The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you doing BUS4 too? I did coursework so Im not doing BUS5W but Im doing BUS4 thursday xx
Reply 2
Yeah i need soem help on that too, what do we revise? what areas?
Reply 3
i just did a past paper for 5W! its really hard and time consuming! A few tips - just write quickly and makesure you do lots of analysing and evaluation, you get most of your marks from this! The only way you can really revise this is practice, its all about technique. Remeber the report has a format of:

To:
Date:
Title:

1.0 Strengths...........or whatever it asks!
1.1 paragraph

etc!

Good luck! If anyone has anymore tips of has any websites with help please post them!
Reply 4
Im not doing BUS5 as I did coursework, but my girlfriend is doing it and she is finding it really difficult.
With regards to unit 4 on Thursday can anyone explain Net Present Value and discounted cash flow?
I've been staring at it for hours and just cant get my head around it.
Thanks.

Or, more importantly, does anyone know (from past papers etc) if you need to know this. DO you think you can get away with knowing the Avergae rate of return and payback method explicitly?
Reply 5
Chiraag
Yeah i need soem help on that too, what do we revise? what areas?

If your talking about unit 4 it's:
Marketing, Accounting and Finance, People in Organisation and Operations Management.
This inludes investment appraisals, market analysis, communication and production methods, stuff like that.
If you want the full list of things you need to know, then let me know.
Reply 6
Achilles13
Im not doing BUS5 as I did coursework, but my girlfriend is doing it and she is finding it really difficult.
With regards to unit 4 on Thursday can anyone explain Net Present Value and discounted cash flow?
I've been staring at it for hours and just cant get my head around it.
Thanks.

Or, more importantly, does anyone know (from past papers etc) if you need to know this. DO you think you can get away with knowing the Avergae rate of return and payback method explicitly?

I would defo learn NPV, ARR and payback. I've gone through past business papers and I've realised in the finance questions in the past few years theyve concentrated on ratios and havent asked investment apprasial for ages.

Discounted cash flow is the time value of money, i.e. £5 given to you now will be worth more now than in a year - this is mostly due to opportunity cost, if you had the £5 now you could put it in an account get interest (LOL not much tho!!) or due to the fact that having £5 now is a certaincy rather than risking getting the £5 in a year. The book explains it as the opposite of interest rates. So NPV shows how much that £5 would be worth in however many years, e.g. 5 years compared to how much it is worth now. Every year from this year till 5 years time has a discounting factor, a % which the money decreases (interest rates is an increase in that %) so it shows the value of the money in 5 years time (being less due to the discounting factor) compared to now. The NPV is the amount its worth now minus the amount its worth in 5 years time.

Look at the june 2002 paper question 2 and the markscheme. I found looking through this and working out how they got the answer hellped alot.

Does that make sense? It took me ages to get my head around it, and I still don't know if thats right but thats what ive understood it to be. Its very hard to explain.
Reply 7
Unit 5 is all about whether you are a good writer or not to be honest.
There isnt too much specific revision to do, expecially with the choice of essay questions you get, its not like unit 4 where the specification should be learned thoroughly.
like its been said above, for unit 5 ensure you do a long evaluation for the essay Q's as this is where you get your marks. and remember if you run out of time just bullet point your answers n write a full evaluation, dont do the bulk of the exam without an eval.
similarly wit the report, make the most of the recommendation section, and findings, keep all others brief, limit the into for example to a couple of sentences at the most simply rephrashing the question and what you are going to do.
unit 5 doesnt scare me too much, unit 4 does though!
Reply 8
Em444
I would defo learn NPV, ARR and payback. I've gone through past business papers and I've realised in the finance questions in the past few years theyve concentrated on ratios and havent asked investment apprasial for ages.

Discounted cash flow is the time value of money, i.e. £5 given to you now will be worth more now than in a year - this is mostly due to opportunity cost, if you had the £5 now you could put it in an account get interest (LOL not much tho!!) or due to the fact that having £5 now is a certaincy rather than risking getting the £5 in a year. The book explains it as the opposite of interest rates. So NPV shows how much that £5 would be worth in however many years, e.g. 5 years compared to how much it is worth now. Every year from this year till 5 years time has a discounting factor, a % which the money decreases (interest rates is an increase in that %) so it shows the value of the money in 5 years time (being less due to the discounting factor) compared to now. The NPV is the amount its worth now minus the amount its worth in 5 years time.

Look at the june 2002 paper question 2 and the markscheme. I found looking through this and working out how they got the answer hellped alot.

Does that make sense? It took me ages to get my head around it, and I still don't know if thats right but thats what ive understood it to be. Its very hard to explain.

Yeah that does help, thanks. I was hoping it would be enough to learn ARR and payback and leave NVP, but i supose i had better learn it.
thanks again.
Reply 9
what is unit 5 about, what do we revise?!
Reply 10
go on the AQA website, go on qualifications, then business studies, then specification, go to unit 5 and thats what needs revising
Reply 11
for unit 5 in the spec it comes up ask people and operations management which is a part of what could come up in the paper, so you dont just revise that, you need to all of business really and i think in this paper you can really blag it an gain sum marks.
Reply 12
Thanks thats all really useful. I did unit 4 in jan, it wasn't too bad. I did the coursework too but our marks were put down by 10 marks so I thought I would try to do better in 5W but I'm not sure it was a good idea. Good luck to every one else. Annie xxx.
Gonna do a practice paper now for 5W. I've done one already but didn't time myself.
We have a report and essay paper to do - definately a test of how well you can write an essay. Good luck :biggrin: Last minute tip I'd say is to do *lots* of analysis and evaluation - you get more marks for that than anything, and applying things to business concepts is important.
Reply 15
Ive jus come back from that exam!! :frown: i really dont feel satisfied - i ran out of time due to planning!! i could have written more..i h8 dam exams, they can never show a students true ability!!
Reply 16
the exam was ok, i did the essay on coca cola! Had loads to say! However we needed more time and i agree that it doesnt show a students real knowledge
Reply 17
I did the one about China - i dont think i need well on that! God im gonna have 2 revise alot for unit 6
Reply 18
Is paper 6 a synoptic paper on everything or just external influences and objectives and strategy?
Or does it depend on if you did coursework for unit 5?
Any one know?
Thanks.
Reply 19
Paper 6 is just on external influences and objectives and strategies - i didnt do coursework

I did Unit 5 today. I chose to do the chocolate essay. The report was ok - i actually managed to link data together than analysing each point separately which was a miracle for me.

Latest