Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Toria

Ring them up and ask, but use the 'Blame Mum' technique - it goes like this:

"Hi AFCO, this is me, sorry to disturb you but this is the situation: I'm totally cool about the rapid processing, I'm a flexible person, I've got all the qualities that you want and I can cope. However, my Mum's got her knickers in a twist about things and keeps asking me these questions, can you give me some answers so that I can calm her down?

I don't know all the details about your application and training schedule, but you could mutter something about Mum wanting to know if you will be around at Christmas etc

Then ask you your questions and hopefully get a better picture re the apparent change of plan - without appearing like you are in a tizzy yourself!

ReputationRep:
    lol, that is such a genius idea!!!!!!!! You done it before? ha ha
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Toria)
    Ok cheers for you knowledge and help. I'll just had to wait till Monday to find out why they needed to interview so quickley! There only seems to be two speeds in applying for RAF, 'all stations go' or 'shutdown'! lol
    Have you not heard the phrase "Hurry up and wait"? Welcome to the Armed Forces

I was once rung by my desk officer on a Wednesday afternoon and asked if I could start a very important, urgent job at a new unit the following day. I said no, I had a task I couldn't get out of, Friday then? no, I had a Station parade to attend. Eventually we agreed that despite the urgency of the situation I could start the new job on Monday. When I pitched up, I found that the new department had had the post gapped (empty) for 8 months, weren't expecting me, had no work for me, had abandoned the job, and I did about 5 days useful work in the next 6 months!!

Most folk with more than 1 week of IOT experience will have similar tales to tell - seems you are starting early!

ReputationRep:
    Just been on the University of England (birmingham) web site where I would be for my trade training and it has on it in big letters now recruiting for January 2007 intake. So looks like thats why they need to get me in quick so that I can do my basic training around October time! Feeling better now should have looked there first. Thanks though for your suggestions and replying back to me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toria)
    Just been on the University of England (birmingham) web site where I would be for my trade training and it has on it in big letters now recruiting for January 2007 intake. So looks like thats why they need to get me in quick so that I can do my basic training around October time! Feeling better now should have looked there first. Thanks though for your suggestions and replying back to me!
    Do you mean the University of Central England? (UCE) I live just up the road from where you'dbe training. About a mile from the main drinking strip in Birmingham. A fun place to be (depending on your viewpoint!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemmaLS)
    Knees aren't too bad thanks. they're surviving the walk/run program.

Sorry I haven't replied to your pm yet - i'm trying to catch up with them but I've got too much admin work at the moment.

Will pm soon!
    Glad to hear they're coping - sure you will be fighting fit in no time

No worries, as and when you can :p: Speak soon

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats what I ment, I've been living in Sheffield's drinking area for the past 4 and a bit years, came here to uni and stayed on with some of my mates! If I'm doing a diploma from trade training am I employed by the RAF or will I be a poor student with another loan to apply for just wondering if I have to find my own accommodation as well? Any one know how it works?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Toria

I don't know the specifics for sure, but from what you have said, they will complete your interviews etc, and assuming you pass, sign you on (ie you are in and paid (when JPA decides to)) you do your basic training, then they are effectively out-sourcing your trade training, so you will be paid ie not a penniless student, and if there is no mil accommodation within a reasonable distance, then the Service will either have arranged rooms in a hall of residence, or in rented accomm outside - you may or may no have any choice in where you live. That info is based on what I know they do for other civilian run courses etc.

ReputationRep:
    ...or you could come and stay with my better half! She'll be needing company, as by then I should be at Cranwell

ReputationRep:
    I've got three mates living in Birmingham so got no end of choices!

ReputationRep:
    Just been rung up by AFCO and interview has been cancelled because there was only one post and it was filled this morning. They aren't sure if its opening up next year! Back to square one!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toria)
    Just been rung up by AFCO and interview has been cancelled because there was only one post and it was filled this morning. They aren't sure if its opening up next year! Back to square one!!!!
    Sorry to hear that.

ReputationRep:
    Gutted for you Toria - how frustrating!!!! Hang in their though, think of it as going back to the original plan

*Hugs*

Btw.... my mum just texted me to let me know I have a big letter from the RAF waiting for me at home - EEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

Early lunch me thinks Hmmm...hope it's good news...?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouE3D)
    Gutted for you Toria - how frustrating!!!! Hang in their though, think of it as going back to the original plan

*Hugs*

Btw.... my mum just texted me to let me know I have a big letter from the RAF waiting for me at home - EEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

Early lunch me thinks Hmmm...hope it's good news...?!

Can't you get her to open it??? I hope it's good news. I'm quite anxious. I want to know NOW too!!!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers I also found out I didnt paid today so just waiting for the next bit of bad news to show its head!!! Good luck with your letter, hope its what you've been waiting for!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romper)
    Can't you get her to open it??? I hope it's good news. I'm quite anxious. I want to know NOW too!!!
    Well I could but I want to open it so I can brace myself!!!! It would be like someone opening your christmas presents.... just hope this one doesn't contain a lump of coal ??!!

Ah thanks.... am about to run out of office so shall report back in just over an hour to let you know - AHHHHHHHHH! (do they have a smiley for happy, nervious, excited and confused all at once??)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toria)
    Cheers I also found out I didnt paid today so just waiting for the next bit of bad news to show its head!!! Good luck with your letter, hope its what you've been waiting for!!!!!!!
    They say it comes in threes don't they...? Quick stub your toe and then it's all over ! Thanks, me too... will let you know!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Just been home to open said letter... it was my bloody records from the air cadets!!! Talk about a come down :rolleyes: .... could have been worse it could of been "We are sorry to inform you..." :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouE3D)
    Just been home to open said letter... it was my bloody records from the air cadets!!! Talk about a come down :rolleyes: .... could have been worse it could of been "We are sorry to inform you..." :p:
    Sorry to hear that. I think you should write to OASC and claim petrol money!!!
    Keep positivethough. Your letter will be there soon enough!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sorry to hear the letter wasn't the one you wanted. my fingers are still crossed for you!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.