The Student Room Group

Admin/Receptionist voluntary work

I've just graduated & am struggling to find a job in admin as I don't have very much experience.
I'm thinking of doing volunteering admin work for a few months (up until at least Christmas) to gain some experience & have found a few possible places I could volunteer at.
Is anyone in the same boat or been in the same boat? Is it a worthwhile thing to do?
I feel I'm just sat around atm, & that this would be a good starting point.
Sounds a bit unambitious to me. If you're prepared to remain unwaged until January, surely there are more lucrative jobs you could be targetting for work experience?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by electriic_ink
Sounds a bit unambitious to me. If you're prepared to remain unwaged until January, surely there are more lucrative jobs you could be targetting for work experience?

I'm not really sure where else I could find work experience in admin that's the issue. Even basic admin are rejecting me as there are better candidates. So I thought this night be a way of gaining the experience I need.
Reply 3
A very good idea. I myself am in a similar predicament as you ST10, having got a NVQ level 2 in Business Administration, it hasn't provided me any jobs. Experience is the way forward, and I've started doing that on a voluntary basis. I learned of my volunteer opportunities via this website, http://www.do-it.org.uk/, and its a very good voluntary website, not just for admin but for every venture that should interest a person.
Reply 4
Original post by Dune1
A very good idea. I myself am in a similar predicament as you ST10, having got a NVQ level 2 in Business Administration, it hasn't provided me any jobs. Experience is the way forward, and I've started doing that on a voluntary basis. I learned of my volunteer opportunities via this website, http://www.do-it.org.uk/, and its a very good voluntary website, not just for admin but for every venture that should interest a person.

thank you for the reply :smile: yep that's the website I looked on & they had a few opportunities on there that would interest me.
it's such a hard job market that I thought it would give me some experience & something to do.
as you said, It seems to be all about experience nowadays rather than qualifications.
good luck with it all!
Reply 5
You should also check your local hospitals' websites for any admin positions :smile: That's how I got my volunteer place at the hospital to be an admin assistant but haven't yet started :smile: There's also another volunteering website such as http://www.charityjob.co.uk/Volunteer-Jobs :smile: What city are you from? :smile: You could also contact your local volunteer centre if you have any near you for any positions that interest you as well :smile:

It's a good thing to do something rather than wait until someone offers you a job :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ForgetMe
You should also check your local hospitals' websites for any admin positions :smile: That's how I got my place the a hospital to be admin assistant but haven't yet started :smile: There's also another volunteering website such as http://www.charityjob.co.uk/Volunteer-Jobs :smile: What city are you from? :smile: You could also contact your local volunteer centre if you have any near you for any positions that interest you as well :smile:

It's a good thing to do something rather than wait until someone offers you a job :smile:

Thanks for the other suggestions, will have a look at them. And well done on getting an admin job :smile:
Hospices. I volunteer with the patients at my local one and all the reception staff are volunteers
Reply 8
Original post by MrSupernova
Hospices. I volunteer with the patients at my local one and all the reception staff are volunteers

thank you for the suggestion :smile:
Sorry I accidentally negged you! Will give you a positive one when I can!
Reply 9
Citizen's advice bureaux need admin volunteers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending