Turn on thread page Beta

PYA4 - The post mortem... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Thank god thats over. I actually thought it was alright, 3 pages for each one!:

1) Prejudice reduction - easy as anything and they said one or more, which was good cause only had so much to say for them

2) Relationship breakdown - Duck and Lee easy enough though only so much A02 you can do I reckon.

3) Piaget - was a bit trickier cause of the education angle. I just went through the stages and disequilibrium and that, then took bits like scientists so teachers should let kids learn themselves etc.

All in all though a decent result, and all the Qs were in my 'most likely to be on' list!

ReputationRep:
    i love you beach surf babe, you made my day!!!

and everyone else too

by the sounds of things i have done all the right things

i did the ecological and restoration theories which beach surf babe thinks they wanted to know about!!!

HOWEVER, HOW MANY STUDIES DID PEOPLE MENTION IN EACH ESSAY

for relationships i did Lee, Duck, Ducks risck factors, Eysenck - jealousy can cause breakdown in relationships, and cultural factors that Ingoldsby claims divorce and infertility linked etc..

did the basics for the other 2 essays

about 6-7 per essay on average

is this normal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winterblue)
    I wrote about the same amount. Does Baron and Bell's negative affect escape theory and the routine activity theory count as research?
    Hmm I don't think the theories are, but I just went on the aqa site, for the mark scheme for environmental stressors, and it says research evidence is regarded as a02!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hangover_cure)
    i love you beach surf babe, you made my day!!!

and everyone else too

by the sounds of things i have done all the right things

i did the ecological and restoration theories which beach surf babe thinks they wanted to know about!!!

for relationships i did Lee, Duck, Ducks risck factors, Eysenck - jealousy can cause breakdown in relationships, and cultural factors that Ingoldsby claims divorce and infertility linked etc..

did the basics for the other 2 essays

about 6-7 per essay on average

is this normal
    OMG you included so much for relationships, I thinking should I include duck's risk factors or not, because they asked for two explanations so I didn't I should have arghh!!!

Btw are you saying you wrote 6-7 pages for one essay!?!!?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxnizxx)
    OMG you included so much for relationships, I thinking should I include duck's risk factors or not, because they asked for two explanations so I didn't I should have arghh!!!

Btw are you saying you wrote 6-7 pages for one essay!?!!?!?!?
    wot? i did Lee and Duck and thats it!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    NOOOOOOO way i could never do that

i only mentioned on average 6-7 studies per essay

i did 2 and half pages roughly on each one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .[s)
    fluff[/s].]Well I think I may be the first one back from the exam and I'm actually really relieved! All of the topics i was hoping for came up, Environmental Stressors and Aggression, Theories of the Function of Sleep and Gender development.

For environmental stressors ; Baron and Bell's affect escape hypothesis, Anderson, commentary followed by O'Neal and Geen and Evans on noise and aggression

Theories of the function of sleep ; Webb and Meddis for evolutionary theory, Oswald and Horne for REM and SWS sleep

Gender Development ; Kohlberg,Martin and Halverson and Bem.

Anyone else as relieved as I am? :confused:
    I agree.. was a nice exam compared to what i thought it was going to be. Was really worried was going to be on media into aggression and peer+parent relationship in adolescence just because of my bad luck, so was v relieved when these questions came up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate29987)
    Help, anyone who did piaget. Did anyone think the question was ambigious. To me it seemed to suggest that you outline the theory and then eval the applications but then i thought it could be all applications. Basically I rushed and did both in less detail than i could have but my evaluation is atleast right. some people i know did all application and others treated it as a split part. What did others here do?
    Ahh I did just Piaget's theory of cognitive development i.e assimilation/accomodation/schemas & sensori motor, pre operational, concrete operational and formal operational and the evaluated just HIS application , i.e discovery learning and readiness. Although I kept reading it to make sure because I would have expected both applications but I swear it said Piaget's theory and HIS applications so I decided I couldn't do Vygotsky even though I wanted to...although some of my friends did do Vygotsky too. I'm pretty sure it wasn't just the applications though because they definitely said 'thoery of cognitive development' but yeah I agree, it would have been clearer if they'd done it as a two part question.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I think I wrote about 8 pages overall!! But then its quality they want not quantity- my hand writing is quite small so I'm not worried. As long as you do the whole breadth/depth thing and include AO1 AND 2, its fine!! Stop worrying, there is nothing you can do now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hangover_cure)
    I only did Duck and Lee cause it said two in the Q, to be fair I didn't know these other ones you mention either lol. I think I did enough though, took 25 mins for me to cover them and got 3 pages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beach_surf_babe)
    I think I wrote about 8 pages overall!! But then its quality they want not quantity- my hand writing is quite small so I'm not worried. As long as you do the whole breadth/depth thing and include AO1 AND 2, its fine!! Stop worrying, there is nothing you can do now.
    my head is singing the worry song

'worry worry worry, must owrry worry worry, dont think about anything just owrry worry worry' and its on loop :eek:

but i did 8 pages too but i have medium to biggish writing IMO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slober)
    wot? i did Lee and Duck and thats it!!!!!!!!
    So did I , don't worry I think most people did anyway!! They only asked for two, NOT two or more so including risk factors, would have been 3 right?

I think we're fine, don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoea85)
    Ahh I did just Piaget's theory of cognitive development i.e assimilation/accomodation/schemas & sensori motor, pre operational, concrete operational and formal operational and the evaluated just HIS application , although I kept reading it to make sure because I would have expected both applications but I swear it said Piaget's theory and HIS applications so I decided I couldn't do Vygotsky even though I wanted to...although some of my friends did do Vygotsky too.
    Yeah it was hard wasn't it. I just outlined the whole theory and then evaluated with like 'this bit of Piaget's theory has been used in teaching where.......However, some argue against this......' It was annoying cause I had loads of theory lined up for bashing each individual stage, but was limited to bashing only the applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxnizxx)
    So did I , don't worry I think most people did anyway!! They only asked for two, NOT two or more so including risk factors, would have been 3 right?

I think we're fine, don't worry!
    Yup! Eeee dead happy now though, its a weight off, unit 5 is small by comparison

ReputationRep:
    I did Lee and Duck's models but used risk factors as a sort of evaluation - saying that we need to take into account lots of different factors.

Environmental stressors - fine on A01 - did noise - Cohen, Donnerstein and Wilson, overcrowding, and temperature - Baron and Bell, Baron and Ransberger. Struggled a little with A02 but just rambled on!

Sleep - did protection theory and restoration theory (we had learnt these two and conservation), felt this was my strongest.

However, I was a little annoyed as these weren't my strongest areas, I found biological rhythms easy to remember - Aschoff and Wever's cave studies, ****ftwork etc. And also I liked attraction and formation of relationships.

Overall, exam was fine! Just got the long wait now til results day!
    Oh and PYA5, but I'm giving myself the day off

Sarah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nickb123)
    Yup! Eeee dead happy now though, its a weight off, unit 5 is small by comparison
    ^ I know!! thank god, got a few bits to do for that and then I'm sorted,

However I got bloody exams left, right and centre!! So gotta be revising for like 3 other modules at the same time!!:mad:

ReputationRep:
    I'm pleased - all 3 questions i thought would come up came up! I just regurgutated the text book i learnt off by heart and crammed everything in that I could think of. I think my a02 wasnt too great though and my question 15 wasnt as good as it could have been. Im just glad its over. Im nackered! Got to go and revise business for thursday now, then get down to PYA5! *prays schizo comes up* well done guys! its oveerrrr!!

I can now clear up all my notes and take down my posters from my wall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazarina88)
    I did Lee and Duck's models but used risk factors as a sort of evaluation - saying that we need to take into account lots of different factors.

Environmental stressors - fine on A01 - did noise - Cohen, Donnerstein and Wilson, overcrowding, and temperature - Baron and Bell, Baron and Ransberger. Struggled a little with A02 but just rambled on!
    Argh everyone mentioning risk factors geting me worried lol

I talked about a bit on understudied relationships - internet, how the don't explain how they can break up as a bit on evaluation. I only wrote about 2 and a bit pages on this though! Think that was my weakest essay!

ReputationRep:
    research evidence is regarded as a02!:biggrin:
    phew, i was worried i didn't manage to get enough AO2 in.

Environmental stressors - Baron and Bell, Cohen and Felson, Anderson, Kenrick and Macfarlane, Geen and O'Neal and Evans et al

Sleep - Webb, Meddis, Oswald, Horne

Gender - Kohlberg, Martin and Halverson, Bem

ReputationRep:
    Study wise I got:
    Prejudice reduction - Allport, Stouffer, Deutsch and Collins, Sherif, Deaux, Weiner, Elliot.
    Breakdown - Duck, Lee (lol, I should have put a name in for the cultural bias bit).
    Cog development - Piaget, Brainerd, Modgil, McGarrigle and Donaldson.

So didn't take that much really considering most were just dropped in for cog development.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.