A silly question about gowns Watch

This discussion is closed.
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Hi
I was just looking on one of the gowns websites and it says "All undergraduate gowns are cut to a standard size.".

I'm quite a small person, im about 5'2 and im a size 8, and Im a bit worried i am going to drown in one of these gowns.. i cant see how me and some big strapping rugby player man are going to be able to wear the same "standard" size

does anywhere sell smaller ones, or are they pretty easy to alter and make smaller? or are they not that big anyway?

i can sew a bit but im slightly cack- handed at it, so if its super complicated id think about paying to have it altered rather than botching up my gown..

thanks!
rosie
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by crana)
Hi
I was just looking on one of the gowns websites and it says "All undergraduate gowns are cut to a standard size.".

I'm quite a small person, im about 5'2 and im a size 8, and Im a bit worried i am going to drown in one of these gowns.. i cant see how me and some big strapping rugby player man are going to be able to wear the same "standard" size

does anywhere sell smaller ones, or are they pretty easy to alter and make smaller? or are they not that big anyway?

i can sew a bit but im slightly cack- handed at it, so if its super complicated id think about paying to have it altered rather than botching up my gown..

thanks!
rosie

Eat some fatty foods between now and then and it should be a slightly more cosy fit!

crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
Eat some fatty foods between now and then and it should be a slightly more cosy fit!

it'd be nice if that would make me taller as well, though!

rosie-the-small
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Don't worry, they're fine. It would be absolutely impossible to take one in.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah, adjusting them would be an absolute nightmare. It'll be big on you, but it is for lots of people. Mine just about fits (I'm 5'8) but lots of the girls are smaller and have it hanging off their shoulders. You won't be the only one, don't worry!
Suzy_vet
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
Is there a sort of 'matriculation' ceremony thing? A friend went to oxford and he had one, and he had to wear his gown and say somehting in latin and get his photo taken.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Suzy_vet)
Is there a sort of 'matriculation' ceremony thing? A friend went to oxford and he had one, and he had to wear his gown and say somehting in latin and get his photo taken.

Yeah, they don't take it as seriously in Cambridge:in matriculation you just sign the book, but you do have a photo in your gowns and then there's a matriculation dinner where you all get REALLy drunk (fellows included)
oldthrashbarg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
then there's a matriculation dinner where you all get REALLy drunk (fellows included)
Ah..so all the interviews and exams weren't for nothing.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Suzy_vet)
Is there a sort of 'matriculation' ceremony thing?
Yeah, I went straight down to burger king after the matric photo with a group of people, was fairly surreal wandering around town in full suit and gown etc.

Oh and my gown just about fits me, it's a bit on the small side I think, each of the shops seems to sell slightly different ways of making them. Mine has a fairly rigid bit between my shoulder blades and it pissess me off for the first half hour of wearing it.

Alaric.
acidbubble
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hello, do we only need gowns when we graduate?
house badger
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Is this post just about Cambridge? Everyone's replied about Cam but the question didn't actually say.
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by house badger)
Is this post just about Cambridge? Everyone's replied about Cam but the question didn't actually say.
sorry
i did mean cambridge yes
rosie
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by keithy)
hello, do we only need gowns when we graduate?
At Cambridge you need them for matriculation (in Freshers' week), although you can borrow them from your college parents or something if you don't want to buy one. You also wear them to formal hall quite often, although at some colleges this isn't compulsory.

Matric dinner was the one formal I've been to where we didn't get pissed - we were sat with all the fellows and when someone pennied someone our clinical DoS had a go at them for it. We got pleasantly tipsy but saved the proper getting hammered for afterwards.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
At Cambridge you need them for matriculation (in Freshers' week), although you can borrow them from your college parents or something if you don't want to buy one. You also wear them to formal hall quite often, although at some colleges this isn't compulsory.

Matric dinner was the one formal I've been to where we didn't get pissed - we were sat with all the fellows and when someone pennied someone our clinical DoS had a go at them for it. We got pleasantly tipsy but saved the proper getting hammered for afterwards.

Awwww, you have boring fellows... ours joined us in happy wastedness
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Awwww, you have boring fellows... ours joined us in happy wastedness
They don't serve you enough alcohol to get you wasted at matric/halfway hall... you get a glass of sherry, then three or four glasses of wine at dinner and then a glass of port. Halfway hall wasn't too bad because I was on top table so they kept topping my wine glass up during dinner, they wouldn't usually I'm sure.

Now natsci dinner is another story entirely...

Alaric.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
They don't serve you enough alcohol to get you wasted at matric/halfway hall... you get a glass of sherry, then three or four glasses of wine at dinner and then a glass of port. Halfway hall wasn't too bad because I was on top table so they kept topping my wine glass up during dinner, they wouldn't usually I'm sure.

Now natsci dinner is another story entirely...

Alaric.
We were in the small hall for matric, which sucked a bit, but it means we'll be in the main hall for halfway and matric - don't know about top table though.

And I saw the carnage that followed NatSci dinner, so I know what you mean, although boatie dinner still has to be the worst (drunken boaties falling into my staircase from the Gatehouse making lots of noise at 1am :mad: )
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.83%
Excited (144)
8.84%
Worried (295)
18.11%
Terrified (367)
22.53%
Meh (149)
9.15%
Confused (35)
2.15%