The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Glasgow - Edinburgh Commute?

Hi there, i live the the S. Side of Glasgow and was wondering - as i really do not want to move away from home - would it be possible to commute to the uni? Thoughts? Thank you!! :smile:
You could - probably be quite pricey though.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Cross country single from Glasgow to Edinburgh is £8, not too bad. It depends how easily you could get to central in the mornings really. I've been commuting from Lanarkshire to Edinburgh for work for over a year now, it hasn't been too bad, tbh.
It's do-able. I did Ayrshire to Edinburgh everyday in second year and whilst it was tough and seemed expensive at first, it saved me a lot of money by not needing to rent for a 12 month lease. It was roughly £400 for a season ticket from Ayrshire to Edinburgh via Glasgow, so it'll be a bit cheaper since you're already in Glasgow, but I only needed to buy 7 of them since we're only had uni for 7-8 months out of the year. One note though, Queen street to Waverley gets very busy in the mornings, even before the train has arrived at the platform so get there early to get a seat!
Reply 4
Hi Phil,

As with everything, it depends what your objectives are - what is your opportunity cost. Are you constraint by a budget, time and/or other obligations? How many times per week? How quickly do you get tired? Do you have to get to and fro at particular times? How long will it take you from your home to the Queens Station? How important is it to use university's facilities (library, labs, gym, workshops, student associations, etc.) and to be in touch with fellow students? Are you concerned only with tutorials/seminars attendance or do you want the whole student experience?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending