The Student Room Group

Would volunteering in a charity shop for a month be enough work experience?

I never did work experience in a retail setting and i'm finding it next to impossible to get a part time job in retail.

The thought of volunteering in a charity shop as experience has only just occurred to me.

I'm at home for the summer and go back to uni at the end of September. I was wondering if a month of charity work until I go back to University will be enough work experience for me to be able to get part time paid retail jobs once I return to university?

Thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by kayyyy_x
I never did work experience in a work setting and i'm finding it next to impossible to get a part time job in retail.

The thought of volunteering in a charity shop as experience has only just occurred to me.

I'm at home for the summer and go back to uni at the end of September. I was wondering if a month of charity work until I go back to University will be enough work experience for me to be able to get part time paid retail jobs once I return to university?

Thanks!

Well, you could try :wink:
Reply 2
It should be okay, as long as you have a good reference (if they ask for one) :smile:
It won't do any harm. But I can't see it adding any real value either...

Make the most of you university's student services (i.e. employability people!) - make sure your CV sounds great and you'll get there in the end.
Original post by Levingne
It should be okay, as long as you have a good reference (if they ask for one) :smile:

I agree.
Plus, you could always volunteer while at uni as well until you find a part time job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending