist thing about chivalry is it's often limited to males. I open doors for people and would pay for dates etc. I'm not sure why that is any different to a man doing it

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending