Turn on thread page Beta

is there any proof/evidence for the soul watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There has been a lot of talk about near death experinces, scientists say it happens as your brian gets less oxygen, and have apprntly manged ot cause them in people they have sedated with out them being clincly dead, how ever there have been reports of people haveing these experinces being able to describe events thats hapened outside of their room in the hospital and seen things on top of shelfs that could not be seem from the ground, there for meaning they must have floated up!

I cants sya whether the latter is true or made up, how ever it is hard to belive. If you had a soul and it was your consious thoughts, if you died you should have no sense of sight, smell touch, sound nothing! As these are all parts of the physical body.

Given this, the after life sounds like hell! Infact i heard something interesting to do with quantum physics. It says that if there are many parralel universes which is what scientists are quite sure of. And we are talking huge numbers of such universes, and you exsists simultaniously in all of them, if you die in one you would still be alive in another, i dont fully understand how it worked but they said that going by the current laws of quantum physics this is totaly possible and would not break any of the laws, you would exsists for iternity, for aslong as time exsists, but you would not be there physically and you would be issolated from everyone else.

In effect you would live an eternity of 'consious nothingness', a fate far worse then anything we know of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *titanium*)
    In effect you would live an eternity of 'consious nothingness', a fate far worse then anything we know of.
    Not really. You're assuming that thought and emotion remain meaningfully. There is a kind of paralysis which totally cuts off the brain from the body, and allows communication only by the movement of an eyelid. The people in this state often report deep peace, and seem to lack certain emotions such as fear or resentment: it seems that these need the body's interaction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mercer)
    Not really. You're assuming that thought and emotion remain meaningfully. There is a kind of paralysis which totally cuts off the brain from the body, and allows communication only by the movement of an eyelid. The people in this state often report deep peace, and seem to lack certain emotions such as fear or resentment: it seems that these need the body's interaction
    If the brain is cut off from the body, how can you communicate with them. You say they can only move an eyelid, so you could be like blink once for yes blink twice for no. But to communicate they actualy have to see or hear you. If they can still see and hear then they are just paralyzed, not cut off from the body.

ReputationRep:
    I think the fact that certain head injuries that have damaged specific areas of the brain
    have been shown to result in a complete change in personality (including skills, abilities, interests, likes/dislikes, general personality), shows that 'who you are' is very much tied into the physical and chemical structure of the brain.

In my opinion, the soul IS the brain; and when the brain dies, so does the person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *titanium*)
    If the brain is cut off from the body, how can you communicate with them. You say they can only move an eyelid, so you could be like blink once for yes blink twice for no. But to communicate they actualy have to see or hear you. If they can still see and hear then they are just paralyzed, not cut off from the body.
    Yeah, they communicate through blinking: one guy even wrote a book!

They can see and hear, but it's known as 'shut-out' syndrome, I believe. If only I kept lecture notes....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mancsmithsfan)
    There is, but you must find it, as this poem I wrote a while ago explains

Beyond dark sand dune and stark desolate waste
    Illuminated by fervent shining star and liquid silver moon
    Yonder, a wanderer searches for what is lost
    A nomad blown across by whispering winds of change

A journey begins over colourless rainbow, down enternal winding road
    Beyond endless towering peak and depthless ocean
    Through angry, fiery hells and calm ethereal heavens
    A search remains, the young hero searches for what is lost

His thoughts churn a twisting, churning meander
    Across an expense the silver snake slithers
    Hope shiver eclipsed by the looming shadow of fear
    Horizons stretch out, endless wasteland.

But the search goes on

The nomad stops to rest, exhausted, under a brewing sky
    They border on the real yet teeter on the surreal
    And his dreams float on delicate zephyrs, up, up, away
    They drift on whim to unseen never-never lands

The hero dreams, real but clouded by uncertainty
    He sees through the opaque, near-fake dark
    with the crystal-clear looking glass of his young mind
    He sees tradgedy and struggle. The search goes on

He dreams of himself somehow leaping yawning gulfs,
    tired of nothing but difference and inequality
    He dreams of wars raging, rampant, nobody wins, lives are lost
    Of collected hopes slayed like a mighty Goliath

Of those who can feast on the delicious delicacies of money
    And those who cannot who are green with envy
    Wealth, which buys it all yet not pricelss peace
    Or rare love

He dreams of people who are born the same
    But are treated enternally different
    Of martyrs for king and country
    And the hate that spreads like a nasty disease

With a stir the fellow wakes
    Shooting through the, a new days watery sunshine
    Bright healthy beam lifts the weary spirits of nightmare
    And vanquishes them, darkness into light

Eventually thje nomad finds what he has sought
    An oasis, a mirage, like an arcadian paradise
    Thirsty he drinks deepfrom the cool blue waters
    He knows that he has found the depths of his own soul

Then it fades into a blur, He knows not whether it twas' real
    But its to be gained, to be earnt, his soul
    Through delightful goodness and horrid bad
    The young man values the lesson learned
    Beautifully written.
    I don't think the existance of a soul can be proved as i don't believe it's physical. It's who you are and not what you are. I agree with idea described here that it needs to be found, and one must be willing to go through a spiritual journey,and acquire knowledge in order to aid their finding of it.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.