The Student Room Group

Feynmann diagram for strong interaction

As I expect most A Level Physicists are, there is good coverage in the course of Feynmann for weak interactions. This stuff is really an undergraduate question:

I am not able to draw/find/understand Feynmann diagrams for strong interactions between composite particles (nucleons etc.)

I understand the Feymann for a quark's colour change, ie showing how the colour charged particles (quarks and gluons) interact.

But for example, I came across this interaction:
a proton and neutron approach, a minus pion is exchanged, and then proton becomes netron and neutron becomes proton. In quark terms, udd becomes uud whilst uud becomes udd. So surely if quark flavour changes (irrespective of whether colour does), then surely this must be a weak interaction? To be weak I would have thought that 2 W bosons of appropriate charge are exchanged?

So if someone could give a thorough explanation as to why this is strong, that would be most appreciated.
Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!

Quick Reply

Latest