This discussion is closed.
PeaceLovePink
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have just finished my AS year (currently awaiting results) and have been working towards getting into dental school, but after looking at a few threads on TSR, I really feel like my dream of going into dentistry has gone down the drain as so many students applying got amazing GCSE results (mostly A*'s etc.). my results are:

MATHS: A
BIOLOGY: A
CHEMISTRY: A
PHYSICS: A
ENGLISH LANG: B
ENGLISH LIT: B
FRENCH: B
RELIGIOUS STUDIES: B
ART: C

Are these enough to get me into a good dental school such as KCL or UNI of LEEDS? Also, in both french and R.S I was one UMS mark off an A. Is it possible for me to get these two remarked even though it has been a year since I got my results?
orange.bananna
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PeaceLovePink)
I have just finished my AS year (currently awaiting results) and have been working towards getting into dental school, but after looking at a few threads on TSR, I really feel like my dream of going into dentistry has gone down the drain as so many students applying got amazing GCSE results (mostly A*'s etc.). my results are:

Are these enough to get me into a good dental school such as KCL or UNI of LEEDS? Also, in both french and R.S I was one UMS mark off an A. Is it possible for me to get these two remarked even though it has been a year since I got my results?
Take a look at the Dentistry Entry Requirements page, to see whether you meet the entry requirements for the universities that you want to apply for. Also check the entry requirements on the websites of the universities you want to apply to. The main thing I would say to look out for is whether they want an A in English Language and if they are wanting a specific number of A grades or more. Otherwise you should be fine

Don't think you will be able to get remarks as it's been a year - but I'm not sure!
Liss301
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got into Exeter for Medicine with 5 A's, 4 B's and a C in maths. Plymouth and Exeter used to be combined as Peninsula School of Medicine and Dentistry but have now split, Plymouth is doing the Dentistry course so maybe apply there. I was worried about my gcse's as well but got 2 A*'s and an A at A level.
louloubella7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Universities tend to focus on predicted grades at A-Level and AS results. As long as you have GCSEs above a C it doesn't matter for most places, I know that Leeds don't require anything specific at GCSE. They won't take into account how many UMS marks you missed a grade by either unfortunately.

Just focus on getting your AAA grades at A-Level because once you have them you have a good chance of getting a place providing you have the right work experience and reasons for wanting to study dentistry. Don't let your GCSE grades put you off
PeaceLovePink
Rep:
?
Thank You all ! I definitely will consider looking into Plymouth for dentistry and Leeds is my second choice at the moment.
Heizenburg
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
High UKCAT makes up for bad GCSEs.
PeaceLovePink
Rep:
?
(Original post by Heizenburg)
I read this elsewhere on TSR so I have been preparing thoroughly for the UKCAT using the 600Q book, how to master the UKCAT, MEDIFY and the official UKCAT tests. Which do you think mostly resembles the difficulty of the questions as I found the MEDIFY questions easier than the others and never finished any of the sections on time in the official UKCAT tests
orange.bananna
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Heizenburg)
Not always the case - you do still need to meet the GCSE requirements even if you have an amazing UKCAT score
PeaceLovePink
Rep:
?
(Original post by orange.bananna)
Not always the case - you do still need to meet the GCSE requirements even if you have an amazing UKCAT score
For KCL you need B's in Maths and English, which I got, but on some of the TSR threads, I've read posts about people applying with things like 9 A*'S and that people with better grades than mine wouldnt even stand a chance. Is this true? Would I still be considered and would a high UKCAT score make up for it?
orange.bananna
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For KCL you need B's in Maths and English, which I got, but on some of the TSR threads, I've read posts about people applying with things like 9 A*'S and that people with better grades than mine wouldnt even stand a chance. Is this true? Would I still be considered and would a high UKCAT score make up for it?
You will always get people surpassing the minimum requirement. If they are just asking for B's in English language and Maths then you should still be considered - however I'm not an admission tutor. If you've met the entry requirements you should still be considered and a high UKCAT score may help your application
PeaceLovePink
Rep:
?
(Original post by orange.bananna)
You will always get people surpassing the minimum requirement. If they are just asking for B's in English language and Maths then you should still be considered - however I'm not an admission tutor. If you've met the entry requirements you should still be considered and a high UKCAT score may help your application
Thank you, I think I will go ahead and apply to KCL then
UnknownGuy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have 4A*, 4A, 1B and 1D.

I'm wondering if my GCSE's are weak? Will the D pull me down in my application? (Its in Spanish)
orange.bananna
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by UnknownGuy)
I have 4A*, 4A, 1B and 1D.

I'm wondering if my GCSE's are weak? Will the D pull me down in my application? (Its in Spanish)
Have a look here and I think you'll find your GCSEs should be fine and meet most entry requirements
username1472093
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Majority of applicants for dentistry will have ~5A*s, but gcses are a tiny part of the application. Good work experience/volunteering, high ukcat will make up for it

There are plenty of applicants with 7a*s aaaa AS and still get 4 rejections, they look at other things too
BlueGangsta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah ideally 5-10 A*s
Raaaas
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Tell me how it goes for you too
Raaaas
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I actually want to know
Last edited by RK; 3 months ago
PeaceLovePink
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys, I ended up applying to KCL, Leeds, Newcastle and Dundee... I got a pre- interview rejection from KCL and Leeds, A post interview rejection from Dundee and a conditional offer from Newcastle So basically I got two interviews and an offer! just waiting on my results now which ill get in a few hours time hah.. I know people who got all A*'s at GCSE and never got any offers for dentistry so I think if you apply wisely and the rest of your application is strong, it can compensate for lower than average GCSE grades for dental school applicants... Don't let people on TSR put you off from applying because at the end of the day a lot of people on here are extremely high achievers and they aren't a true representation of all applicants out there. Good luck if you decide to do dentistry!
Last edited by RK; 3 months ago
Raaaas
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi guys, I ended up applying to KCL, Leeds, Newcastle and Dundee... I got a pre- interview rejection from KCL and Leeds, A post interview rejection from Dundee and a conditional offer from Newcastle So basically I got two interviews and an offer! just waiting on my results now which ill get in a few hours time hah.. I know people who got all A*'s at GCSE and never got any offers for dentistry so I think if you apply wisely and the rest of your application is strong, it can compensate for lower than average GCSE grades for dental school applicants... Don't let people on TSR put you off from applying because at the end of the day a lot of people on here are extremely high achievers and they aren't a true representation of all applicants out there. Good luck if you decide to do dentistry!
Thank you so much replying You've really inspired me
Well done on getting the offer, I know you will get the grades.
Have fun
PeaceLovePink
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Raaaas)
Thank you so much replying You've really inspired me
Well done on getting the offer, I know you will get the grades.
Have fun
No problem thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (445)
56.33%
I don't have everything I need (345)
43.67%

Watched Threads