Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the effects of long term no sleeping? When do the hallucinations start? It's supposed to be about 36 hours of no sleep I think.

ReputationRep:
    Death. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    Does anyone know the effects of long term no sleeping? When do the hallucinations start? It's supposed to be about 36 hours of no sleep I think.
    wow iv really got to try that

ReputationRep:
    I've not got insomnia, I just want to stay awake for ages. I woke up a little before 6.00 a.m yesterday and haven't slept since. I'm just gonna weight till about 9.00 p.m this evening. That should cover a little over 36 hours. Then I must get sleep as I have an A2 General Studies exam tommorrow. Problem is my brain isn't fullly functional now so it's a lot easier to ask for help than to try and process the mass amounts of information on the internet and break it down in my mind into something that I can understand. I just wanted to see if I can experience hallucinations. If I don't do it this time I'll weight till the summer holidays and try again when I don't have the fear of exams and coming back for my A2 Env.Sci. that I'm hoping don't really matter that much as I want to got to Uni in September and leave A-Levels behind. Problem is today is gonna be pretty boring as I can't play on action games or brain games as I won't be able to concentrate. Tried one earlier and my reactions were so slow I just loogged off.

ReputationRep:
    36 hours? A bit more than that, I'd say...

Heh, I just did a google search and found this:
    How little sleep do you have to have before you start seeing things?
    From experience, about 40-48 hours, although those could've just been acid flashbacks.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Yea, 36 hours isnt really that much and most humans are made to go this sort of length without sleep and still be able to function (albeight a bit lethargically). You'd need to look at some more extreme time lengths before you become really affected. Somewhere around the 50 hour mark you will begin to have lapses where reality becomes a bit more lucid. This can take the form of hallucinations or believing something you know can't be true such as someone or something is where it can't be.

ReputationRep:
    I'v just revised the effects of sleep deprivation for my psychology exam.
    Total sleep deprivation will result in increased aggression after around 3 days and hillucinations will start after around 5 days IN SOME PEOPLE, there has been a case of a 17 year old american student staying awake for 11 days and suffering no ill psychological effects.

But during sleep you have what is called REM and SWS, REM is said to restore your brain and neurotransmitters and SWS (slow wave sleep) is for body restoration and restores all the proteins you've lost during the day, in theory if you don't got to sleep for 36 hours you'll feel pretty shocking at the end of it...

ReputationRep:
    u should have seent hat episode of House a few weeks back - world record is 10 days without sleep before death - noone has ever made it to eleven - i think you should consider giving it a serious shot - that way unless u have an actual problem u will fall asleep before u reaqch the eleventh day and if u dont fall asleep then u do have a problem but hey u'll be dead so it won't matter

lol just kidding - go see your doc if u cant sleep

but the elven days bit is true

ReputationRep:
    Incorrect. The world record is eleven days without sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mudman)
    Death. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia
    OMG :eek: Thanks for that nightmare!!
    I'm already a bit of a hypocondriac and now I have to be worried I'm gonna stop sleeping!! achhhhh noooooo

Urgh now I'm scared, I keep not being able to sleep just for no reason... I'm-going-to-die

arrrghhhhh

:p:

ReputationRep:
    u should have seent hat episode of House a few weeks back - world record is 10 days without sleep before death - noone has ever made it to eleven - i think you should consider giving it a serious shot - that way unless u have an actual problem u will fall asleep before u reaqch the eleventh day and if u dont fall asleep then u do have a problem but hey u'll be dead so it won't matter
    i beg to differ

"In 1965 17 year old American Student Randy Gardner, managed to stay awake for an astonishing 260 hours (11days) He displayed no psychotic symptoms during his epic period of wakefulness, and he appeared perfectly normal after a lenghty sleep"

However, after 72 hours of sleep deprivation it is impossible to prevent your body from having short episodes of microsleep while you are awake.

ReputationRep:
    OMG :eek: Thanks for that nightmare!!
    I'm already a bit of a hypocondriac and now I have to be worried I'm gonna stop sleeping!! achhhhh noooooo

Urgh now I'm scared, I keep not being able to sleep just for no reason... I'm-going-to-die

arrrghhhhh
    I wouldn't worry, it's an extremely rare inherited disease, i don't think you're going to die any time soon

ReputationRep:
    Well thanks. Erm.. I guess I'm just gonna do it now anyway and sleep tonight for exam tommorow then I'll see what happens when I try it during the hols. Mabye I should keep a diary:

Hour 42 of no sleep : Saw a cow flying past the window on a bicycle built for 2.
    Hour 72 of no sleep : Swore I had wings and broke my leg jumping off a telephone box.

i tried staying up for 36 hours once...it was hilarious..and on top of that i was drinking red bull....apparently i went crazy and just started laughing at anything i saw....i shall never do that again.....ive gotta admit though it was quite funny seeing my step dad and just laughing in his face as i dont even speak to him lol .

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to? I suffer from insomnia, it really aint that great...so why give up sleeping?

ReputationRep:
    I have once managed to stay awake close to 50 hours and I have to say it was quite interesting. Didn't see graphic hallucinations but did feel very paranoid and was sure there were people looking for me. These effects came after about 40 hours and apparently after 50 hours you may begin to see proper hallucinations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    I've not got insomnia, I just want to stay awake for ages. I woke up a little before 6.00 a.m yesterday and haven't slept since. I'm just gonna weight till about 9.00 p.m this evening.
    Watch South Korea v Togo on BBC1 at 2pm - that'll send you to sleep, kiddo.

ReputationRep:
    I only watch England matches.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of pure curiosity, where abouts in Sheffield so you live?

ReputationRep:
    Aston.We vote for the Rotherham council, but our postcode and telphone area code and some other stuff are all under Sheffield, It's weird :confused:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 13, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.