The Student Room Group

Which science should I pick?

Ok so I want to take computer science for uni and have already chosen to do Maths, Further Maths and Physics for A2.

I don't know wether I should take Chemistry or Biology. They are both interesting.

Some of my older friends are saying stay away from Chemistry if you don't have to take it so I am tempted to go for Biology.

What do you guys think?

Edit: This science will be just for AS and this year will be busy for me. That is why I was inclined to go for Biology.
(edited 10 years ago)
Pick the one that's most interesting and that you're most likely to do well in.
Most people find Chemistry harder than Biology but I would still pick Chemistry if you wish to read Computer Science as it is more relevant to i) your degree and ii) your other subjects, thus lowering your workload.
Original post by Muppet Science
Most people find Chemistry harder than Biology but I would still pick Chemistry if you wish to read Computer Science as it is more relevant to i) your degree and ii) your other subjects, thus lowering your workload.

Chemistry is not necessarily harder, but requires more of your time, especially as far as lab work is concerned.
Reply 4
Original post by Nikp3
Ok so I want to take computer science for uni and have already chosen to do Maths, Further Maths and Physics for A2.

I don't know wether I should take Chemistry or Biology. They are both interesting.

Some of my older friends are saying stay away from Chemistry if you don't have to take it so I am tempted to go for Biology.

What do you guys think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do chemistry...it overlaps with physics a fair bit.
Original post by Nikp3

What do you guys think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which one do you prefer yourself? An which did you do better at in GCSE?

Personally I found biology easier than chemistry in a level, but I enjoyed chemistry more and found it more interesting. A2 chemistry is really good too, but obviously you have to get through AS first

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RunningScotsman
Chemistry is not necessarily harder, but requires more of your time, especially as far as lab work is concerned.

I know it is not necessarily harder but 'most people' tend to find it more difficult which can be a fairly good indicator of difficulty. Of course in reference to a single applicant it is not 100% accurate but it is noteworthy.
Chemmmmiissstryyy
Original post by Student Midwife
Which one do you prefer yourself? An which did you do better at in GCSE?

Personally I found biology easier than chemistry in a level, but I enjoyed chemistry more and found it more interesting. A2 chemistry is really good too, but obviously you have to get through AS first

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I find both subjects interesting and as to which I did better at in GCSE? I'll tell you and GCSE Results Day.

Of course enjoyment of the subject is key for me. If I don't find it interesting I will be fighting to stay awake or to focus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Depends on the exam board really chemistry salters b is hard but hell as rewarding, theres also much less content to learn than biology which requires more application in A2, depends on how much effort your ready to put in and keep in mind theres no jan retakes
Reply 10
Pick the one you enjoy and find easier.
Original post by Nikp3
Well I find both subjects interesting and as to which I did better at in GCSE? I'll tell you and GCSE Results Day.

Of course enjoyment of the subject is key for me. If I don't find it interesting I will be fighting to stay awake or to focus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Remember you might have a change of heart about Uni subjects when you get half way through a level (I did) so you might like biology as its an entirely different subject and path you could follow.
The choice is completely up to you, no one can really tell you which subject to choose.
It might be worth finding out which exam boards your school/college uses, and looking at the content those exam boards include in each subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nikp3

What do you guys think?

Edit: This science will be just for AS and this year will be busy for me. That is why I was inclined to go for Biology.

I've just finished my A2's doing FM, maths, physics and chemistry. i'd definitely say chemistry was he hardest out of the four, but that's my opinion. I would recommend you choosing chemistry however as some of the AS stuff will be relevant to your A2 Physics... But then it's totally up to you ^^
Reply 13
Biology takes a lot of time to read and learn, a lot less understanding in Bio and a lot more remembering. Go for chemistry, it's really not too bad and the content, especially the first unit, overlaps with physics and chemistry gcse
You should know that Chemistry is considered by many to be the hardest A-level
Chemistry is supposedly the harder of the two, but I'd imagine its much more fun than Biology, which I'm told is rather boring (just memorising stuff). I'd go with Chemistry.
I don't know why but personally I found biology a lot harder than chemistry. I found maths harder than chemistry too. It depends on the individual because I didn't struggle with chemistry much at all at AS, it'd just click (with the exception of organic mechanisms!), but with biology I struggled 60% of the time and I won't even start on maths which was an absolute nightmare nearly all the time.
Reply 17
drop physics n pick both chem and bio :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest