Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My maths teacher, (head of maths) told us that if we aren't sure and we write two different workings out/answers, the examiner will give you marks for the correct one and will ignore the incorrect? Apparently this is how it works for all the edexcel papers? So you can attempt each question as many times you like and only the correct one will get marked up?

Is this true, does everybody else know this?

ReputationRep:
    i will usually do a question and if its wrong just put a faint line through it so its still readable, i think examiners mark it, not sure whether you would get full marks though

ReputationRep:
    i dont think they would ( but i do hope ), my teacher told us that examiner wouldnt have time to look for the correct answer/working unless you've marked it somehow

khalid

ReputationRep:
    im not so sure. i do edexcel chemistry and my teacher is an examiner. anyway if the question asks for two things but you give three, they always take the first two in your list.

well i dont think maths will be any different. they mark the one that wasnt crossed out. or the first working out that you did.

ReputationRep:
    Thats a good question. I suppose it depends solely on what person marks it and how generous they are. One of my teachers marks a schools papers and says if they aren't sure they are to ring the exam board and check. I would rely on ur teachers suggestions, because im sure they're right.

ReputationRep:
    Like has just been said, if they ask for 2 things, giving 4 things of which 2 are correct will definitely not get you 2 marks.
    Also in exam you can't just give 2 possible answers and expect them to mark the one which is correct and ignore the other one. They have guidelines probably like take the 1st given answer I would have thought

ReputationRep:
    For a module such as statistics using tables and rounding usually they have a range of answers so they want, for example 4.287 they will accept 4.3

Also they award a lot of follow through marks so if you get part a) wrong and it affects the rest of the question you get the marks if your working in the other parts was correct.

But i think you probably have to make it clear what your final answer is and how you got it, they wouldn't look at three different possibilities.

ReputationRep:
    The edexcel marking guidelines state that if there is no work (i.e. all crossed out), then no marks are given.

If there are 2 sets of working, one of which is crossed out, mark the one that isn't crossed out.

If there are 2 sets of working, mark both and score the one with higher marksed.

Or al least that's what I remember reading.....will look for the document

(Original post by browser)
    The edexcel marking guidelines state that if there is no work (i.e. all crossed out), then no marks are given.

If there are 2 sets of working, one of which is crossed out, mark the one that isn't crossed out.

If there are 2 sets of working, mark both and score the one with higher marksed.

Or al least that's what I remember reading.....will look for the document
    This is correct. There is a sheet distributed with the marking scheme called "Guidance for Examiners" and it says that if there are two answers not crossed out then you mark both and give the one that offers most marks. Also, any incorrect working after a correct answer is ignored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxrachxx)
    Also they award a lot of follow through marks so if you get part a) wrong and it affects the rest of the question you get the marks if your working in the other parts was correct.
    This is not true, there are very few follow through marks are a-level, as my teacher points out when you get up to FP2 and FP3 most of the examiners can't even mark with out a text book open so they don't work out where you got your wrong answer from.

There are however alot of show that questions for part one, so you can use their answer for the rest of the question even if you can't get to it!

Em xx

ReputationRep:
    my teacher encouraged us to never cross anything out because he goes the examiners are mena luk for correct answers, and i did just that on graph questions and instead of 2 graphs i drew 4 and im 100% sure i got credit for that question because of the final mark i got for c2.

ReputationRep:
    Have you got a link to what this 'Guidance for Examiners' page looks like? Edexcel website is giving me a headache!

I scan it in for you in a couple of hours if you want.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    But will you really have time to essentially do the exam twice? If you're not confident enough to know you've got it right first time, you probably won't.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you wont have to do every question twice Juno, slightly pessimistic i'd say :p:

I know in my mechs exam, i wrote two answers down, I know one is correct and the other wrong. Just hope i'll be getting full marks for it then

...and yeah, thatd be great Lusus, save me ripping my hair out trying to negotiate through the edexcel site.

ReputationRep:
    this seems like such a ridiculous mark scheme. i mean, it's just silly. no wonder people are complaining that a levels are getting easier. might as well just write down every possible answer!! and i doubt that the markers would bother phoning the exam board very much. they get paid per paper so the quicker they mark them the more they get per hour! and i doubt that that many examiners would be willing to go searching through pages of working to look for a possible answer. and for any graph sketching questions, just colour the whole thing in, you must have drawn the right graph somewhere . . .

ReputationRep:
    thats got to be a load of crap

I am currently looking for the sheet. I am certain it came with the official mark scheme for S2 JUNE 05 if anybody else has a copy they could help me with.

I knew I had it somewhere See the attachment. Number 7 is the relevant one.
    Attached Images

I hope this cleared it up?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2006

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.