The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Switching courses at LSE (BMS to Maths and Econ)?

I'm currently holding an unconditional offer for Business Maths with Statistics (I'm currently on my gap year).

Over my gap year however, i became more and more interested in Economics and now want to switch to the Maths and Economics course.

I'm worried because although the courses have the same modules in first year (providing i pick intro to abstract maths), they are in different departments and so i'm guessing this would be much harder to do?

So what would your advice be? Speak to someone as soon as i arrive in LSE?

If so what is the process of switching, will they give me conditions/interview me?
Reply 1
It's easy to switch at the beginning of 2nd year, just make sure you take Abstract Maths in 1st year and do reasonably well in all exams (i.e. try to get 60% in all 4 exams). Then when results come out at the end of 1st year, you can ask to switch and they'll let you. I did this myself back in the day.

They usually won't allow it in 1st year because they can't be bothered with the admin (crazy, I know).
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Swayum
It's easy to switch at the beginning of 2nd year, just make sure you take Abstract Maths in 1st year and do reasonably well in all exams (i.e. try to get 60% in all 4 exams). Then when results come out at the end of 1st year, you can ask to switch and they'll let you. I did this myself back in the day.

They usually won't allow it in 1st year because they can't be bothered with the admin (crazy, I know).

Hey thanks for the reply.

If there are too many people on the Maths and Econ course already, is there a chance they will refuse you entry?
Reply 3
In theory, yeah definitely.

In practice, so many people fail/drop out/switch to BMS and other courses that it's not an issue I think.
Reply 4
Original post by Aphalleon
I'm currently holding an unconditional offer for Business Maths with Statistics (I'm currently on my gap year).

Over my gap year however, i became more and more interested in Economics and now want to switch to the Maths and Economics course.

I'm worried because although the courses have the same modules in first year (providing i pick intro to abstract maths), they are in different departments and so i'm guessing this would be much harder to do?

So what would your advice be? Speak to someone as soon as i arrive in LSE?

If so what is the process of switching, will they give me conditions/interview me?

I hope LSE can think of a way to stop being exploited by this obvious loophole.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending