• CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Was he an nice bloke Gemma?

StaVix; Chief of the Air Staff.

ReputationRep:
    i thought CAS was close air support thinking about it...?

ReputationRep:
    ah oops is that... air chief marshal glen torphy?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Yes it is

ReputationRep:
    ok so is there such a thing as Close air support (just finished douglas bader's book and he refers to this) or is it now called Close air protection? 14 mins....

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that Silly Wench! What stage was you at? Filter Interview? OASC? Either way if you think the RAF is for you still make sure you go for a debrief.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemmaLS)
    oooh, and yesterday I got to see Typhoons take off and climb around inside a lancaster (the 'City of Lincoln')
    It's all fun and games on Dev flight eh? :p:
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I love seeing the Typhoons.

I heard a tutor today and got all emotional :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CKinnerley)
    Well, suffice to say I know enough to put in that comment about the good looking actress and provoke an interesting reaction, and it worked did it not? :cool:
    Ha ha, you avoided my question. :p:

Although (), yes, you were correct. I am a walking, talking hormone. And you've sized me up pretty well. :mad:
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I know, it is strange. Anything to do with the RAF really, but the aircraft in particular. Flying with the UAS gave me a soft spot for the tutor but other than that I'd have to say the Hawk, or the Tornados- unoffical mascot of the RAF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ubiquitous)
    Sorry to hear that Silly Wench! What stage was you at? Filter Interview? OASC? Either way if you think the RAF is for you still make sure you go for a debrief.
    I was only at the filter interview stage. It's a big knock to me. This was my second attempt. After my first filter I was told to do some volunteer work and to try and get more responsibilty in my job-to show that I have leadership potential, apparently being patrol leader in Guides about ten years ago isn't enough-and improve my confidence. I have since changed jobs, I now work in the cash office at a supermarket. It's not exactly leading people, but there's alot of responsibility that goes with it, I've also enrolled in about every scheme and sundry that they've got going at the store, I fundraise for the charity the store supports, I'm the treasurer for the "social fund" (money we save up towards our Christmas party) and I'm on a management training programme. I work one evening a week and one overnight a month at the Samaritans, and I'm running the marathon next year to raise money for them (also keeps me fit). I've developed alot more confidence since last year, and dramatically improved my interview technique. I've started playing basketball and going to circuit training, I really thought that this time I was in for a chance.

I've not had a debreif yet on this one, I had to write into the AFCO for it, I'm presuming they get in touch with me for a date that I can go in and see them, so I'm waiting for that. I just feel like such a failure. I've decided I'm going to try again next year, but that's my last attempt, if I don't get in then, why bother? I mean, the RAF is everything to me, but if I'm not going to get in, I'm not going to get in, and by having to wait another year, I'm putting on hold whatever other career I could be going into if they decide I'm not officer potential. At this rate, by the time I get my life on track, get a decent career and sort myself out, I'm going to be ready for retirement!!!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that. If you have improved greatly in the past 12 months, then it is logical to assume that you will improve some more in the next year as well. So stick with it. Chin up - this is not the time to feel sorry for yourself! Think of this as your last chance to do something you really want, and make sure that everything you do over the next year is aimed towards this goal. Things may look bleak to you at the moment, but many RAF Officers did not get in first time. Maybe a change of scenery is in order as well - perhaps try a different AFCO next time to dispel with the 'bad memories'? I don't know where you live so obviously I don't know how far away the different AFCO are for you, but if you are lucky like me then you have an AFCO an hour away in each direction.

So good luck for the next year. Remember, 1940 looked bleak for the RAF but through shedding blood, sweat and tears they emerged victorious five years later and claimed ultimate victory. Just like you will.

ReputationRep:
    Not wanting to sound negative or too harsh, but maybe if you don't pass the filter interview after your second attempt, something more than not sitting on enough committees or raising enough money for charity must be wrong? Not saying you shouldn't keep pursuing your dreams or anything, but I'd think long and hard before committing to another year of working towards one single uncertain goal. If there's something you could be pursuing career wise in the mean time I'd do that, not put your life on hold. Worst that happens is you don't like the career change and pursue the RAF again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djmarkmclachlan)
    Ahh. What board you got? Ouch - I dunno of anyone dying when I was there; fair few injuries though - as is to be expected. Sounds like a good time, and atleast you managed to evade injury!
    Not good enough to get my own board, mind you, if i had a few hundred quid burning a hole in my pocket i'd probably waste it on that. None of us got injured amazingly, just bruised and battered as usual!

ReputationRep:
    This may sound crazy to some, but here goes.......
    At what stage can one attempt to get onto a jumps course, to gain 'The Badges Of Courage'
    I would expect during IOT one would be far to busy to swan off to jump out of planes.
    Or maybe I should do what I did that last time, put my name down for an attachment, speak to the RSM about the update of said attachment, being asked if I want the bad news or the good news.......
    Bad news, NO attachment, good news, free-fall jumps course in Germany.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone
    How are you all?
    Hope you're all having fun in the boiling hot weather
    quick question
    what is the full rank structure for the RAF
    and how does that differ for the RN and Army?
    Thanks people.
    I've been looking around and keep getting different things.
    I've looked on their websites but can't seem to find it.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Thank you!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    http://www.raf.mod.uk/organisation/ranks.html

http://www.army.mod.uk/100regtrav/ranks_and_pay.htm

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/...e=ConMediaFile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Black Hawk
    You're a star!!!......(couldn't find a proper star smillie)
    That's just the sorta thing I needed
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    You're welcome.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd let you all now what the CO toldme on my debreif. (You're probably all bored pf me by now, but I want to get it off my chest,I've no-one else to talk to about it) Basically, on paper, I am a perfect candidate-lots of activities and interests, physical activities, good motivation and awareness, however, I was too nervous on my interview, but managed to keep control, although as the interview progressed I became flushed (!?) and went blank when pressured. I also have a weak projection. My overall impact showed that I was underconfident.

I asked him if it was worth me re-applying, I lacked confidence in my first interview, and so obviously everything I've done in the last year or so hasn't done much to improve that aspect of my performance. He told me that he couldn't give advice,but then told me not to carry on treadingwater for another year, persue a career, and if I still wanted to join the RAF in a year's time, I could do, if not, or if I did and I got knocked back again, I have the career to fall back on. It also said on my filter report to consider a P3 application. I take from this, I really don't have a chance of getting in at officer level.

So here's the big decision...Do I re-apply as an airwoman and go the NC route (I can re-apply as an officer after so many years service if I wish), or do I go and think about what I want to do aside from the RAF-which I really don't have a clue about, all I've ever wanted to do is go into the RAF-and apply and train to do that? I don't have a clue about what I want to do other than the RAF though, nothing interests me.

:confused:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.