The Student Room Group

Has anyone done a Mickey Mouse degree they don't regret?

This is such a tsr thread haha- but I was just thinking, has anyone, or do they know anyone, who did surf studies, David beckham studies (know it wasn't real but you get the idea), football studies, ba Harry potter with pop music.. and it was entirely the right choice for them and led to the future they wanted?

I do NOT mean a vocational qualification (hairdressing, ba fashion journalism leading to the person becoming a fashion journalist). I mean, is there an intelligent person out there who doesn't regret taking ba football studies? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Well this September I will be studying Politics and Sociology. Sociology is seen as a doss subject but it really isn't, it is the type of subject that opens up your mind to society and the world around us. Politics and Sociology are subjects that affect our lives even though we don't realise it.

So am I proud? Yes!
Reply 2
Original post by Dee Leigh
Well this September I will be studying Politics and Sociology. Sociology is seen as a doss subject but it really isn't, it is the type of subject that opens up your mind to society and the world around us. Politics and Sociology are subjects that affect our lives even though we don't realise it.

So am I proud? Yes!

(so you haven't done it yet, and so don't know if you've regretted it?)
Reply 3
No I do not think, top employers are not stupid

Unis are ought to be ashamed of themselves for offering MM courses like risk or sex whatever
Reply 4
Dee Leigh, politics and sociology is not a doss subject. Neither is any arts degree (i know pol and soc isnt a BA). I'm not talking about arts degrees, I'm talking about something like surf studies.. something really niche that isnt vocational. I'll just go on ucas and look for some more examples. And yes quady you get the idea- grads who've had to develop a career, not current students. I'm just curious if there's anyone on here who thinks their Mickey Mouse degree enhanced their life- not being disparaging, just curious!
Original post by Quady
(so you haven't done it yet, and so don't know if you've regretted it?)

Well I have just completed a foundation in social science so I have had to study sociological modules for the course. I am happy to pursue the subject even further and I cannot see myself regretting it.
Reply 6
YES boitzkrieg- that's the kind of thing I mean- something like ba sex in popular culture. Now, I'm sure that's really interesting. Is there anyone who's glad they did something so specific, at a low-grade institution, instead of say politics? I'm curious to hear from intelligent people who actually do these degrees!
Original post by mulberry1
Dee Leigh, politics and sociology is not a doss subject. Neither is any arts degree (i know pol and soc isnt a BA). I'm not talking about arts degrees, I'm talking about something like surf studies.. something really niche that isnt vocational. I'll just go on ucas and look for some more examples. And yes quady you get the idea- grads who've had to develop a career, not current students. I'm just curious if there's anyone on here who thinks their Mickey Mouse degree enhanced their life- not being disparaging, just curious!

Yeah I get what you are saying but some people say Pol and Soc are pointless and doss subjects, which is annoying, because degree will be useful for Law, PR or grad schemes.

And yeah, Politics and Sociology are BA subjects.
Reply 8
Celebrity journalism, crafts management :smile:
Reply 9
Yeah I get what you are saying but some people say Pol and Soc are pointless and doss subjects, which is annoying, because degree will be useful for Law, PR or grad schemes.

And yeah, Politics and Sociology are BA subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends, some are BSc
Reply 10
Yep, sure do regret taking my Mickey Mouse degree......****** Chemistry from the city of spires.

No idea what you can do with Chemistry apart from being a lab rat with no authority. Should have done a more practical degree like Computer Science
Original post by risteard
Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends, some are BSc

My degree is a BA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
My degree is a BA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mmmn, that must be dependent on how u or your teachers view social sciences.
Reply 13
Well I have just completed a foundation in social science so I have had to study sociological modules for the course. I am happy to pursue the subject even further and I cannot see myself regretting it.

You're missing the point of this thread. Firstly, that subject is nowhere close to what the OP is talking about. Secondly, you haven't done it so how can you possibly comment on retrospective regret?!

Sigh...
Reply 14
Original post by M1011
You're missing the point of this thread. Firstly, that subject is nowhere close to what the OP is talking about. Secondly, you haven't done it so how can you possibly comment on retrospective regret?!

Sigh...

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are a lot of 'silly degrees' out there sociology isnt one of them - which you are not saying it is. With regards to david beckham studies that was probably something taught as part of a cultural studies degree, a multi discipline subject that came out of sociology, philosophy and other subjects in the 60s.....

Whether you see subjects as mickey mouse subjects depends on what you see the role of education as, the meaning of subjects is often decided by those who view areas such business studies as worthwhile. ...
Reply 15
Posted from TSR Mobile

There are a lot of 'silly degrees' out there sociology isnt one of them - which you are not saying it is. With regards to david beckham studies that was probably something taught as part of a cultural studies degree, a multi discipline subject that came out of sociology, philosophy and other subjects in the 60s.....

Whether you see subjects as mickey mouse subjects depends on what you see the role of education as, the meaning of subjects is often decided by those who view areas such business studies as worthwhile. ...

Not entirely sure why I'm quoted on this, but I think we're in agreement that Sociology and David Beckham Studies are not in the same division.

Not sure I fully understand your final subject, are you suggesting business studies is or isn't worthwhile? Or that it is indeed in the eye of the beholder? On par with DB Studies, Sociology or different? All very confusing!
Reply 16
Original post by M1011
Not entirely sure why I'm quoted on this, but I think we're in agreement that Sociology and David Beckham Studies are not in the same division.

Not sure I fully understand your final subject, are you suggesting business studies is or isn't worthwhile? Or that it is indeed in the eye of the beholder? On par with DB Studies, Sociology or different? All very confusing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, bit tired and therefore unclear. What I am suggesting is that seemingly individual value judgements are shaped by opinions outside of us so what might be considered a mickey mouse subject by those who have the power to make their definition stick tends to become the dominant position, so...daily mail says db studies is mickey mouse then the subject becomes mickey mouse despite probably containing elements of subjects that they do respect.

From a personal perspective a mickey mouse subject is one which adds nothing to our understanding of either the social or natural world, or one without a clear episteme of it's own - business studies is one of these and is often confused with economics....
Reply 17
Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, bit tired and therefore unclear. What I am suggesting is that seemingly individual value judgements are shaped by opinions outside of us so what might be considered a mickey mouse subject by those who have the power to make their definition stick tends to become the dominant position, so...daily mail says db studies is mickey mouse then the subject becomes mickey mouse despite probably containing elements of subjects that they do respect.

From a personal perspective a mickey mouse subject is one which adds nothing to our understanding of either the social or natural world, or one without a clear episteme of it's own - business studies is one of these and is often confused with economics....

Business adds no understanding? Seems pretty relevant to me! Not bad job prospects either, although everything is relative of course.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by M1011
Business adds no understanding? Seems pretty relevant to me! Not bad job prospects either, although everything is relative of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How does the study of business add anything to our understanding of anything? What are it's great unanswered questions? Job prospects? I dont think choosing to study a subject should 'naturally' have anything to do with job prospects, such discourses are relatively new and from my perspective, corrosive.
Reply 19
How does the study of business add anything to our understanding of anything? What are it's great unanswered questions?

I guess I'd answer in two ways;

First off, what subject does 'add to our understanding of anything' or help with the 'great unanswered questions' at undergraduate level? Precisely none as far as I'm aware. You're taught a bachelors, it's not about making breakthroughs! If you want to do that, you're surely looking at higher level qualifications (PHDs etc)?

Secondly, while I'm not advocating it above anything else necessarily, the world that we all live in does revolve around 'business'. We're subject to it constantly everyday, so I imagine at a personal level it does add to the individuals understanding of what's going on around them.

Job prospects? I dont think choosing to study a subject should 'naturally' have anything to do with job prospects, such discourses are relatively new and from my perspective, corrosive.

Each to their own, but I entirely disagree.

For most people, the study of a degree is a 3-4 year commitment whereas your career will envelop 40+ years of your life. Not to mention that we live in tough times where jobs are hard to come by. The days of "oh you have a degree, here's a job" are long gone, so graduates need to be more forward thinking about their career.

Quick Reply

Latest