Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i did pyb4 this morning and although i revised a lot i think i meessed it up :-( Did anyone else do it? If so, what q's did you answer?
    The labelling explanation of schizophrenia...was that just asking you wht a consequence of labelling is?
    xxxxxxxxx
    Plus, does anyone know the grade boundaries, and do they change from year to year ? thanksxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    I did the parapsychology, criminology and social development questions. I revised and learnt so many studies but didn't seem to use very many. I'm very worried! Parapsychology and criminology questions were quite tricky I thought, I blagged so much of that paper! Argh

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    Yeah i did PYB4 today and that is not an experience i would like to repeat seen as thats my second attempt at it! Only got a D in January so should easily have improved on it..

I did . . .
    Question 3 which was moral development
    Question 6 - anxiety and eating disorders
    and
    Question 7 - mood disorders and schizophrenia.

With the labelling question i basically said...
    It has been suggested that 'mental illness' does not actually exist, and the term schizophrenia is used to classify people who do not conform.
    Then I mentioned the study where sane people were sent to a mental health hospital and even though they acted normally they could not convince the nurses that they were sane... even sane behaviour was interpreted as 'schizophrenic'
    Then went on to say that the label 'schizophrenic' creates expectations from other people as well as the sufferer and this may explain why the condition is maintained.

Can't actually remember the wording of the question whether it was asking what labelling was or what the consequences are... so god knows how i've done!!

I didn't like the 12 mark question on biological approaches to bi and uni polar depression... just blabbed on about genetics and biochemistry but didnt really have much to say as i didnt really revise the bio approach in too much depth.

Just glad its over now.. just need to get ready for next weeks synoptic paper which is gonna be a killer!!

x x

ReputationRep:
    OMG
    it was soooo random?
    I did
    Cognitive development - easy apart from C, that was just weird? did anyone else think?

Mood disorders - i thought this was ok, part from, i got cofused between schiz and mood d. sojst hope i wrote with what goes with what!

Could think of a study for therapty of schiz - so kinda half made it up about family therapise!

And criminolgy - that was awful, the questions were weird! just dont know what on there!

Im hoping for 41 out of 60!
    as i need this on each paper for an A overall which i need for uni!

hows everyone else feel about it?
    I just thought the questions were on small aspects rather than a whole theory?
    Jen x

ReputationRep:
    C in cog. development was quite weird..wasn't really like any other past papers...I just talked about 3 moutains & hugh's contradictory evidence, then about his beaker task & mcgarrigle and donaldson's naughty teddy, then going on to evaluate him saying although he was challenged by contradictory evidence,his theory holds weight although the stages may nt be as rigid as suggested.
    Labelling - yeh i put something like that just checking, but mine wasn't worded very well at all. Rosenhan's study i think? that's what i wrote anyway lol! Oh dear i should have learnt Bruner and kenneys study lol :-( xxx so 41 is an a ? what doyou need over whole a-level out of 600 to get an a then? xxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Schizophrenia study was Paul and Lentz (1977) operant conditioning & biochemical/biological - Teuting et al & bi-polar - Price (genetics)
    xxx

Doesn';t anyone else feel PYB5 will be a bit easier? cos we're familiar with the approaches through PYB1,2 and PYB4?
    And debates isn't too bad.
    SAying that i hvnt started much revision yet. I hate stats too :-)xxxx

ReputationRep:
    I did cogntive development which was reasonable, anxiety and eating diorders, of which i had to completely blag my way through (c) because i couldn't remember the psychodynamic explanations, and i did mood disorders, of which i made a complete mess of (b) because i couldn't think of a study! so overall i think i've done pretty rubbish!

ReputationRep:
    How much did u write and what about on cfor cog developmnt? and on anxiety - psychodynamic?xxx

ReputationRep:
    well you need 480! but
    i got
    last year
    then this year I got 83 on coursework which adds up to: 334
    so 480 - 334 = 146!

which equals 73 per paper,however as its only out of 60, u have 2 devide by 1.75
    so basically i need 41.5 in each paper!

I did the same for piagets, but it was sooo muddled, + i gig hughes study round!
    however i did remeber moor and frye, proved naughty teddy was a distraction!

the exam went so quick, didnt check it so cud of wrote nething!

i did a family theory for schiz study?is that rite?
    also, i did scheff 66 labelling is that correct or not?

so hope i do well in next weeks!

ReputationRep:
    hey. the easiest study to write about would have been paul and lentz (1977) who investigated the use of operant conditioning in schizophrenia.xxx

ReputationRep:
    we never covered it? so i havnt got a clue about it! infact we did literally no studies! it was awful, just like we never covered C, part of criminology? what grade are u aiming for? what do you need?
    Jen x

ReputationRep:
    Yeah learning studies is a bugger anyway lol. I'm doing psyc. a2 distance learning cos my school stopped doing it at AS cos they were so crap at teaching. Hoping to get a B, well i need a B for uni. I'd be more than happy with that :-) Got a B last year but judging by the paper yesterday, there's no way i can bring it up to an A lol. What about you? Did you have the book advanced psychology: atypical behaviour? it had loads and loads of studies to quote in? xxxxxxx p.S. Did it ask for a study for a therapy for schiz.? cos that's what i wrote about lol xxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    My mum bought me stack of books, most applyy to spec A tho, bit of a bummer!
    I got the Pennington advanced psychology, its ok but i dont use it!
    at our college, we get a handout for each topic, we go through it and study writes notes etc, we do end up with alot of useless crap! however!

I really need to the A for uni! its so awful as yesterdays went sooo awful!

Ok stufy for schiz -- we actually HAVNT COVERED ANY FULL STUDIES canu beleieve it, so i kind of new of one and made it up - how sick am i! haha!
    i did one on family therapies, basically some 'researcher' did therapy on a family and on a indidivual, More people in indidivudal therapy relapsed than the people as a family unit! haha mite get 2 out of 5? - I would say a fair attempt! haha!

I did Hughes study wrong! leats i got his name, and the principle write, although i did draw a picture --> can u even do that?

my marker is gona think --> wat a weirdo? as i had 2 minutes aswel so on last queistion wrote in short hand!

as in S.T and L.T -->
    And i think im gona get an A (well i dont think) im just predicted!
    haha!

what u thinkin al come up on PYB5?

ReputationRep:
    Aww no i'm sure you did well, the famioly therapy thing sounds like a good blag actually!
    How do u mean u did hughs study wrong?
    I actually have no idea i haven't really looked that much at it :-( *cries*xxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    lol when i was writing it , i jst thought this is wrong, i havnt looked at my notes, concentrating for next weeks exam!
    altho only jst started, as i went shopping and out so...lol!
    u started revision for this nexten!
    jen x

ReputationRep:
    lol! ahh well everyone needs some time to relax! I been pretty hectic cos i'm a barmaid and imagine how busy the pub gets with the footy...lol..but i started revision for pyb5 today. I do psyc. distance learning and i just left pyb5 so i better get learning turbo fast!!!
    Do you reckon PYB5 may be easier? I think there's slightly less to learn, plus for perspectives, we learnt quite a lot about each perspective from pyb4? :-) xxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Lol, tell me about it, i work in a pub to, problem is i cant say no 2 working, so i work most days! bad bad! lol then even said it doesnt matter if i fail because al always have a job with them! i jst thought OMG I NEED 2 REVISE i cant hack DOIN THIS!
    lol

Yeh it seems a little easier,
    I done the biological perpective today,
    some research methods
    and now going to do the debate?
    You any idea of the Jan 2006 12 mark for perspective and debates?

I need to turbo learn to!
    lol xxx

ReputationRep:
    Me too lol tut tut hehehe. I was wrking last night and thought eek i should be at home swatting! Talk about turbo learning, i've just been looking through past papers and realised I don't know anything! I tried to question spot, although there doesn't look like any obvious indication of what might be coming up. In regard to the nature-nurture debate, does anyone know a study that i could quote? Cos there's a q that talks about research into nature-nurture and support for the nature side. Hmm? Stumped....
    I don't mind the research methods so much! I did at first though!! How did everyone else do on their cw? xxxx

ReputationRep:
    lol, same as i was working, they asked about my exams, and i just thought lets not got there as i shud b at home! going 2 a few parties as well this weekend but lol.
    nature and nurture is pretty easy for studies:
    basically any biological study you know if pretty much gonna apply to nature.
    and any behavioural is gona go to nurture?
    Thats what i got told!

How did u do on your cwk?

jen x

ReputationRep:
    Hehehe yeh my boss was so sweet to me i felt bad saying i cant work like for a month seeing as i just started there lol. Ok so it could be anything, say Bandura for social learning (Nurture) and Bowlby's maternal deprivation hypothesis for nature? As in all children are born with an innate need for attachment to later develop healthy relationships eventually leading to reproduction? Hmm lol.
    i got 57/60 on my cw, but my grade last year was a middle B. I can't get my grade up to an A now it's impossible, but I hope i get a B for uni :-/ What about you and ur cw?
    You off to uni? :-)xxx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 16, 2006

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.