The Student Room Group

Would you join the Army if conscription was introduced?

Poll

What would you do if conscription was introduced during Wartime?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section or if there is another similar thread!

Let's assume Britain was at war with another nation, and that Britain was not necessarily aggressively (imperialistically) invading the other nation.

Edit (again): I have just brushed up on the topic and it turns out that you can refuse conscription based on Conscientious Objection (CO status), as I had previously thought. As far as I'm aware, you would be subject to a tribunal to determine whether you were were genuinly objecting, or just trying to get out of military service.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No I'm not willing to go to a desert waste land when it offers no benefit to Britain.
Reply 2
The idea of conscription is you don't have a choice on the matter... So you can moan all your want or refuse, you'll just end up in prison. Or you can try and beat the psychologist and claim your crazy. In WW1, men were considered "cowards" if they managed to avoid joining and people shunned them. Not sure if it'd be the same... With the attitude of kids nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the norm.

Btw, I've left the Navy after 7 years last year, and no, I don't wanna go back. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
"My country needs me"

*drops everything and flies away into the distance*
Reply 4
I'm type one diabetic so I'm not allowed to join :/
The only way I can see conscription returning is if Britain was in serious danger of being invaded so in such a scenario **** yeah I'd join, I was raised to be a man and being a man means stepping up when required. I'd fully support jailing those who refuse in that kind of scenario, to me refusing to join in that context is like not paying taxes, you're a part of society and you can't enjoy the perks and not sacrifice anything.
Reply 6
Assuming this is a WW2 type threat then yes, I'd join.
Reply 7
I would not be able to take another humans life, I feel terrible if I kill a spider for god sake I'd be cannon fodder.
I'd be useless in the field. I'd probably try and get a non combat role. Anyway, I can't envisage a situation in which conscription would be necessary in the 21st century.
I wouldn't have much choice, that's kinda the point of conscription...

Seriously though, if a situation like WWI or WWII arose, I'd sign up in a heartbeat. If conscription was introduced for the conflict in Afghanistan, however, things would be more... Problematic for me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MrSupernova
I wouldn't have much choice, that's kinda the point of conscription...

Aha exactly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I'd join and probably will join the TA at some point despite conscription not being enforced.
I've played enough video games to know how to fight in a war
Pshhht, hell no. I'll fight for what I believe in, not some grotty politician. When it's time for me to fight, I'll do it on my terms, with my life, and I'll do it well.
1 volunteer is worth 10 conscripts.

["If everyone fought for their own convictions, there would be no war."]
-Leo Tolstoy.
I'd be on the first boat out of here - the only involvement in war that I have any respect for is the medics who try to keep people alive. However, I'm not a medical student or really capable of driving an ambulance, so the only role I would ever even consider isn't one that could happen: I'll not be complicit in mass-murder in any way, shape or form, so I guess it's a case of whether I emigrate or get chucked in prison first.
Reply 15
Yes, I'd join the army but as an engineer. Not fighting.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
I'd be on the first boat out of here - the only involvement in war that I have any respect for is the medics who try to keep people alive. However, I'm not a medical student or really capable of driving an ambulance, so the only role I would ever even consider isn't one that could happen: I'll not be complicit in mass-murder in any way, shape or form, so I guess it's a case of whether I emigrate or get chucked in prison first.

What the **** is this pacifistic childish thinking? How the **** is someone fighting for their survival over a aggressor not worthy of respect? Pacifist are just selfish pricks who enjoy the fruits (protection/freedom) by those who are willing to fight.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
What the **** is this pacifistic childish thinking? How the **** is someone fighting for their survival over a aggressor not worthy of respect? Pacifist are just selfish pricks who enjoy the fruits (protection/freedom) by those who are willing to fight.

Very, very, few wars have been a battle between Good and Evil.

Most wars tend to be fought so one sides elite can be richer, have more land, more power. That's not worth dying for.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse

What about pacifists in nazi germany?
Original post by Izzyeviel
Very, very, few wars have been a battle between Good and Evil.

Most wars tend to be fought so one sides elite can be richer, have more land, more power. That's not worth dying for.

We're talking about this hypothetical example.

Quick Reply

Latest