Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The report was quite hard, what did u all write for it?
    i did question 5 on essay.

ReputationRep:
    i found the essay questions harder than the report u know. i did essay number 3.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to correct some peoples perceptions about unit 6. Unit 6 does have a synoptic component, which means yes the main part of the exam will test you on external influences and objectives and strategy but you are required to bring in parts from the rest of the specification and that means AS and A2.

20% of the marks are for synoptic responses, so if you do not bring into your answers other parts of the specification, you risk losing 20% of your marks.

Below is taken from the AQA Business Studies 2006 Specification:

This unit requires candidates to answer a number of compulsory
    questions based on a Case Study contained within the paper. It
    assesses candidates understanding of the relationship between
    different elements of Business Studies using integrating themes from
    Module 6 (External Influences and Objectives and Strategy) of the
    A2 Subject Content.
    The Advanced Subsidiary and Advanced Level Criteria state that
    A Level specifications must include synoptic assessment (representing
    at least 20% of the total A Level marks). In the context of Business
    Studies, this involves the explicit integration of knowledge,
    understanding and skills learned in different parts of the A Level
    course. This synoptic assessment takes place in Unit 6 (20%) which
    assesses candidates understanding of the relationship between the
    different aspects of Business Studies and requires the use of skills
    acquired throughout the course of study. Several areas of the Subject
    Content may be assessed using integrating themes which emphasise
    the interactive nature of the business world and draw all the Subject
    Content together.

ReputationRep:
    did anyone do unit 4 today
    how did you think it went and what topics were on it that you didnt like
    i didnt revise enough so im screw**

ReputationRep:
    unit 4

ReputationRep:
    I did unit 4. I thought it was alright. I think there was a catch though because none of the q's were terribly difficult. What does everyone else think about it? xxx

ReputationRep:
    Unit 4 was weird because they didnt have a 10 mark question on some form of calculation question. I was expecting either a critical path or investment appraisal.

I ran out of time as usual on Unit 4 and the ratio question annoyed me. After looking at the data the only ratios that stood out were gearing and acid test however the question said analyse the strength of the B/S and these were quite poor.

Unit 5 i found easier than 4. For Unit 5 i found it quite easy to go through each appendix choosing a couple points and analysing them and in some cases linking several points together. I did the Coca-Cola question i thought it was quite easy when saying how they could gurantee their future success.

ReputationRep:
    what questions were there on it like what ratios and what main topics

and what kind of business was it

ReputationRep:
    How did people find unit 5?
    I answered number 5 (the one about coca cola) for the essay q. I thought I did well, related it to loads of things and did a balanced arguement as we've been told to do. Just realised I didn't relate it to tons of financial stuff (only the fact they have bid bucks so will have loads of advertising power and ease of growth), but related it to ethics, globalisation, pressure groups, mcdonalds (how they seemed indestructable but have suffered enormous bad publicity after the release of 'supersize me')

What did everyone else do on this q?

ReputationRep:
    For Coca-Cola nearly all my points were related to their financial power and then i went off on some random point about them diversifying into a new market. The first question was much easier IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do question 4 the one about the benfits to the stakeholders of Cadbury and Nestle?
    Plz tell me if my answer is right coz im worried.

I talked about employees receiving higher wages n better working conditions but having stress due to producing more productivity to keep the companies in a dominant position.
    I talked about suppliers benefitting by being paid high prices due to the companys dominant dposition. But some may be paid low prices thus increasing their costs.
    I talked about managers being able to launch new products and shareholders receiving higher dividends thus their investment being worthwhile. I talked about customers receiving quality products.

I then said it depends on the management as they may not force their workers to work so hard and making them stressful. It also depends on the relationship between the suppliers and the companies. It also depends on whether the companies are not allwoing their stakeholders to benefit due to competitors entering the market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolguy)
    Did anyone do question 4 the one about the benfits to the stakeholders of Cadbury and Nestle?
    Plz tell me if my answer is right coz im worried.

I talked about employees receiving higher wages n better working conditions but having stress due to producing more productivity to keep the companies in a dominant position.
    I talked about suppliers benefitting by being paid high prices due to the companys dominant dposition. But some may be paid low prices thus increasing their costs.
    I talked about managers being able to launch new products and shareholders receiving higher dividends thus their investment being worthwhile. I talked about customers receiving quality products.

I then said it depends on the management as they may not force their workers to work so hard and making them stressful. It also depends on the relationship between the suppliers and the companies. It also depends on whether the companies are not allwoing their stakeholders to benefit due to competitors entering the market.
    Hey i did that question, but reading what you wrote, now i'm a bit worried with my answer... i put the same as you for shareholders and employees but for suppliers i put how the companys have more power and could lead to things like bullying suppliers.. and for customers, i talked about how demand may be higher for their product because of brand awareness and reputation.

For evaluation, i put that it depends on whether there will be any health concerns because it could have a great affect on the business in the long tern due to the decrease in demand but thinking about it now, it's not really answering the question, so i'm a bit worried... but i did put some other evaluation points throughout the essay, so hopefully their okay.

I'm really not looking forward to unit 6.. it's going to be a beast! Have not started revising yet! I'm SCREWED!

ReputationRep:
    I did the question on China, I thought this was fairly straightforward. The report was okay, not enough financial information though.I put most emphasis upon interlinking the appendixes. e.g Jamil was managing finance and R&D with no relevant experience and 30% (?) of business failure was due to poor management. To evaluate this I said that he had only been given 0.5% of the budget to play with.

ReputationRep:
    I answered the Coca Cola question too and went into -

Their financial status, their intangible assets, pressure groups and their minimal effect... can't remember alot more.

ReputationRep:
    the coca cola one i fit in the marketing mix, motivation techniques, training, product penetration, diversification etc. just wrote loads of bullpoop

i thought unit 4 was roxard-

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.