The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is there a North-South divide?

I recently came across a post on here that generalised the North as a place full of uneducated idiots. Popular phrases like "a night out in the North" for example.

Also many people believe this was made worse by the Thatcher government, due to the Northern industry with thousands of jobs being destroyed whilst the majority of the south prospered.

Furthermore do Northern people see a divide whilst the South do not, or is it the other way around? Or maybe there isn't one at all and in reality we are all just as ****ed as each other.

Before you all get on your high horses explaining why I'm an idiot and wrong, realise that this is a debate, no ones opinion is right so don't patronise other people's comments or I'll shove a penguin where the sun don't shine.

Much love from, your Northern friend, Smell.

P.s. I have a lot of southern friends and believe there is only a very small minority that is bigoted (same with north)

Cheers dudes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Many would argue there is not a North-South divide, and in my aspects they're right, but the divide exists in the minds of many people, and so in a sense does exists, because people regard it as a real aspect of life, of existence. I personally there is a divide, though its not drawn by lines on a map defining a border, but by demography that reflects varying differences through economy, heritage, and politics, these acting as the foundation base for the cultures of each side of the country, though not to an extent to make two countries inside one in the manner of say England-Scotland inside the UK. Speaking as a Geordie (the Northerners of Northerners!), its rhetoric its repetitiveness, but industry plays a strong existence in the North, mainly due to the longevity of its existence in the North; it extending for hundreds of years. For better or for worst it is the bedrock of our lives in the North, you're life centred on industry, be it your job in your future as a schoolboy, or as part of your family lineage (my Grandad used to work for Swan ship yards for 30 years, helping to build ships). The influence of these industries were not only far reaching, they were the lives of many people, and through hard toils, low pay, there was a connection through many people throughout a community. When it was taken away, it left a void, and while I disagree with the cynical critics of the North that it is a waste ground of job centres and criminals, it has had a profound affect on the economy, and like any society reeling from a massive loss of employment, crime, social problems, have arisen. But Northern unity still thrive, if only in a more ugly, more pessimistic manner, the joint view of revilement against Thatcher and Conservatism taking the place of animosity to a government far removed to the life of a worker of mines and ship yards, who toil for hours through sweat and tears to make a country work and function. With all that's happened since the 80s, it pretty much sealed the opinions of the North on what they view of the South, as being distant, self serving narcissuses that are bereft of empathy or care for a hard working people. It might not be true, but that is how it is felt up North, and with people making the big decisions down in London, it makes us up North feel ignored and not cared for, despite all our efforts and contributions to country, and formerly, empire.
Reply 2
Original post by Dune1
Many would argue there is not a North-South divide, and in my aspects they're right, but the divide exists in the minds of many people, and so in a sense does exists, because people regard it as a real aspect of life, of existence. I personally there is a divide, though its not drawn by lines on a map defining a border, but by demography that reflects varying differences through economy, heritage, and politics, these acting as the foundation base for the cultures of each side of the country, though not to an extent to make two countries inside one in the manner of say England-Scotland inside the UK. Speaking as a Geordie (the Northerners of Northerners!), its rhetoric its repetitiveness, but industry plays a strong existence in the North, mainly due to the longevity of its existence in the North; it extending for hundreds of years. For better or for worst it is the bedrock of our lives in the North, you're life centred on industry, be it your job in your future as a schoolboy, or as part of your family lineage (my Grandad used to work for Swan ship yards for 30 years, helping to build ships). The influence of these industries were not only far reaching, they were the lives of many people, and through hard toils, low pay, there was a connection through many people throughout a community. When it was taken away, it left a void, and while I disagree with the cynical critics of the North that it is a waste ground of job centres and criminals, it has had a profound affect on the economy, and like any society reeling from a massive loss of employment, crime, social problems, have arisen. But Northern unity still thrive, if only in a more ugly, more pessimistic manner, the joint view of revilement against Thatcher and Conservatism taking the place of animosity to a government far removed to the life of a worker of mines and ship yards, who toil for hours through sweat and tears to make a country work and function. With all that's happened since the 80s, it pretty much sealed the opinions of the North on what they view of the South, as being distant, self serving narcissuses that are bereft of empathy or care for a hard working people. It might not be true, but that is how it is felt up North, and with people making the big decisions down in London, it makes us up North feel ignored and not cared for, despite all our efforts and contributions to country, and formerly, empire.

I enjoyed reading that, in a sense it is down to the individual to see the divide between each other, I mean there's divides everywhere. Coming from just outside Liverpool I know there's a definite divide between parts of Liverpool itself due to the social backgrounds. I guess the stereotypes will remain for a while in some people's minds! I would like to know a Southerners view on all this. Maybe they'd agree with yourself! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Did not read OP make it more friendly

South has better universities

Northern accents can grate cheese

And.. yeah you get it
I personally did not realise that there existed any form of North-South divide until I went to uni and found out from the Northerners, although I have felt that this divide seems to be the North vs London as coming from the South-West a lot of the funny Southern generalisations just don't apply :lol:
Reply 5
Original post by manic_fuzz
I personally did not realise that there existed any form of North-South divide until I went to uni and found out from the Northerners, although I have felt that this divide seems to be the North vs London as coming from the South-West a lot of the funny Southern generalisations just don't apply :lol:
Maybe it is spoken literally from a point of view? London and the area of what is regarded as the "South", is directly below the North on the map, rather than as a generalisation of the whole of Southern England?
Reply 6
Original post by Boitzkrieg

And.. yeah you get it

Depends on what you define as better? Better in terms of grants, facilities, experience, and indeed, history, then some Universities in the South are good, if not world wide best, namely that of Cambridge and Oxford, but "better" is not the word I would of used, as it dismisses what is possessed up in the North. University of Sheffield is in the top ten best Universities in the country, and many are as good in other parts. If they weren't, then they would simply close them down and fund the ones that are "better". The fact remains is that these Universities are alive and functioning, and are doing their bit to provide a higher education, though that as a whole is in question at the moment to its feasibility to provide jobs, but that's a different can of worms. And Northern accents grate do they? BT centres are up in the Northeast, the Geordie accent is often polled as one of the best accents to have for a professional, a polar opposite to the polled worst accent that is from Bromley, Southeast London? In addition to your pro-South, anti-North bout/spout, there's less crime up North, less or no gridlock traffic jams, and people are widely held as being friendly. My Grandad (the same one I mentioned earlier), once asked a man for directions in London, and the guy simply said "go ask a policeman!". Never would of happened up North, I can assure you.
Reply 7
Original post by Dune1
Depends on what you define as better? Better in terms of grants, facilities, experience, and indeed, history, then some Universities in the South are good, if not world wide best, namely that of Cambridge and Oxford, but "better" is not the word I would of used, as it dismisses what is possessed up in the North.

Better in comparison?

University of Sheffield is in the top ten best Universities in the country, and many are as good in other parts. If they weren't, then they would simply close them down and fund the ones that are "better". The fact remains is that these Universities are alive and functioning, and are doing their bit to provide a higher education, though that as a whole is in question at the moment to its feasibility to provide jobs, but that's a different can of worms.

Did not dispute their validity but in comparison 6 or whatever unis according to league tables are in the..

There should be only 30 unis in the country really. Some both north and south are synonymous to robbery

And Northern accents grate do they? BT centres are up in the Northeast, the Geordie accent is often polled as one of the best accents to have for a professional, a polar opposite to the polled worst accent that is from Bromley, Southeast London?

OK only in my vile opinion

Results form small surveys

In addition to your pro-South, anti-North bout/spout, there's less crime up North, less or no gridlock traffic jams, and people are widely held as being friendly. My Grandad (the same one I mentioned earlier), once asked a man for directions in London, and the guy simply said "go ask a policeman!". Never would of happened up North, I can assure you.

Do they accept muslims?

I am not muslim and I am not brown
Reply 8

And.. yeah you get it

What do you mean by "did not read OP make it more friendly"? Do you want me to make my introduction more friendly? Wouldn't it be oxymoronic to have a friendly introduction to a sensitive matter that has caused social unrest since the Thatcher regime... :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
In general its more of a North/London-South East divide. Personally I'd rather have the rugged beauty of the North than the stress of the rat race down in London even if it meant being less well off.
I think there is a north south divide. I'm northern and in my opinion in the north it's really friendly compared to south. You can ask anyone for help and you will rarely be refused up here. I may be wrong, just an opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by usernameishard
I think there is a north south divide. I'm northern and in my opinion in the north it's really friendly compared to south. You can ask anyone for help and you will rarely be refused up here. I may be wrong, just an opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with you there! I think Northern people at more friendly than southern. I realise I'm generalising here, and that's unfair to do since I'm sure there's many horrible northern people that surround my life. But from personal experience, asking directions etc northern people seem to be more willing to help. Maybe southern people have busier lives? We have a lot of field where I am...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Smell
What do you mean by "did not read OP make it more friendly"? Do you want me to make my introduction more friendly? Wouldn't it be oxymoronic to have a friendly introduction to a sensitive matter that has caused social unrest since the Thatcher regime... :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

In terms of presentation
Original post by Dune1

my eyes....
Reply 14
In terms of presentation

Why because I threatened to shove a penguin up someone's arse if they started abusing someone? Or because my prose were not clean and precise? Maybe you could rewrite it for me and we could compare? Please excuse my paragraph orientation, I'll work to improve it so you will eventually feel I'm on the same intellectual level as yourself, and therefore read what I actually have to say. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
There is, I've experienced it all week with people I met on holiday. 'You're a farmer, you're uneducated' etc. plus correcting the way I speak.

Annoying as I've been nothing but complimentary of the South!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by StephenNaulls
There is, I've experienced it all week with people I met on holiday. 'You're a farmer, you're uneducated' etc. plus correcting the way I speak.

Annoying as I've been nothing but complimentary of the South!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's wrong with being a farmer?
Reply 17
Not a fan of the north, would prefer there to be a wall separating the two
Reply 18
Original post by yaboy
Not a fan of the north, would prefer there to be a wall separating the two

Please tell me this is sarcasm:')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Smell
Please tell me this is sarcasm:')