Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im finding the quantative electrolysis questions hard, could somebody tell me how to answer this:

'This is the equation at the cathode when sodium chloride solution is electrolysed -

2H+ + 2e- -------> H2

What mass of hydrogen is given off when a current of 2 amp flows for 1 hour?(One mole of hydrogen atoms is produced from 96000 coulombs of electricity)'

ReputationRep:
    Is this for double science? Eeeeek

Is the answer 0.15g? Or am I talking rubbish?

ReputationRep:
    I need to know how to work it out because I have no idea, can anybody help?

ReputationRep:
    What is the answer though? And again, is this for double or triple award science, because I haven't really learnt about that?

ReputationRep:
    for single science higher, If you havnt dont it dont worry, I dunno what the answer is I havnt got the mark scheme. (triple award).

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I do triple award (higher) as well! This is worrying! Which exam board do you take? I really have no idea with this question though, sorry. If it's Edexcel then I have the mark schemes for a couple of papers, but it doesn't look like anything I've ever come across before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john..........)
    Im finding the quantative electrolysis questions hard, could somebody tell me how to answer this:

'This is the equation at the cathode when sodium chloride solution is electrolysed -

2H+ + 2e- -------> H2

What mass of hydrogen is given off when a current of 2 amp flows for 1 hour?(One mole of hydrogen atoms is produced from 96000 coulombs of electricity)'
    OK, this is probably wrong, but I'm going to give it a shot

Charge = Current x time = 2 x (60 x 60) = 7200 C

If 1 mole of hydrogen atoms is produced from 96000 C, then 7200/96000 moles of hydrogen atoms are produced from 7200 C

RMM H2 = 2

mass of H2 = (7200/96000) x 2 = 0.15 g

Does this make any sense? I don't think it's right, cause I totally disregarded the ionic equation...

ReputationRep:
    it may be right, thanks for trying.

ReputationRep:
    I just realised that I used 9600 C instead of 96000. It's edited, and now I've got the same answer as Excalibur got originally, so maybe it's right?

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.