The Student Room Group

Best Student bank account ? Freebies?

My sixthform had a finance day a few months ago saying we should look into what banks we get our student finance put into, as it'll probably be the bank we'll stick with later on. We were told to shop around for the best deal because the banks offer incentives, although when looking around I've only found that santander are giving out free rail cards (which is good) and a fairly good overdraft, also another banks giving out free mobile insurance - but other than good overdrafts I haven't seen many banks offering anything great, so was wondering if there were any deals I haven't come across?
Or anything I should look out for ?
Any help would be great :smile:

Community Team Update:
Check out our guide to the Best Student Bank Account for more.

Scroll to see replies

I've got one more year till I'm applying for a student bank account, but I did see an advertisement in a branch window where Natwest were offering a 4 year railcard (worth about Β£120 I think) which is pretty good.
Original post by megantrace
I've got one more year till I'm applying for a student bank account, but I did see an advertisement in a branch window where Natwest were offering a 4 year railcard (worth about Β£120 I think) which is pretty good.

Just checked, they only give you a railcard if you've opened an account with them prior to april 2012.

Im going to stick with natwest because they offer an arranged overdraft for 5 years, and I think they let you pay it back within 2 years of graduation. Pretty good. The railcard is just an added bonus.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Santander are now doing the 16-25 rail card.. But they are notorious for having problems.
I need to start looking for an account. My choice may be more complicated due to this being my second degree :erm:
Natwest student account is fine for me. I got a free railcard with it, and decent overdraft.
Original post by Kayliababy
Santander are now doing the 16-25 rail card.. But they are notorious for having problems.

All banks have their problems if you ask me. Anyone who is 100% happy with their bank is lying!
Reply 7
Original post by littlemissmidget123
Natwest student account is fine for me. I got a free railcard with it, and decent overdraft.

mmm, thinking I might go for Natwest
Reply 8
Original post by guitardad
My sixthform had a finance day a few months ago saying we should look into what banks we get our student finance put into, as it'll probably be the bank we'll stick with later on. We were told to shop around for the best deal because the banks offer incentives, although when looking around I've only found that santander are giving out free rail cards (which is good) and a fairly good overdraft, also another banks giving out free mobile insurance - but other than good overdrafts I haven't seen many banks offering anything great, so was wondering if there were any deals I haven't come across?

Fellow coventrian :smile: looks like we're in the same year too- how weird!

i keep meaning to look into this stuff, my parents just said to wait until my uni place is confirmed though since most places want your uni details before you can sort anything out :tongue:
Reply 9
mmm, thinking I might go for Natwest

I want to as well but apparently the railcard is for existing customers?
Reply 10
I want to as well but apparently the railcard is for existing customers?

I'm going in to town today, so I'll check and update you if that's the case :smile:

Otherwise I know for sure that santander offer a free railcard, but everyone's saying they're not too great :/
Reply 11
I'm going in to town today, so I'll check and update you if that's the case :smile:

Otherwise I know for sure that santander offer a free railcard, but everyone's saying they're not too great :/

I literally just checked online and I was talking to a advisor online and they said they no longer do the 16-25 railcard... I might have to go for Santander. If I do I'll probably just transfer money from my Halifax account in case they do something stupid.
Reply 12
I literally just checked online and I was talking to a advisor online and they said they no longer do the 16-25 railcard... I might have to go for Santander. If I do I'll probably just transfer money from my Halifax account in case they do something stupid.

Hi is this for existing customers too? Because last year they did the railcard for existing natwest but not new customers. If they've stopped that this year then that's really stupid! :angry:
Reply 13
I recently got my Student account approved by The Co-operative, I believe they offer the best interest-free overdraft for the first year which is Β£1400. I was really more interested in which bank offers the best overdraft and am not too fussed about the 'freebies'. I will probably keep my NatWest account open though as I've been with them for quite a few years now.
Reply 14
Original post by montstar
Hi is this for existing customers too? Because last year they did the railcard for existing natwest but not new customers. If they've stopped that this year then that's really stupid! :angry:

no I don't think it's for existing customers either, I'm not 100 percent sure tbh. Which is why I might have to go with Santander for the railcard
Reply 15
Cooperative because they give you Β£1700 interest free overdraft
Reply 16
I've been with Natwest for a year (adapt account 18 and under), they've upgrade me to a student account. They said they no longer do railcards regardless of when you set up the account.

However you do receive a free 'Taste Membership' card which gives you 50% off at lots of restaurants e.g. Pizza Express, GBK, ASK, Strada. I'd much rather prefer the railcard but cba to change
Reply 17
no I don't think it's for existing customers either, I'm not 100 percent sure tbh. Which is why I might have to go with Santander for the railcard

Original post by Alex360
I've been with Natwest for a year (adapt account 18 and under), they've upgrade me to a student account. They said they no longer do railcards regardless of when you set up the account.

However you do receive a free 'Taste Membership' card which gives you 50% off at lots of restaurants e.g. Pizza Express, GBK, ASK, Strada. I'd much rather prefer the railcard but cba to change

Grrr that's so annoying! People last year got one and those people are continuing to get one every year! Plus I took a gap year so I would've been starting last year.
We get the tastecard, but students aren't really going to go to restaurants much are they?! :frown:

I've been with Natwest since i was a kid, but now I might go to Santander instead.
Reply 18
Original post by montstar
Grrr that's so annoying! People last year got one and those people are continuing to get one every year! Plus I took a gap year so I would've been starting last year.
We get the tastecard, but students aren't really going to go to restaurants much are they?! :frown:

I've been with Natwest since i was a kid, but now I might go to Santander instead.

Yeah it is very annoying, and true I doubt students will be eating out. But its Better than nothing lol
Reply 19

Santander is the best at the moment, but this website is super good (it lists all the student accounts :smile: )
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/Student-bank-account

Quick Reply

Latest