The Student Room Group

SQA Higher English - What am I going to do now?!

Hey all...

I've just sat my first set of highers and got...
A - RMPS
B - History
C - English

As much as I am pleased for my results as I found the actual exams incredibly difficult, I am gutted that I didn't get what I deserved for English.

I had been getting predicted A's all year, however at the time when my prelim exam was to be done I became sick with pnemonia and had to do it at a later date. My mind at the time was not in it so therefore I failed the prelim... very badly may I just add.

I picked it up again after I got better and was doing really well however until the dreaded examination. I hit a blank wall - forgot all of my quotes and suddenly had a slight panic attack. Disaster.

I would be pleased with my C if it wasn't for the fact that I actually want to make a living out of being a writer. I'm doing more highers next year (unrelated) at college but then my plan was to go to uni and do either a creative writing course or preferably an English literature course. I'm really upset about this :frown: is there anything I can do to still make this happen? or am I just counting on lost hope? :confused:
Reply 1
Couldn't you resit Higher English at college?
Reply 2
I'm really wanting to avoid that option. :frown:
Reply 3
Just as an example (not saying that you would want to go here) but for English Literature at The University of Glasgow, you need an A in Higher English as part of the entry requirements. As does Strathclyde University, for example. Resitting higher English would be a good idea in my opinion, you have the potential to achieve an A, please don't let your experience of the final exam knock your confidence and prevent you from achieving what you're capable of.
Reply 4
I just get this fear that it would happen again. I know I could get an A I'm just so annoyed that I didn't get it first time around. Even though I did overall enjoy the course, it's quite daunting to go through it all over again :frown:
Reply 5
I can totally understand that, I was very daunted when I sat Higher English. I was the reverse of your situation, I struggled through out the year and was only getting C's and B's in timed essays and close reading practises when I should have been getting A's. It all came together towards the end and I got an A in the final exam. There's nothing like an exam to knock your confidence, but you just need to remember that you do have the intelligence and skill to get an A. Of course, it's understandable you're annoyed that you didn't perform as well as you know you could have, but unfortunately there's no going back now!

But, there is other routes. Not everyone who has made a career out of writing has a degree in English Literature! I'm sure you have a very natural flare for writing, maybe you could find out about a creative writing class near you? To just hone your talent a little?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending